+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
For a change and on a slightly different note,

Doesn't 157 seem like a low number ? - granted it has been only a month...but still seems somewhat low. Looks like the "perception shift" in PR applicants is probably already underway, mostly due to the changing rules, which the Express of Interest will only change further. Also, seems like this shift is the general precursor to reduced numbers of PR intake over time.

On June 6th, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) announced the total number of applications received for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). Since the program reopened on May 1st, 157 applications have been received toward the overall cap of 25,000.

http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry/citizenship-and-immigration-canada-announces-number-of-applications-to-federal-skilled-worker-program-06-06-14.html

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, but who told you that Canadians support this bill? Conservatives? Or their staffers on this forum? Don't trust the liars.

There are almost 30k signatures on the petition against the bill, and many of them are Canadians born here. Yes, it may look like a small percentage of the overall population, but people are usually passive towards politics, and not willing to do anything. Therefore, that's already a lot, and the number is growing.

So many Canadians (possibly, majority) supports us VS Conservatives. So, seriously, don't trust a bunch of cheaters.

P.s. In Quebec, before the last elections there was so called 'Charter' proposed by PQ. That was also anti-immigrant and anti-multicultural. And PQ was telling everywhere that majority of Quebecers supports this 'Charter', they were thinking to get a PQ majority government because of that, and a lot of people thought it's a done deal. The result? They were crushed during the elections.

Skakeholder

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anon123 said:
Forget it guys. It's over, the bill will pass and no amount of petitions or complaining or writing on this forum will change anything. Canadians support this bill. They gave their home to people, they adopted them to be their children, then these children went out and abused the benevolence of Canada, went back to their home countries (some war torn zones) and only remembered Canada when they got sick or needed a free ride out. Went and took arms against Canada or against allies, quickly forgetting what Canada had given them.

Now Canadians have had enough of it. They feel betrayed. They feel it's right to betray us (new PRs) by changing the rules of the game while playing, by telling us Canada is not our home no more and we can't be trusted. I used to feel like Canada was my family. Now Canada is telling me I am an adopted child and I shouldn't get too comfortable because it's not my home and I can be kicked out anytime.

We need to adapt guys. We came with big dreams of freedom and equality. We've had bad luck. The dreams likely won't come true for us here. The next government won't dare touch this bill, it's not a priority. Maybe 10-15 years from now, when the numbers of international students and foreign workers drop to what they were back in the 80s, then the government at the time may do an inquiry and propose changes. But not now. Not in our lifetime.

My suggestion is adapt to the new reality. Or look for alternatives. It's never too late. What is done is done, it wasn't our fault, but we'll pay the price. Either live in fear the next time you try to enter Canada your Canadian passport may have become paperweight or plan ahead for such event. Or look for a new home, for a second time, but that's life. It's not always fair.
I fully agree with your point. And I'm already prepared to wait another year to meet the 1460 days residency requirement.

RAY2112

Jul 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dont Loose hope and well. There are always sunny ways. Go Lebirals Go :)
Travel Dream said:
WOW... you summarize our feelings with these great words.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
us2yow said:
For a change and on a slightly different note,

Doesn't 157 seem like a low number ? - granted it has been only a month...but still seems somewhat low. Looks like the "perception shift" in PR applicants is probably already underway, mostly due to the changing rules, which the Express of Interest will only change further. Also, seems like this shift is the general precursor to reduced numbers of PR intake over time.

On June 6th, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) announced the total number of applications received for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). Since the program reopened on May 1st, 157 applications have been received toward the overall cap of 25,000.

http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry/citizenship-and-immigration-canada-announces-number-of-applications-to-federal-skilled-worker-program-06-06-14.html
The link you have posted always displays numbers that are around 4-6 weeks behind. So the 157 applications received only reflects applications from the first few days of May. Also, the 157 isn't the number of applications received - it's actually the number of applications received AND reviewed AND deemed to be complete. The forum members over in the FSW section of the forum are keeping track of how many applications have been submitted by forum members. Based on the data they have collected, we know that CIC has received several thousand applications already and the the most popular occupations will start hitting the 1,000 application cap this month or next.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
taleodor said:
Sorry, but who told you that Canadians support this bill? Conservatives? Or their staffers on this forum? Don't trust the liars.

There are almost 30k signatures on the petition against the bill, and many of them are Canadians born here. Yes, it may look like a small percentage of the overall population, but people are usually passive towards politics, and not willing to do anything. Therefore, that's already a lot, and the number is growing.

So many Canadians (possibly, majority) supports us VS Conservatives. So, seriously, don't trust a bunch of cheaters.

