VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
emamabd said:
so what makes other cities different then?
GTA is far more populated with high frequency of immigrants. General impression is that there are fewer jobs there than the number of residents. So yes, it is considered a pretty bad choice for a new immigrant in terms of job prospects.

Almost any other city / province in Canada is supposedly easier to get jobs. Alberta and BC - the general reputation is that economy there is booming, lots of new businesses and hence more jobs created frequently. Still not a large population. Remote / Cold provinces are considered easy because far fewer people are willing to go and live there. Those who do, do not stay for a very long time

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
fkl said:
GTA is far more populated with high frequency of immigrants. General impression is that there are fewer jobs there than the number of residents. So yes, it is considered a pretty bad choice for a new immigrant in terms of job prospects.

Almost any other city / province in Canada is supposedly easier to get jobs. Alberta and BC - the general reputation is that economy there is booming, lots of new businesses and hence more jobs created frequently. Still not a large population. Remote / Cold provinces are considered easy because far fewer people are willing to go and live there. Those who do, do not stay for a very long time
interesting, i haven't been to other cities yet - i only experienced toronto.

So far it worked for me, it did take me a while to get my first job (almost 5 months)..however - thankfully - i'm in the same job level which i was before immigrating so i can't complain.

In my views (and also statistics wise) toronto has the largest number of jobs, but because everybody lands here - employers get the chance to pick and choose which made it extremely difficult for newcomers to succeed and make it through.

If finding a job is less of a hassle in other cities, then for sure that makes them more suitable for newcomers.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Floxzy said:
Unfortunately even if the Government of Canada hands out 5thousand dollars to all immigrant families monthly, some will still come here and write posts like this kind. Its very unfortunate. I dont know what city you are in Canada but from the way you sound, you seem to have generalized your plight to be same for most people across Canada. I also dont know your family size but I do know the government of Canada pays child tax benefit to families earning below 30k CAD or thereabout. My family is in Calgary and we only landed about 4months ago and myself and my husband are already on decent jobs. I think you need to get your priorities right. You said you cut grasses and clear snow??? I dont get that part as I am yet to see people on the road clearing snow and cutting grasses, yes humans do that but under contract through the city of calgary which is a government agency. You also claim to wash dishes and toilets. Haba! what is your problem. There are far more desirable survival jobs for skilled workers to chose from at stores, warehouses, factories etc. Why toilet washing and plate washing? Please I want to know what part of Canada you are truly because things are just not adding up with your case. Now look at this, you claim you dont have a good job and can barely survive, yet you want to sponsor your parent via super-visa and money is now a problem. How can you think like this? As a PR your parent can come with a normal visitors visa and stay for 6months, go and return, stay for another 6months etc. I dont get how you make your priorities. It sound like you actually need help with planning your life and not the government of Canada. Please stop spreading falsehood, whether its so in your case or not doesnt make it the right thing to say about Canada. My kids child tax benefit for this month was 960CAD so for my rent of 1000CAD, I only need to add 40dollars to pay the rent while the rest money can go into utilities and other family matters. eventually we will land our dream jobs but still we thank God for Canada. God help us.
Well, that says it all -- you and your husband have decent jobs, but you are also receiving the maximum amount for the child tax benefit. No doubt you are also receiving the Alberta subsidy for child care. I'll take the original poster, thank you.

As for someone who landed in Calgary four months ago and found a decent job -- well, check back in within a year. The original poster has told the truth about difficulties. When two parents work, one of their salaries will basically cover child care. The second salary has to cover rent, which means an apartment and not a house. When you rent an apartment, foreign relatives cannot just come and visit at will -- it requires various permissions.

