fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
The OP is in Onatrio which is harder usually for a first job.

The point is some people have good experience, others have worst.

I have seen a tendency in youngsters specially the PGWP holders to quickly dismiss the already PR - more experienced lot having difficulty with finding jobs as incompetent, which only shows in part - their frustration, and in part their limited insight into this whole scenario.

The thing is, Canada values local experience more - just like any other part of the world. So one might have to start from scratch irrespective of the field in many cases (barring few exceptions).

For a fresh grad, especially if he is educated here, it is easier and not a big deal. For some with 15 years of experience and a management role back home, it is far harder and has little to do with individual skills.

I have seen people struggle for years but then finally making it through. I had a friend who was an HR professional with 10 years of experience before coming here. He had to change his domain after first coming here (GTA region), had to do certifications in HR from here and still wasn't able to find a job in his field for about 3 years.

Finally he got one in a remote province, worked there for a year or so, then interviewed and qualified for a director position.

He is pretty settled now. But until his last year and current position he was ready to leave Canada to go back because he mostly didn't even get interview calls, though he is probably among the brightest people in HR i would have known - and i know quite a good lot.

And before some one starts crying about his own skills - no i had a much smoother route. I am in a specialized software domain area with many years of experience, was recruited out of home country, so didn't have to face this dilemma. Still this is very real and can happen to any one, so be prepared.

Reactions: Svet81

fpaikar

Jul 15, 2013
I agree with you FKL .In my suggestion a person with lot of experience back home should come prepared and come first without family.Most likely one has to do some odd jobs initially and study and then gather some Canadian experience in their own field that is by volunteering and some good networking and then start from beginning again in their respective field.For people with lot of experience I would not recommend leaving a decent life back home and coming in here without a job offer.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
fpnc2983 said:
yup. I have a cousin in alberta who was a head nurse back home.
equivalent to a supervisory position.
he went to canada via the live in caregiver program after 2 years he became PR and he had to do some schooling first
and eventually landed in a home care as a LPN or licensed practical nurse which is only equivalent to a nurse aide in our country of origin.

if you look at it, my cousin was already a registered nurse, graduated cum laude 4 years bachelor degree. with 5 years or so exp yet he started as a caregiver and had to go back to school to be a license practical nurse which is in our country you can finished in two years.
but since canadian healthcare has a different setting and standards. he told me if he wants to become a true registered nurse he has to study again for 2 or 3 years max and challenge the canadian board exams.

me and my wife are FSW applicants,i am a nurse and she is an hr practicioner. degree holders and some 5 years work exp in our home country, if God willing canada is for us, I would not expect to immediately to work in the industry we are in. start from the bottom. possible opportunities ahead are still better than the current situation where we are right now.

while the thread starter has maybe a different and unfortunate case but i have read that he is looking for a white collar job. im not sure what province he is in though.
you can safely assume that any jobless whiner is probably from the GTA region in Ontario :p

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
carl321 said:
Ive being applying for a lot of jobs in Canada and theres no positive feedback at all.. not even a single email.. in the US you apply and you will hear back from them for sure( which is great).
My wife and I haven't had that experience. Do you have a fair amount of experience?

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kateg said:
My wife and I haven't had that experience. Do you have a fair amount of experience?
Im applying from the US though... Im looking for both manufacturing and IT jobs (BS in IT and MS in engineering)

Jobs that i have applied via company websites, I keep getting rejected which is fair enough.. but ones thru the job bank (personal emails) no reply at all

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
carl321 said:
Im applying from the US though... Im looking for both manufacturing and IT jobs (BS in IT and MS in engineering)

Jobs that i have applied via company websites, I keep getting rejected which is fair enough.. but ones thru the job bank (personal emails) no reply at all
if u r looking from US its difficult I can say from experience I couldnt find one job in canada from US. I can get a job within a day in US as opposed to canada its been months now and thats with canadian education. Canadian job market is mostly accessed by networking and we outsiders dont have canadian networks. Very few online replies without canadian experience unless ur field is super hot. Manufacturing and IT people are a dime a dozen.
Jobs r far easier in US than in canada even finding a sponsor in US is easier . only thing canada has going is its easy immigration policy(which is getting difficult day by day)
thats just my personal experience.

Reactions: Svet81

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
carl321 said:

Ahh. That would do it.

With the company I'm working for now, they just toss in the trash any resume that's not from Canada, as there are so many of them. We're trying to pick up a LMIA, and will advertise, but there are so many people we can't legally hire.

If they do hire a foreigner, it will be because they can't find any Canadians, and then they will hire someone amazing. Given the literally hundreds of foreign applicants to the posting, it's hard to respond to everyone. The Canadians get a response, the foreigners don't.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kateg said:
Ahh. That would do it.

With the company I'm working for now, they just toss in the trash any resume that's not from Canada, as there are so many of them. We're trying to pick up a LMIA, and will advertise, but there are so many people we can't legally hire.

