+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BREAKING NEWS Bill C-6 finally passed in HoC, Now reading in Senate

dell

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not trying to get off topic here. I don't think we should spend much time trying to support this bill, instead we should try to lobby to reduce the citizenship processing time. Instead of taking years, the government should commit to a reasonable 3-6 months processing time line.

not sure if you all agree ?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
dell said:
Not trying to get off topic here. I don't think we should spend much time trying to support this bill, instead we should try to lobby to reduce the citizenship processing time. Instead of taking years, the government should commit to a reasonable 3-6 months processing time line.

I agree with you. I rather that the citizenship processing time be reduced than waiting an extra year to qualify.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
dell said:

Both the objectives can be done in single effort(email and call to MPs/senators). Emails and calls can have content for both request. One request don't hurt other and vice versa. It just tells them there are multiple issues and up to them to resolve one or other or both. Problem is there and it is big, not just limited to one issue.

cazrypr

Star Member
May 15, 2012
satwant08 said:
I cant understand what hardship you are facing due to delay in Bill C-6. 3 years or 4 years, how does it matter. you will definitely get your citizenship before the next Election. ;D :D
It makes a big difference from 4 to 3 years as your timeline shows you just came to Canada in 2013 as FSW. It is unfair for applicants like me who are here since 2009 came as a student/ worked on work permit paid tution fee/ paid taxes and when I was about to be eligible for citizenship the new law came in. So it become a matter of 2 to 4 years and not 3 to 4 years. And I think for a person living in Canada legally for almost 8 years is enough to qualify for citizenship.

For your case it would create hardship for you if you about to qualify after 4 years and the new law comes in that your previous time cant be counted and your need 2 more years to qualify how would you feel?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
cazrypr said:
It makes a big difference from 4 to 3 years as your timeline shows you just came to Canada in 2013 as FSW. It is unfair for applicants like me who are here since 2009 came as a student/ worked on work permit paid tution fee/ paid taxes and when I was about to be eligible for citizenship the new law came in. So it become a matter of 2 to 4 years and not 3 to 4 years. And I think for a person living in Canada legally for almost 8 years is enough to qualify for citizenship.

For your case it would create hardship for you if you about to qualify after 4 years and the new law comes in that your previous time cant be counted and your need 2 more years to qualify how would you feel?
No offense to you. You were paying for tuition to study in an university to get a degree. You were not applying for citizenship when you applied for a study visa to Canada.

Yes. You had to wait an extra 2 years towards qualification for citizenship due to losing pre-PR credit. What happens after you get your citizenship? Nothing changes except you were in Canada a little longer.

cazrypr

Star Member
May 15, 2012
screech339 said:
No offense to you. You were paying for tuition to study in an university to get a degree. You were not applying for citizenship when you applied for a study visa to Canada.

Yes. You had to wait an extra 2 years towards qualification for citizenship due to losing pre-PR credit. What happens after you get your citizenship? Nothing changes except you were in Canada a little longer.
No offence we are here in this forum to discuss. Respectfully you also came under Family class so you wont feel how it matters alot 2 years is a big time after already spending 8-10 years. And you see you fellow student get a better job just because the job requires travelling to other countries so the company wants to hire people with Canadian Passport which is 100% more practical for the company.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
cazrypr said:
No offence we are here in this forum to discuss. Respectfully you also came under Family class so you wont feel how it matters alot 2 years is a big time after already spending 8-10 years. And you see you fellow student get a better job just because the job requires travelling to other countries so the company wants to hire people with Canadian Passport which is 100% more practical for the company.
I agree that those who want to get citizenship in order to get jobs that would allow themselves to travel overseas as some Canadian jobs are required of them. That is an acceptable reason for wanting it sooner. It is, in my opinion, that these group of people are in a minority in comparison to the majority who wants citizenship faster.

dell

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
quasar81 said:
Both the objectives can be done in single effort(email and call to MPs/senators). Emails and calls can have content for both request. One request don't hurt other and vice versa. It just tells them there are multiple issues and up to them to resolve one or other or both. Problem is there and it is big, not just limited to one issue.
I am not against pushing this bill but the issue with pushing this bill is that by the time it goes into effect everyone of us will be eligible for citizenship based on the current rule of 1460 days. The bill has to go through its process just like every other bill.

The problem now is going to be the surge of applications when both the new bill goes into effect and the rest of us putting in application happens at the same time. There will be a surge of maybe half a million applicants for citizenship that month itself, the processing time will go back up to two years.

mevisbleek

Star Member
Jul 18, 2009
dell said:
I am not against pushing this bill but the issue with pushing this bill is that by the time it goes into effect everyone of us will be eligible for citizenship based on the current rule of 1460 days. The bill has to go through its process just like every other bill.

The problem now is going to be the surge of applications when both the new bill goes into effect and the rest of us putting in application happens at the same time. There will be a surge of maybe half a million applicants for citizenship that month itself, the processing time will go back up to two years.
Well said.

I was also affected by C-24,however, I would rather things remain the way they are. The Minister is only advocating for C-6 to go through just to fulfill a campaign promise but no one is talking about strategies on tackling the huge influx of applications when C-6 is enacted. I would assume that processing time will go from 12 to over 24 months once C-6 is enacted. At the moment, I see people completing the process in as little as 6 months. God help us all.

Oct 4, 2016
mevisbleek said:
Well said.

I was also affected by C-24,however, I would rather things remain the way they are. The Minister is only advocating for C-6 to go through just to fulfill a campaign promise but no one is talking about strategies on tackling the huge influx of applications when C-6 is enacted. I would assume that processing time will go from 12 to over 24 months once C-6 is enacted. At the moment, I see people completing the process in as little as 6 months. God help us all.
they made application fee more than double to reduce process time ,i dont think is gona be 24 months any more , and dont leave negative comments,you may affected by c-24 or you may affect soon but i dont care we want bill c-6 to be passed

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
I agree with most people here, at this point in time, 99% of Victims of Bill C6 will be eligible for citizenship in a couple of months. There is no need to change residency requirements any more, make it that way to ensure fairness to everyone who suffer from Bill C24 otherwise the backlog will be huge and the total time to citizenship will be extended a few more years due to long processing time. Those who came to Canada at the wrong time and suffer bill C24, the damage has been done and there is no need to make it more painful to these already unlucky immigrants.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
deerestlovelybear said:
I agree with most people here, at this point in time, 99% of Victims of Bill C6 will be eligible for citizenship in a couple of months. There is no need to change residency requirements any more, make it that way to ensure fairness to everyone who suffer from Bill C24 otherwise the backlog will be huge and the total time to citizenship will be extended a few more years due to long processing time. Those who came to Canada at the wrong time and suffer bill C24, the damage has been done and there is no need to make it more painful to these already unlucky immigrants.
Did you just pull the 99% number out of thin air? and 'most people here'? Why it is so easy for some people just make up things without any basis is beyond my imagination

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
deerestlovelybear said:
Noteworthy, every extra day on 4/6 rule there is more victims on the run. The numbers are increasing every day.

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
spiritsoul said:
Am I right, they're discussing C-6 now?

Who is the Senator started speaking? He is absolutely against the bill (if they're discussing it now!!).