As for low level jobs -- there is nothing more disgusting than someone who looks down on a person who works to support their family, no matter what they do. Likewise with your cringing attitude that the poster should not 'criticize Canada'. What kind of backwards attitudes are these? Not Canadian, that's for sure. When I came to Canada I worked for a year in a grocery store; and I have two master degrees. This is a very common experience. Personally, I believe that only someone who is living in economic fear would write like you do -- i suspect that your good jobs are not as secure as you would like, today. Remember -- last hired, first fired.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
on-hold said:
Well, that says it all -- you and your husband have decent jobs, but you are also receiving the maximum amount for the child tax benefit. No doubt you are also receiving the Alberta subsidy for child care. I'll take the original poster, thank you.

As for someone who landed in Calgary four months ago and found a decent job -- well, check back in within a year. The original poster has told the truth about difficulties. When two parents work, one of their salaries will basically cover child care. The second salary has to cover rent, which means an apartment and not a house. When you rent an apartment, foreign relatives cannot just come and visit at will -- it requires various permissions.

As for low level jobs -- there is nothing more disgusting than someone who looks down on a person who works to support their family, no matter what they do. Likewise with your cringing attitude that the poster should not 'criticize Canada'. What kind of backwards attitudes are these? Not Canadian, that's for sure. When I came to Canada I worked for a year in a grocery store; and I have two master degrees. This is a very common experience. Personally, I believe that only someone who is living in economic fear would write like you do -- i suspect that your good jobs are not as secure as you would like, today. Remember -- last hired, first fired.
+1 on-hold - fully agreed. Being rude to people who were unfortunate to have a hard experience is in no way acceptable.

Plus i simply don't understand how people try to generalize specially if they individually have a good experience.

Before any one starts crying out loud, i was recruited from over seas for a NOC A job, came here as a skilled worker already employed and am doing pretty good. However, when i check the average cases around, cases like me are far rare. And that was specially because my employer was looking for a specialized skill and experience which is hard to find. There is a higher percentage of people who have tough experiences. So yes i feel for the OP and just hope he keeps trying and change his location.

I know a couple of well educated families who had very hard initial 2-3 years - but then they finally got options and are doing good now. So just hold on and try other locations. Specially remote ones. All the best.

Lastly, Canada has its own problems. Child benefits don't kick for foreign workers until 18 months. And they are not really significant except a couple of provinces.

The health care advertised as free has its own issues.

All this being said there are plenty of good things that contribute to the over all experience and image one chalks out after living here. If that is positive, you are good, if not, you should really reconsider your options.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
@on-hold
agreed how can people become so insensitive.I have seen so many people who think they r privileged and others are all beneath them. we all at some point came from poor countries and are hear to make our lives better. People are so selfish.

canadadreamming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
The problem is not that people are insensitive but the OP apparently faked a story. This story has no credibility and especially when it is put in Express Entry Thread which is a mean to deter other from applying. It is so obvious that the OP is a EE applicant and just wants to scare other people away so that he can get a chance in the queue. Canada is a huge country with lots of opportunities and I've yet heard of anyone immigrated to Canada without doing much much better than in my home country. People even get jobs within a week of landing. If there is not shortage of jobs, do you think the government would be so stupid to spend so much money recruiting immigrants from program such as EE?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
canadadreamming said:
The problem is not that people are insensitive but the OP apparently faked a story. This story has no credibility and especially when it is put in Express Entry Thread which is a mean to deter other from applying. It is so obvious that the OP is a EE applicant and just wants to scare other people away so that he can get a chance in the queue. Canada is a huge country with lots of opportunities and I've yet heard of anyone immigrated to Canada without doing much much better than in my home country. People even get jobs within a week of landing. If there is not shortage of jobs, do you think the government would be so stupid to spend so much money recruiting immigrants from program such as EE?
What total hogwash. Are you saying that Canadian researchers and government officials, who agree with the original poster, are lying? Google the following:

MacLeans: Canada, Land of Misfortune

York University: Well-Educated Immigrants Fare Poorly in the Canadian Labour Force

University of British Columbia: Why Do Recent Immigrants to Canada Struggle in the Labour Market?

