+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
doctorkb said:
I'm not implying that at all. You can speak against it all you want. You were making it sound like you thought it was an unpleasant circumstance -- and I do take issue with anyone coming here to complain.

Uh, yeah, apparently they are. Because you said yourself that it "is more valuable than what I currently hold." I don't know what country you're coming from, but my ancestors fought in wars so we'd have the freedoms we do here. They did you a favour by making this country even exist.
Unless I've borrowed something from your ancestors, I don't owe them a thing!

Your ancestors did me no favors. Whatever they built, they built for themselves.

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
taleodor said:
This is about FORMER foreign workers and students, who are CURRENTLY PRs.
Correct. And we do have a stake in this bill.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
2_of_5 said:
Correct. And we do have a stake in this bill.
I don't see why even current students and foreign workers should be excluded from throwing in their fifty cents. A lot of them based their decision on where to spend their tuition money (3 times as much as domestic students, except in Quebec, where some foreigners can study cheaper than folks from other parts of Canada :)) or where to go and work on the current citizenship rules. Even for those who like to talk 'contributing to the system', that should mean something.

Also, if they can pay the taxes and put up with the Cons like everyone else, who's to tell them their opinions do not count?

Let the people talk. Real con $hit, unless you think like me, you should be gagged. (A couple of hundred years ago, it used to be something about a *certain* Indian being the best Indian :().

And don't you know that Mr. Cohen, who is paying for this forum, lives on those two categories ;D

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No one should be excluded. Simply, tens of thousands of current PRs make this case stronger.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Tolerance said:
I don't see why even current students and foreign workers should be excluded from throwing in their fifty cents. A lot of them based their decision on where to spend their tuition money (3 times as much as domestic students, except in Quebec, where some foreigners can study cheaper than folks from other parts of Canada :)) or where to go and work on the current citizenship rules. Even for those who like to talk 'contributing to the system', that should mean something.

Also, if they can pay the taxes and put up with the Cons like everyone else, who's to tell them their opinions do not count?

Let the people talk. Real con $hit, unless you think like me, you should be gagged. (A couple of hundred years ago, it used to be something about a *certain* Indian being the best Indian :().

And don't you know that Mr. Cohen, who is paying for this forum, lives on those two categories ;D
I don't think anybody should base their decision on where to spend tuition money based on citizenship rules. Those rules will change as fast as the weather, and when that happens they'll have nobody to blame but themselves. I don't know if what you're saying is true but if it is, if anyone chose to study in Canada because of it's citizenship laws, I'd say they made a dumb decision (happens).

It's not a matter of my opinion. This is a fact, non-immigrants don't get a say on the new law; hell not even current PR's do (nobody does really, except the conservatives in Parliament). Hence the gist of my post: if you're not already a PR, you should first be concerned with getting permanent residence, not citizenship.

When I was applying for permanent residence, I was in the Immigration part of this forum, not the Citizenship part.

And not to be overly critical, but I doubt you were around two hundred years ago. What you say will carry a lot of more weight if you stick to things you've seen first hand.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
marcus66502 said:
I don't think anybody should base their decision on where to spend tuition money based on citizenship rules. Those rules will change as fast as the weather, and when that happens they'll have nobody to blame but themselves. I don't know if what you're saying is true but if it is, if anyone chose to study in Canada because of it's citizenship laws, I'd say they made a dumb decision (happens).

It's not a matter of my opinion. This is a fact, non-immigrants don't get a say on the new law; hell not even current PR's do (nobody does really, except the conservatives in Parliament). Hence the gist of my post: if you're not already a PR, you should first be concerned with getting permanent residence, not citizenship.

When I was applying for permanent residence, I was in the Immigration part of this forum, not the Citizenship part.

And not to be overly critical, but I doubt you were around two hundred years ago. What you say will carry a lot of more weight if you stick to things you've seen first hand.
Refugee applicants also don't have a say, and yet some people think they should have a voice (as evidenced by the fact that $300-an-hour lawyers do pro-bono work to help refugees and some other categories). Just because the law excludes certain people, does not mean it is right.

FYI, a lot of people who were trying to choose, say between the US and Canada when applying to be an international student, chose in fact Canada, because the education is of comparable good quality, but it also gives them an opportunity (a slippery one as we can see) to become a citizen. As on-hold once said, don't play naivete, we all know that PR status and citizenship are a bait that, when swallowed by international students, makes them more willing to part with tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Even in Canada, this is huge money. In a third-world country, where an annual income might be $5000-10000, these are unbelievable amounts of money. It is obvious why Canada in that sense might make more sense to these guys. Would you choose foreign education only, or foreign education + PR/citizenship?

Not even a hundred years ago, people were excluded from voting because they did not have property (or they were female; or of color). Again, facts on the ground do not always mean that this is where we want to go as a species, or that this is right.

And this is the first time somebody has told me that when I know a historical fact, and I want to illustrate a point by using it, I should refrain from it because I was not born at that time. We all study history from a very early age because it is very applicable to life today (maybe you should tell the curriculum planners of the world that they were all wrong, because they were not born then :)). "Don't talk about history unless you've seen it first hand!" So when you give people advice - try to make sense :). You would probably tell Harper today not to lecture in Normandy on WWII, he hasn't seen it first hand :). But I see your point - it would be easier to manipulate people into thinking this is a good bill if Canada's past weren't brought up :). So if you could make us not mention the past, that would make somebody's job easier I suppose.

All I am saying - your opinion might discourage some pour soul from speaking up. So please keep such opinions to yourself - everyone is welcome to share their opinions here I believe.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcus66502 said:

So, you think, that a bunch of corrupted liars and cheaters in the Parliament should solely make important decisions, and everyone should be ok with that? I hope, most sane people would disagree with you.

