Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thepolestar said:
Guys, Read this....someone has finally decided to do something about Bill C-24

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/06/09/rocco_galati_plans_legal_challenge_to_citizenship_act_changes.html

Those who are active in social media.....use your skills :-X :-X
I am surprised nobody paid attention to such a big news. The top lawyer of the country who earlier challenged the government successfully on appointment of a judge in supreme court has written letter to every senator and governor general that if the bill is passed in present shape he would take it to federal court in five days.

Isn't it a news??? ::)

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
thanks for pointing us to this important story in much the same way the "polestar" points people in the right direction ! :)

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
The story says he is specifically challenging the part where citizens (particularly Canadians by birth) can be deported to their dual citizenship country. It doesn't say he is fighting other parts of the bill.

Sharif11

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Matt the Aussie said:
The story says he is specifically challenging the part where citizens (particularly Canadians by birth) can be deported to their dual citizenship country. It doesn't say he is fighting other parts of the bill.
At least, the action might delay the bill for some time.

O_Ca

Feb 21, 2013
thepolestar said:
Guys, Read this....someone has finally decided to do something about Bill C-24

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/06/09/rocco_galati_plans_legal_challenge_to_citizenship_act_changes.html

Those who are active in social media.....use your skills :-X :-X
Great news. I am ready to support him.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
anon123 said:
So what if I have to work 24/7 for my master or I have to really live in his ranch or I am treated like his dog or I can't go anywhere?

On my side I don't plan to be a free man, if I can't leave the ranch that's ok I am just going to keep serving my master. I was born a slave and I will always be a slave. It's not that they are going to hang me. I feel that people are getting too paranoid and I personally can live without freedom for awhile more.
So asking you to live in Canada for an extra year before becoming a citizen is akin to making you a slave or treating you like a dog? Seems a bit extreme to me

Paraf

Jun 10, 2014
I see that the House of Commons finishes on 20th June for Summer break (till 15 Sept). The Senate finishes on the 27th June.
What are the opinions on the likelyhood of this bill getting finished & implemented before then?

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sharif11 said:
Not necessarily. The bill and the said action are two different things. The bill cannot be challenged in the court of law but an act could be challenged. Unfortunately, the bill has to be passed and in effect to be challenged in the court.

But it seems this might create a few ripples in otherwise still ocean. The big question is how will the senators respond to this situation?

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
So asking you to live in Canada for an extra year before becoming a citizen is akin to making you a slave or treating you like a dog? Seems a bit extreme to me
I dont think living an extra year before citizenship would be an issue for political parties, including Liberals and NDP and human rights groups. The worried part is clarity on time spent outside canada by a Canadian Citizen. If they are bringing the clause "Intend to Live in Canada". What are the actions government is going to take if a Canadian Citizen lives outside Canada. I haven't read the bill in detail and seniors can pitch in here. I think in that case your citizenship can be revoked. If government do not want any action for citizens who live outside Canada, then what is the point of bringing an "Intend to Live in canada" clause in Citizenship application. It is merely an administrative thing.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
well.. the Govt already started look bad over time when witnesses were being muzzled and debate quashed.

Now, with a reputable lawyer coming in who not just challenged but actually won his case on the faulty Nadon appointment (which, of course, was a big slap in the face for the govt), it now makes them look reaaaaaaaally bad ! ...and soon the laughing stock of the developed world..

already sadly the standing in places such as the UN, where Canada earlier commanded a lot of respect, has plummeted over time...

O_Ca

Feb 21, 2013
us2yow said:
well.. the Govt already started look bad over time when witnesses were being muzzled and debate quashed.

Now, with a reputable lawyer coming in who not just challenged but actually won his case on the faulty Nadon appointment (which, of course, was a big slap in the face for the govt), it now makes them look reaaaaaaaally bad ! ...and soon the laughing stock of the developed world..

already sadly the standing in places such as the UN, where Canada earlier commanded a lot of respect, has plummeted over time...
Because of Harper

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
glowingheart said:
I think you are taking this too personal

so what if they extend the years before applying, if they eliminate the pre pr time, or that you have to really live in canada

on my side I don't plan to live elsewhere, if i can't apply next jan it will be 2 more years but it will come

I feel people are getting too paranoid and me personally can live without voting for a while more

its not that they a kicking pr's out of the country they are modifying some rules with the intend to fix the future
like the thousands that leave the country as soon as they become citizens so that way they have a secure retirement
and come to Canada to get medical attention

guys relax
We're "taking it personally"? Go to Hell and rot there!

"Taking it personally" is just a cliche and it's so overused I'm not even going to bother asking you what it means. I will say though that this is very personal to me. It's my life, my years of waiting that won't come back, ever. If that's not personal, I don't know what is.

I have to wait an extra year (or maybe they'll make it two years by the time I get ready to apply, who knows) before I can lay my hands on a new passport, but the ignorant schmucks who can't tell how the federal government works, they get handed a passport booklet like candy. You bet your rootie pattooties this is personal. It's more than that. It's messed up like nothing else.

If you have no issues with the bill and aren't bothered by how it affects you, then you have no reason to be on this forum at all, do you?

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
Sharif11 said:
The bill will not be delayed. Once it becomes law, it can be challenged, but even at that point the parts not under challenge will be able to operate as per usual.

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
This lawyer, Galati challenges only one small part of the bill (birth right of canadian born citizens). This does not affect us in any way. I mean we would not be on this topic, on this forum if we were all natural born Canadians, would we? :p

OTTAWA2014

May 16, 2014
It is not true, you can challenge before as well, If there is anything in the bill which is unconstitutional or against citizenship rights, it can be challenge in the court, and one can get the stay order till the hearing. It will delay the process, and if the lawyer has strong arguments like it is mentioned above, it can be instructed by the courts to make amendments. It does not necessarily mean that courts are making the law. It is also the responsibility of the supreme court to ensure that nothing against the constitution shall become the part of any immigration law. Also remember you are not challenging the law, but you are challenging the bill.