Statcan: Recognition of newcomers' foreign credentials and work experience

I've never seen such stupidity as I encountered on this thread. It is well understood that many skilled immigrants come to Canada and encounter terrible barriers, and that these are compounded by things that are frequently not an issue where they come from, such as child care and the incredibly overpriced Canadian housing market. And yet you have idiots claiming this guy hasn't somehow tried hard enough (as if all it takes is hard work); and idiots claiming that he is posting this to try and reduce the pool of applicants (honestly?); and idiots making fun of him for failing (you know, when you are working as hard as you can to support your family, at work you never thought you would have to do, it forces you to think. That is something that many posters here have evidently not had to do -- and some of them have not even emigrated yet, but are not ashamed to tell this guy, who recognizes the trap that he is in, that he is wrong).

I'm an American with a Canadian degree -- I fit into Canada like a Chinese businessman in Hong Kong -- and I had terrible trouble getting established. I don't even want to think how hard it could be, if I was an immigrant from elsewhere, with an accent that I can't disguise, who looks different, has different manners, and a degree from some university Canadians have never heard of, trying to find a foothold. And then trying to do that all in an 8-month winter, which can be unutterably depressing. Nothing is more isolating -- and people back home have no idea, they think that you are living some sort of amazing life, when the reality is you have fallen to the bottom of Canadian society, and have to struggle just to maintain a rented apartment. Reading this thread just makes me wonder whether the world is dominated by stupidity or cruelty, but in fact they probably co-exist in equal measures.

Reactions: Svet81

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
I agree that OP is 100% sincere because I am in the same situation.Its hard to find a job in Canada with an education and experience from another country (especially third world country).There are 1000s of job postings but if you apply you wont get any response.Some people told me here most of the recruitment are through reference and job posting are just for a formality.So if you have contacts here its easy.I am not sure whether people migrated from other first world country also struggled here.Because some people say they got good job very soon.Either they have reference or they are from ...........

I worked as a computer programmer in Dubai for 2 years before migration to Canada.I couldn't find a job in my field or any decent job.I ended up working in a factory (through agency) lifting heavy boxes repeatedly.I had to resign my job after 2 years because I had a back injury and was so burned out.I am apply for a job for several months now.No response.Only jobs I will get is factory job through agency.That also we have to go to agency in person.If you send email they wont respond.I cannot lift anymore heavy weight.So cant do factory jobs anymore.

My parents are pretty old and there is nobody to take care of them.I cannot bring them every 6 months on visit visa as suggested by a poster.They are not that healthy to travel every 6 months.I too want to sponsor my parents like the OP.But its impossible for me now.I understand his worries.

People also advised me to move to another province.But without much money its hard to move and settle in another province.Thats true.I am not sure about the job opportunity in other provinces.Any way it will be better than Toronto because most of the new immigrants settle in Toronto.I tried Edmonton first and then Toronto.But no luck.I decided to go to college and I am hoping for a good future.

My suggestion to OP is one of you do a factory work and other go to college.You will get OSAP. Once the person who went to college gets a good job then the other can go to college.One person have to do a sacrifice few years for a better life for your family.Thats what most of the couples do.If you both do labor job then you both will always do that.Wont progress.

Long back new immigrants struggle 2-3 years and after that they get settled.But now its not like that.

See positive sides too.That will give inspiration to achieve.Your kids will have a better life in Canada for sure.Thats a positive thing.

Millions of people are struggling to get citizenship/PR in Canada.You are lucky you go it.So be positive.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
While I received many positive messages and encourages, this forum shows me that this world are full of ignorant and rude people. I hope these people will get PR as soon as possible and move to Canada and then let them have the experience me and my family as well as many other immigrant family have gone through.

I have took a short trip to Edmonton and Calgary earlier this month, although there are still labourer jobs, these are not rosy any more. Everywhere in Alberta people are worried about massive layoff and budget deficit. The oil and gas industry is collapsing and sooner or later there will be massive exodus of jobs from Alberta to elsewhere.