If they do hire a foreigner, it will be because they can't find any Canadians, and then they will hire someone amazing. Given the literally hundreds of foreign applicants to the posting, it's hard to respond to everyone. The Canadians get a response, the foreigners don't.
This is very common :(.

adrscuds

Jun 22, 2014
Curitiba - Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NS - 19/10/15
Doc's Request.
28/11/2016
Nomination.....
02/12/2016
IELTS Request
S 7.5 | L 8 | R 8.5 | W 6.5
In some cases, people need to take two steps back in order to take one step ahead!

Keep that in mind!

canadadreamming

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
Stop talking bull sh*t! It is very easy to get jobs in Canada, I am in here and I know it well, even send some random resumes also got call for interview. As long as you are decent, chose the right place to land, you will get what you want. Why are these people just flock to Toronto and then complain, there are plenty of jobs in Canada to take, most difficult is just to get PR, once you get PR, jobs is just a piece of cake

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
deerestlovelybear said:
Hi guys,

Looking at this excitement about applying for PR reminding me and my family of years ago when we was as excited as you guys applying for Permanent Resident. I still remember the date I got my PR visas for the entire family, it was like we are going to a paradise, it was the best day in our life, we was so happy.

But now the reality of a broken dream in Canada is killing us day by day. Since the day we landed in this land, supposed to be our dream new home, we have sent countless of job applications. We followed all the advices, we volunteered and work for free and being exploited till we could not stand any more. My wife and I both took turn going back to school and spent the last dollar of savings into our last investment in a hope of landing a white collar job. We are not looking for jobs that pay 100K, all we need is a decent white collar job that we do not have to hide our qualifications and experience back home, a job that feed our family and do not leave our back so painful we cannot sleep at night. Over 3 years since we are here, all we have are surviving jobs, we shoved snow, cut grass, cleaned toilet, watched over shops at night in dangerous areas, yet we are not able to save any money and we spent all our hard earned money we got before we came to Canada. We want our parents here to help taking care of the kids while we upgrade ourselves but the insurance cost of super visa is forbidden barrier and it is almost impossible to sponsor them to Canada, even the 5000 lucky people submitting application on the 1st day of the year when application is opened and earn tons of $$ to meet the income requirements need to wait over 10 years till the time their parent can come to Canada as PR.

The market here is simply too small and there is absolutely no white collar job for immigrants unless you already have family or friends who are in the position of hiring you. People here are nice but this is simply too small an economy to absorb the huge number of skilled immigrants each year. Canada has been admitting a quarter of million skilled workers every year over the past decades and if you look at the number of jobs created last year, you know where those people will end up to. Canada now is not like Canada in the 1980s and 1990s, the number of jobs created each year barely match the number of local graduates and schools here increase the intake year by year because international students is a huge source of their revenue. I am totally shocked at why the government keep adding too many skilled immigrants to the country every year despite the brutal reality and hardship that these immigrants have to go to. This is clearly inhumane and misleading. Many families from other countries are leaving everything behind in the false hope of a better life in Canada just to realize that there is nothing for them here and they have to clean toilet, wash dishes or drive taxi. No matter if you have PhD or are managers back home, there is nothing for you here to use your skills and knowledge.

If the purpose is to recruit foreign skilled workers to do labourer job then what about Canadian youth who are jobless and desperate to earn some money to pay back their tuition loan? I totally do not understand the system, it is completely a scam and it is brutal. Just last week I was laid off from my security guard job, turned out that it was filled by another young immigrant. I am pretty sure he get less than what I earned which is just slightly above the minimum wage for a night shift job. And now the winter is brutal, and our family is turning to meagre social assistant and EI that is hardly enough to put foot on the table. We do not know what to do, it is harsh here. We want to go back, but the thought of being looked at like a "loser" make us feel so painful. Everyday I look at the snow, I just feel like we made the worst decision to leave everything behind and we are paying for that decision.
Sad story indeed

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadadreamming said:
Stop talking bull sh*t! It is very easy to get jobs in Canada, I am in here and I know it well, even send some random resumes also got call for interview. As long as you are decent, chose the right place to land, you will get what you want. Why are these people just flock to Toronto and then complain, there are plenty of jobs in Canada to take, most difficult is just to get PR, once you get PR, jobs is just a piece of cake
With my personal experience here in the US;

I believe you.. My biggest hurdle here is I'm a third class citizen.. if I have had a green card; I would have easily landed a 6 figure paying job

Canada PR should work the same way.. Ofcourse you should be well educated and well spoken.. otherwise doesn't matter who you are or how many years of exp you have.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
carl321 said:
With my personal experience here in the US;

I believe you.. My biggest hurdle here is I'm a third class citizen.. if I have had a green card; I would have easily landed a 6 figure paying job

Canada PR should work the same way.. Ofcourse you should be well educated and well spoken.. otherwise doesn't matter who you are or how many years of exp you have.
well good luck when you land, but don't underestimate the job market situation in canada.