+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
stanka said:
Thankfully I became PR in 2012 :) but I've been here since late 2008. The CF recruitment told me they don't take PR's at all. Maybe under very very special circumstances. So you are right. That line in the bill is just to show the media.

The possibility of becoming a Canadian played a huge role in my decision. I could have gone to the US or Australia but picked Canada. I was counting my days when I can apply and now this happens. :( So frustrating.

hehe you almost got it. I was born in USSR, but my family as ethnic Finns moved to Finland after the collapse. :)
Oh, I miss those communist days :).

And I cannot believe some people still don't get it that the PR/citizenship opportunity plays a major role in deciding where to go to study.

Anyway, as I said, hang on. There is a chance residency requirements might only start to apply AFTER September. My date is November, so you are in better shape :).

Have you considered applying to the Canada Border Service? You can do that with your PR. You still get to play with the gun :).

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
28,000 signatures on the petition!

That's 500 new ones daily since June 2. In the next 20 days, we should have another 10,000 :). Or even more, because as more people sign it, it grows exponentially.

stanka

Star Member
Mar 17, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you considered applying to the Canada Border Service? You can do that with your PR. You still get to play with the gun Smiley.
I actually never thought about that. Might give it a try. Thanks for the idea :) I bet though they give priority to citizens like some other governmental agencies.

Anyway, as I said, hang on. There is a chance residency requirements might only start to apply AFTER September. My date is November, so you are in better shape Smiley.
Fingers crossed, man!

Oh, I miss those communist days :).
:D :D :D

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
stanka said:
I actually never thought about that. Might give it a try. Thanks for the idea :) I bet though they give priority to citizens like some other governmental agencies.

Fingers crossed, man!

:D :D :D
I don't think they do. The trick is, you have to promise you will go wherever in Canada they send you. So, they will take PRs but you have to be open to moving around. About 60k to start. If you are bilingual (in the Canadian sense :(), you might have a good chance.

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear torontosm ,
What you are saying here, is totally right!
Believe me or not, during these years I have changed my work two times and whether my boss was kind or not, most Canadians want us to work for them as cheap labour! Yes, they count on us as cheap labour that's why they absoloutely prefer that we remain in our temporary/student visa or permanent resident status. You can't imagine how many interviews I failed as I was / am permanent resident not citizen. Apparently, we have equal rights but technically we don't.
and I want to comment all dear friends' posts here: these argumentations , unfortunately, don't lead us to any thing. If we think the government bill is unconstitutional , we should do something practical such as complaining to Supreme Court. If some people here support government's bill , they should keep in mind the small world!

torontosm said:
So are you saying that the Cons are racist when it comes to citizenship, but not so when it comes to immigration?

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the last resort is to stop the bill then it has to be a lawsuit against this bill at the supreme court or a demonstration infront of the parliament building

Not only that if it has to be stopped why so much writings and words better to do action as" action is better than words"

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
turboracer said:
If the last resort is to stop the bill then it has to be a lawsuit against this bill at the supreme court or a demonstration infront of the parliament building
You cannot STOP the bill by going to the Supreme Court. The court can review a case after the bill comes into force (or the government can ask the court to review the bill for constitutionality before it comes into force - does not seem likely at this point). It takes about 2 years, and that is IF they accept the case after initial review. But the Supreme Court is the highest court in Canada, so cases have to go through the lower courts before they can go to the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court won't change anything for us; if anything happens, it will be years from now, and it will be too late for us on this forum.

So, the only way to do something is to make a lot of noise at the Senate stage, sign the petition, media, whatever. Even then, chances are bad, but better than doing nothing. Most folks on the forum prefer debating ad nauseam though :).

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right tolerance 100% truth and reality u said so do u think it will be possible to do some stuffs at.the committee stage in this forum we all text u knw action is better than words.I guess me and and a lot others understand but how abt if we open up a topic regarding this as u said?

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
turboracer said:
You are right tolerance 100% truth and reality u said so do u think it will be possible to do some stuffs at.the committee stage in this forum we all text u knw action is better than words.I guess me and and a lot others understand but how abt if we open up a topic regarding this as u said?
When I first started writing about this, I said time is crucial and something, if is to be effective at all, has to be done very quickly.