For those who think you can easily get 2nd career opportunity and believe in free study, OSAP etc will be the miracle to help you find job, you have to apply to them and know what you will get. For OSAP if you do have some income (from the whole family) or asset (including settlement fund you brought), they will not give you the full amount or any money at all and it is only a loan and you have to repay with interest once you are out of school no matter whether you have jobs or not. For 2nd career, you need to work and be laid off and they do not have funding for all so applications are prioritized by the length of time you work. Not every new comer will be able to get funding easily from government. For welfare, forget about it!

To the ruddest ever poster, canadadreamming, you can be sure that I am not competing with you for a spot on EE because I am already a PR.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Like others have said already, i am amazed at the intellect of the so called current EE applicants. It is basic internet and human etiquette to respect others and not perceive things negatively unless you have a very strong ground to see that. And i see none here. It is a perfectly realistic situation which with some pluses or minuses, i have heard from many others. A few i even know first hand as family friends. So its safe to say when some one points it out to be an apparently fake story, buddy you really don't know what you are talking about and you badly need to brush up on your manners to progress any where in life.

Discuss situations and objectives. Internet forums are not for being judgmental.

@ deerestlovelybear - trying to show some silver lining. I got a friend who had like around 15 years of HR experience from a major National airline in a 3rd world country. He struggled hard here for some 3 years mostly living in Mississauga though he applied and was willing to move any where. But he simply didn't get called ever for interviews and was forced to do odd jobs. Finally he got an entry level HR role in a company in a remote part of Saskatchewan. It was equivalent to Canadian national average income but he accepted and moved. 6 months down the road, a director level position opened up in another department of the same company. He applied, was interviewed and chosen out of a pretty large pool of candidates. So things are settled for him now thankfully. But 6-7 months ago, he was ready to go back and was finding it hard to do that.

If Alberta doesn't sound that promising, try BC / Vancouver as well. A lot of people are moving there from other parts of Canada. Finally i am not absolutely sure of your profession details. But Ottawa although being not that big, is considered to have the best ratio of income and jobs to the cost of living i.e. cost of living is far lower than say Toronto but salaries are comparable. Since i work in IT, i can only say about that with confidence that Ottawa is a central market of this industry. But it should be worth trying out. Plus it is not that far from GTA compared to Alberta.

One caveat though. Many jobs in Ottawa are government based, which means bilingualism would be a requirement.

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
I actually have a Canadian Ph.D. and found it hard to get a job in Canada. Most of my peers are doing post-doc OUTSIDE Canada, as Canada has no jobs for Ph.D. This is especially the case if you do not have perfectly fluent English, but actual English communication is important in most jobs. I left the country a few years ago and can easily find jobs in countries outside Canada. My pay in my first post-graduate job is higher than 70-80% of people in Canada.

Only ignorant people believe that jobless people are lazy. Canadian economy has never been good in the past 20-25 years.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
specialmary said:
Only ignorant people believe that jobless people are lazy. Canadian economy has never been good in the past 20-25 years.
Agree, i did meet people who "on paper" have all the criteria needed to succeed here..and they tried hard, but somehow it didn't happen. Things can go wrong, even for those who are working in professional jobs (i.e. layoffs, etc).

the canadian dollar is at its lowest ever compared to the USD, the economy sucks and so does the job market.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
Nobody can be lazy and "whining" only, the have the fire behind their back and if they do not constantly looking for job, they gonna end up in very very terrible conditions in Canada. In Ontario, you can get some income support if you are jobless but that is only 650 for a single person and around 1K for a couple, it is not even sufficient to pay rent, and if you have any income, they deduct from that support so relying on welfare is not an option in Canada unless you want to live in conditions unimaginable (live in shelter with mentally challenged people who do not bathe for many months, eat crappy food or canned food that is near to expiry date, drink water from public toilet etc). It is very sad to see many rude people who look down on the less fortunate and generalize that everyone in bad situations are lazy. Canadian economy has never been rosy, it is just that there is a lot of hype and untrue stories told by immigrants to people back home that cause them to think that Canada is a paradise.