P.s. In Quebec, before the last elections there was so called 'Charter' proposed by PQ. That was also anti-immigrant and anti-multicultural. And PQ was telling everywhere that majority of Quebecers supports this 'Charter', they were thinking to get a PQ majority government because of that, and a lot of people thought it's a done deal. The result? They were crushed during the elections.
I could not agree more.

RAY2112

Jul 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I couldn't agree more.

taleodor said:

Canada224505

Jun 7, 2014
Can anyone say how much time do we have speaking about the worst scenario until 1095-days-requirement is changed? 1 month? 1 week? I'm not really familiar with canadians law procedures. I suppose to apply in the end f the June. Does it make any sense to start to prepare the documents to apply?

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Canada224505 said:
Can anyone say how much time do we have speaking about the worst scenario until 1095-days-requirement is changed? 1 month? 1 week? I'm not really familiar with canadians law procedures. I suppose to apply in the end f the June. Does it make any sense to start to prepare the documents to apply?
You have a good chance, I don't think the new law will apply that soon.

Prepare everything carefully (throw in a few days in addition to the 1095, just in case) and be ready to send when the date comes. If they date-stamp your application before the new law becomes effective, you will be processed under the current rules.

Newbie2014

Feb 10, 2014
Tolerance said:
If they date-stamp your application before the new law becomes effective, you will be processed under the current rules.

Interesting observation. Knowing the CIC, they will "receive" the application in July (when the new law will likely be effective already).

I think any applications submitted between now and the end of June will be "received" in July. For one, when I submitted my application way back when, the CIC's date of receipt is a few weeks after I sent it. And that date of receipt is the effective date of my application as far as the CIC is concerned, not the date I signed it or mailed it. I believe this is the official position (that the date of receipt is what matters)? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify.

Also, the CIC WANTS people to be processed under the new law. For one, it means less work for them. So many, many people who are applying now would be "received" after the new law is in effect.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Newbie2014 said:
Interesting observation. Knowing the CIC, they will "receive" the application in July (when the new law will likely be effective already).

I think any applications submitted between now and the end of June will be "received" in July. For one, when I submitted my application way back when, the CIC's date of receipt is a few weeks after I sent it. And that date of receipt is the effective date of my application as far as the CIC is concerned, not the date I signed it or mailed it. I believe this is the official position (that the date of receipt is what matters)? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify.

Also, the CIC WANTS people to be processed under the new law. For one, it means less work for them. So many, many people who are applying now would be "received" after the new law is in effect.
Don't discourage the guy. Even if they do 'receive' it in July, the law might come into effect later than that.

So it is crucial for this guy to send it in within a week of fulfilling the 1095 days (making sure he does not forget any days he was outside of Canada).

citizenshiper

Jun 4, 2014
omg is it real? any official clauses on how the cut off dates shall be treated?

i can take it if it is the stamp date, which we can control via the courtier service.

but if it is an internal date processed by CIC, that sounds extremely unfair - why should the applicants be responsible for delays at the government?

Newbie2014 said:

Newbie2014

Feb 10, 2014
citizenshiper said:
omg is it real? any official clauses on how the cut off dates shall be treated?

i can take it if it is the stamp date, which we can control via the courtier service.

but if it is an internal date processed by CIC, that sounds extremely unfair - why should the applicants be responsible for delays at the government?

Easy, easy! I don't know. That's why I'm asking the question to forum members.

My understanding is that the date you sign the application is important only insofar as determining whether or not you qualify for citizenship. However, the CIC has always used the date of receipt of the application as the official start of your application. Only once they verify that it is complete do they "accept" it.

If you recall, when they raised the cost to apply for citizenship, even if some people had mailed in their applications prior to implementation of the new fees, their applications were returned to them, and they had to re-submit with the new fee amount. Only after the CIC has evaluated and accepted your application is it considered "received". That is why I think there is room for mischief. And the CIC is always up to mischief.

Again, I am not an expert, and I do not mean to discourage anyone. But no point in sticking our heads in the sand and ignoring facts. I always assume the worst when it comes to the CIC.

Newbie2014

Feb 10, 2014
Actually, I don't even think it would qualify as "CIC mischief" in this case. This is the way the CIC has always operated. And a recent law clarified it as standard operating procedure. I can't remember the details of that law, though....

PS: Here is a link that describes the standard operating procedure:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/adults.asp

As you can see, the time threshold is the date the application was "received". Does this mean the point in time when the letter reaches the CIC? As all who have already applied know, this is not the case. The application is "received" a few weeks afterwards, after the CIC has had a chance to review the application, and determined that it is complete. It takes about three weeks or so, if I recall correctly. Which is why I think that anything received between now and the end of June will be "received" in July.

I may be wrong, though.