Josh Paterson did a great job for us with his petition, which is growing fast. Some of us might underestimate the petition, but I think it can be very effective. I am sure there are a few million immigrants (and non-immigrants too) who are opposed to the bill, they just don't know about it. Just seeing how the number of people in the petition is going up faster and faster tells me that the information is going back and forth quicker than before (because of the media exposure Paterson got a few days ago when he submitted the petition). Paterson managed to counter the Cons' lies that 'all immigrants support the bill'. Alexander had been able to say this recently because there was nobody who would disagree in the media (other than the lawyers).

So I think at this point it is very important to have all your friends and acquaintances sign the petition and tell everyone about it. Make that number go up, to 100,000 by the end of June if possible! The minute the TV stations start reporting this, then it might get more difficult for the Cons to sneak this in quietly.

I have posted the petition on Facebook, Facebook groups, even offered to translate the backgrounder to other languages.

So media coverage (which now almost does not exist) is very important. To that end then, if tens of thousands of people gathered to protest the bill, that would get us a lot of attention. That Israeli guy (sashali something I believe) who started another petition (pre-PR counts group) has some experience and contacts also.

If anything in the way of a protest happens, it should happen in the next week at best (or by the 20 June, which might be too late).

My impression on the forum was that nothing will happen, immigrants are too scared and they don't believe they can do anything.

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right friend Roger that on spreading words about the petition doing it but about the fact by next week u r ryt but I must with u mate if u can organize something we need a lead a good lead hope if it could be manageablr

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
Forget it guys. It's over, the bill will pass and no amount of petitions or complaining or writing on this forum will change anything. Canadians support this bill. They gave their home to people, they adopted them to be their children, then these children went out and abused the benevolence of Canada, went back to their home countries (some war torn zones) and only remembered Canada when they got sick or needed a free ride out. Went and took arms against Canada or against allies, quickly forgetting what Canada had given them.

Now Canadians have had enough of it. They feel betrayed. They feel it's right to betray us (new PRs) by changing the rules of the game while playing, by telling us Canada is not our home no more and we can't be trusted. I used to feel like Canada was my family. Now Canada is telling me I am an adopted child and I shouldn't get too comfortable because it's not my home and I can be kicked out anytime.

We need to adapt guys. We came with big dreams of freedom and equality. We've had bad luck. The dreams likely won't come true for us here. The next government won't dare touch this bill, it's not a priority. Maybe 10-15 years from now, when the numbers of international students and foreign workers drop to what they were back in the 80s, then the government at the time may do an inquiry and propose changes. But not now. Not in our lifetime.

My suggestion is adapt to the new reality. Or look for alternatives. It's never too late. What is done is done, it wasn't our fault, but we'll pay the price. Either live in fear the next time you try to enter Canada your Canadian passport may have become paperweight or plan ahead for such event. Or look for a new home, for a second time, but that's life. It's not always fair.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
anon123 said:
Forget it guys. It's over, the bill will pass and no amount of petitions or complaining or writing on this forum will change anything. Canadians support this bill. They gave their home to people, they adopted them to be their children, then these children went out and abused the benevolence of Canada, went back to their home countries (some war torn zones) and only remembered Canada when they got sick or needed a free ride out. Went and took arms against Canada or against allies, quickly forgetting what Canada had given them.

Now Canadians have had enough of it. They feel betrayed. They feel it's right to betray us (new PRs) by changing the rules of the game while playing, by telling us Canada is not our home no more and we can't be trusted. I used to feel like Canada was my family. Now Canada is telling me I am an adopted child and I shouldn't get too comfortable because it's not my home and I can be kicked out anytime.

We need to adapt guys. We came with big dreams of freedom and equality. We've had bad luck. The dreams likely won't come true for us here. The next government won't dare touch this bill, it's not a priority. Maybe 10-15 years from now, when the numbers of international students and foreign workers drop to what they were back in the 80s, then the government at the time may do an inquiry and propose changes. But not now. Not in our lifetime.

My suggestion is adapt to the new reality. Or look for alternatives. It's never too late. What is done is done, it wasn't our fault, but we'll pay the price. Either live in fear the next time you try to enter Canada your Canadian passport may have become paperweight or plan ahead for such event. Or look for a new home, for a second time, but that's life. It's not always fair.
It is not over quite yet, hold off with the burial just a little bit :).

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
anon123 said:

WOW... you summarize our feelings with these great words.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dr_ziad80 said:
DO THEY MENTION IF THEY ARE ALSO CHANGING THE PERMENANT RESIDENCY OBLIGATION TOO OR ITS STILL 2/5 YEARS?

THANKS
No changes.