Also, it's not actually your business, who posts in which part of the forum. I also would like several Cons' staffers to be gone from here (and meanwhile I hope their salary is not taken from my taxes, which I doubt unfortunately).

However, the fact is, that everyone (and even you) has a right for an opinion here as well as other basic human rights. And if someone decides to fight for their rights, it's none of your business to tell them they shouldn't.

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Tolerance said:
We don't know when the HoC will have the third reading, it is not in the projected business yet. But you DO know the outcome of that vote, so it does not matter really.

The Senate (the SOCI committee) will be talking about it June 10, 11 and 12.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/sencommitteebusiness/CommitteeMeetingSchedule.aspx?parl=41&ses=2&Language=E&comm_id=47&searchMeetings=1&fromDate=2014-06-10&toDate=2014-06-10
Thanks for the link !

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
marcus66502 said:
Yes, canadian citizenship is more valuable than what I currently hold. The package as a whole is ugly but if I had to choose between that and what I have right now, I'd still go for the Canadian. I make decisions in a rational manner.

Your question implies I somehow have no right to speak up against what I think is wrong with the system, all because I want citizenship. You can take that attitude and shove it somewhere. I have every right to say what I think and I'll say it as I see it.

As for me getting Canadian citizenship, nobody's doing me any favors. I'll be getting citizenship because I'll qualify for it according the laws in effect at the time I'll be applying. I don't owe anybody any silence. I'm not sure if that got through??
We've disagreed before, but in this you are dead on. It is very common to state that citizenship is a 'privilege', when in fact it is a statutory right if you fulfill the requirements, as defined by Canada.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Just to let everyone know the petition is almost at 28,000.

It is growing like crazy.

I think in the last few days, since Josh was in the media when he tried to give the petition to CIC in Vancouver, it really started picking up. Hardly a minute goes by now without somebody signing it.

Go to their web site, share their backgrounder on C-24, put it on facebook (make it public in the settings), twitter, wherever you can. Don't be shy, let everone know :).

http://bccla.org/2014/05/challenging-misinformation-canadian-citizenship-law-explained/#share

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
doctorkb said:
I'm not implying that at all. You can speak against it all you want. You were making it sound like you thought it was an unpleasant circumstance -- and I do take issue with anyone coming here to complain.

Uh, yeah, apparently they are. Because you said yourself that it "is more valuable than what I currently hold." I don't know what country you're coming from, but my ancestors fought in wars so we'd have the freedoms we do here. They did you a favour by making this country even exist.
So every naturalized immigrant has to thank you for choosing such awesome ancestors?

stanka

Star Member
Mar 17, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
(3 times as much as domestic students, except in Quebec, where some foreigners can study cheaper than folks from other parts of Canada Smiley)
I think only french pay Quebec tuition. I used to pay around 8000$ for a semester which I wouldn't call cheap.

Now I honestly really regret coming here. I've been here for almost 6 years and I couldn't wait to apply for citizenship. I want to join CF but you can't join as PR! Now it seems like I have to forget about that idea because I will have to wait another 2 years just to apply and then probably wait for another 2 years. Without that stupid bill I would be eligible to apply for citizenship in September. I just can't wait for another 4 years.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
3rd reading begin debates on monday. but luckily i am ready to file on Wednesday so i am in the driver seat.
pretty sure the bill will be passed 3rd reading and send to senate for further consideration. but i do think the senate cant finish everything in less than 2 weeks. so its safe to say the bill will become law later this year

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
stanka said:
I think only french pay Quebec tuition. I used to pay around 8000$ for a semester which I wouldn't call cheap.

Now I honestly really regret coming here. I've been here for almost 6 years and I couldn't wait to apply for citizenship. I want to join CF but you can't join as PR! Now it seems like I have to forget about that idea because I will have to wait another 2 years just to apply and then probably wait for another 2 years. Without that stupid bill I would be eligible to apply for citizenship in September. I just can't wait for another 4 years.
At Ontario universities the tuition for domestic students is typically about $6000 annually. For community colleges, about $3500. Some programs are much more expensive though. I know a lot of Ontarians go to Quebec because apparently it is still cheaper for them, I am not sure which programs. 8000 per semester is indeed not a joke.

The new bill gives PRs a chance to count their days in the CF, even when abroad. Except, of course, there are like 10 PRs in the CF :). Just a show for the media.

Did the possibility of getting Canadian citizenship play a role in coming here, as opposed to studying in the US? I suppose you give some people here a real example of how students, who have been here for 6 years, cannot even apply for citizenship yet. Those are real people, real lives.

But there is a chance that the residency requirements might start to apply after September. So don't go anywhere yet :).

stanka

Star Member
Mar 17, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
At Ontario universities the tuition for domestic students is typically about $6000 annually. For community colleges, about $3500. Some programs are much more expensive though. I know a lot of Ontarians go to Quebec because apparently it is still cheaper for them, I am not sure which programs. 8000 per semester is indeed not a joke.

The new bill gives PRs a chance to count their days in the CF, even when abroad. Except, of course, there are like 10 PRs in the CF :). Just a show for the media.

Did the possibility of getting Canadian citizenship play a role in coming here, as opposed to studying in the US? I suppose you give some people here a real example how students, who have been here for 6 years, are not even PRs yet.
Thankfully I became PR in 2012 :) but I've been here since late 2008. The CF recruitment told me they don't take PR's at all. Maybe under very very special circumstances. So you are right. That line in the bill is just to show the media.

The possibility of becoming a Canadian played a huge role in my decision. I could have gone to the US or Australia but picked Canada. I was counting my days when I can apply and now this happens. :( So frustrating.

Stanka... is that ex-Yugoslavia?
hehe you almost got it. I was born in USSR, but my family as ethnic Finns moved to Finland after the collapse. :)