Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
turboracer said:
HI,

I was trying to find something could anyone state the steps of legislative process of a bill being passed in the house of commons like all the steps?
This will help you....

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISinfo/Faq.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1

May2014

Star Member
May 6, 2014
As I said before , no petition will work !!! All ppl lead by sm lawyers , influential ppl need to organize a protest with the right timing , location and legal form ... Media attention locally and internationally is the only way to even poke this process !!!

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Hi ,

I cannot see any meeting scheduled for C-24 for the rest of the week in HoC however , there are atleast 3 meetings scheduled for C-24 in the Senate.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2&DocId=6655159

Does anyone have an idea could Senate start its readings even before the bill is passed by HoC ?

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Tolerance said:
Even after they get their citizenship, they want their parents, brothers, sisters, and friends to be reunited with them, so I doubt they support any draconian measures such as revocation of citizenship etc.
Tolerance, does your statement give us all a clue why you are so against the tightening up of the immigration/citizenship rules?

Perhaps you believe the immigration rules should be set by potential immigrants not the democratically elected government of Canada?

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
paw339 said:
Tolerance, does your statement give us all a clue why you are so against the tightening up of the immigration/citizenship rules?

Perhaps you believe the immigration rules should be set by potential immigrants not the democratically elected government of Canada?
I don't know, DOES it give you all a clue? :)

I am not against tightening of the immigration rules; I said as much in my previous post.

But I AM against the draconian measures it would impose (also said in my post). Treating citizens arbitrarily based on their origin, revoking their citizenship by a politician without the court of law and due process, extending the residency requirements (although I started my Canadian affair in 2007 and still do not have my citizenship) and prolonguing the suffering and separation of families (and they HAVE to separate because Canada won't let them work and prosper here)...

I believe when there are signs of fascism and abuse of power, people should oppose it, and oppose it early on. It might be too late later.

Conservative parties are concerned about the supremacy and dominance of one particular group (as evidenced by policies that accepted white immigrants from Western European countries, and rejected Asian immigrants in the past).

The cons are basing the provisions of the bill on anecdotes, and there is no data to support their claims. On the other hand, the opposition wants to include experts, is asking for data, but the cons will not divulge anything (for example, the Minister refused to divulge the cases where he granted citizenship based on his discretion; why the secrecy?).

These people don't think they are accountable to anyone, and they just want to increase their power.

When they have a bill that actually shows potential for really fixing the problems, then I will support it.

And if you are happy with living here for years, being taxed without representation (Americans started a war over it :)), and being treated like nothing, then suit yourself :). The bill will be law very soon, so knock yourself out :).

And a question back to you: do YOU support the bill? Thanks.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Tolerance said:
And if you are happy with living here for years, being taxed without representation (Americans started a war over it :)), and being treated like nothing, then suit yourself :). The bill will be law very soon, so knock yourself out :).

And a question back to you: do YOU support the bill? Thanks.
Do I support the bill? To give you a Yes or No answer I would say Yes. I do have some concerns about the removal of Citizenship (too much discretion?) , but in principle I agree with the thrust of the argument. There is also an argument to support a 5 year period for citizenship but to retain credit for pre PR time spent in Canada. I do think PR's should be allowed to vote now the time to Citizenship has been extended.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
paw339 said:
Do I support the bill? To give you a Yes or No answer I would say Yes. I do have some concerns about the removal of Citizenship (too much discretion?) , but in principle I agree with the thrust of the argument. There is also an argument to support a 5 year period for citizenship but to retain credit for pre PR time spent in Canada. I do think PR's should be allowed to vote now the time to Citizenship has been extended.
The problem is, the bill will not be passed in principle (the way you support it). It will be passed in its entirety. As it is. The good and the bad (the bad is really scary).

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
informatics said:
Hi ,

I cannot see any meeting scheduled for C-24 for the rest of the week in HoC however , there are atleast 3 meetings scheduled for C-24 in the Senate.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2&DocId=6655159

Does anyone have an idea could Senate start its readings even before the bill is passed by HoC ?
As per process the bill should be completed 3rd reading and adopted by HoC before it goes to Senate for 1st reading.. So, not sure what their plan is. It looks like Senate meetings will study the bill while the bill is still pending for 3rd reading in HoC.

dandash

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OMG I just noticed that the report stage is live now ...

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Parlvu/TimeBandit/PowerBrowserLive_SilverLight.aspx?ContentEntityId=11955&EssenceFormatID=427&date=20140609&lang=en

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dandash said:

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Parlvu/TimeBandit/PowerBrowserLive_SilverLight.aspx?ContentEntityId=11955&EssenceFormatID=427&date=20140609&lang=en
HoC cons. MPs is pushing this bill as much as they can to complete 3rd reading this week..

Sharif11

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dandash said:

You mean they are debating it right now!

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
cant stand Costas.. sneaky puppet of the Minister.... forever toeing the line at any cost...

Reminds me of Shylock from the Merchant of Venice.... ugh !

Sharif11

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rayman_m said:
HoC cons. MPs is pushing this bill as much as they can to complete 3rd reading this week..
I really hope something will happen so the bill passing gets delayed!

dandash

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How did we miss that ??!! I didn't see anything scheduled for tonight ??!

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
dandash said:
How did we miss that ??!! I didn't see anything scheduled for tonight ??!
They have been 'debating' since early this evening. They want to kill those 5 hours. The cons all left, hardly ever rose.

Now voting on motions. They delayed voting on some motions till tomorrow.