App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MWM said:
Peter Van Loan Leader of the Government in the House of Commons :

Mr. Speaker, I rise not in relation to questions and comments but rather to provide the following notice to the House.

I must advise that an agreement has not been reached under the provisions of Standing Orders 78(1) and 78(2) concerning the proceedings at report stage and third reading of Bill C-24, an act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other acts.

Under the provisions of Standing Order 78(3), I give notice that a minister of the crown will propose at the next sitting of the House a motion to allot a specific number of days or hours for the consideration and disposal of proceedings at those stages.

Q1: What do this mean ?
Q2: What does it mean minister of crown will propose at the next sitting ?
Essentially, it means that the Bill is going to be pushed through the report and third reading stages as a matter of urgency. That's if the government gets it's way.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If Govt wishes the new law enforcement before June 20th, they could do so and in that case next week we might see everything is happening overnights from HoC 3 rd reading, all senate readings to the royal ascent. Who knows CIC might have done their internal home work from staff training to the new website looks, just waiting for Mr. Harper's instruction.. Hope I am wrong..

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Apart from the 10 , 11 and 12th June meetings of Senate ,are there any meetings scheduled next week , for HoC regarding C-24 ?

Thank you for your time.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
informatics said:
Apart from the 10 , 11 and 12th June meetings of Senate ,are there any meetings scheduled next week , for HoC regarding C-24 ?

Thank you for your time.
This Monday: (http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?pub=projected&language=E)

12:00 noon
GOVERNMENT ORDERS

Government Bills (Commons)

C-24 — The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration — Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act — Report stage (resuming debate on the motions in Group No. 1)

Length of speeches, pursuant to Standing Orders 43 and 76.1(7):

All Members — 10 minutes maximum and speeches are subject to a 5-minute question and comment period.

Committee Report — presented on Wednesday, June 4, 2014, Sessional Paper No. 8510-412-105.

Report stage motions — see "Report Stage of Bills" in today's Notice Paper.

Report stage concurrence motion — question to be put immediately after the report stage motions are disposed of, pursuant to Standing Order 76.1(9).

Time allocation motion — notice given Friday, June 6, 2014, pursuant to Standing Order 78(3).

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Next week will wrap-up the bill in the HoC (third reading) and the referral of the bill to HoS.
I do not think the bill will pass HoS in the week of June 16 as it will be referred to a committee. Most likely, the bill will pass HoS in the week of June 23 and then will go to the royal assent.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
The Bill is still only in pre-study stage in Senate and has not even begun work on that.

Hearings are set for this week Tue-Thu and unclear if they work Fri. Then they have to do a report, present it. Then, First Reading, And Second Reading - my guess - will maybe (?) have more discussions and meetings and referral to the Senate Standing Committee for another report etc. Not sure if more witnesses will participate at Second reading.

Given recent buzz etc and the fact that the Senate is not the House of Commons it will get a fresh set of eyes..and for sure...those witnesses and/or organizations, some of whom were insulted or not allowed to speak during the C-24 study in HoC, will get to speak and maybe even express how pissed off they were at being treated the way they were treated. Besides, discussing the bill, of course..LOL :)

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey folks seems the bill has its way towards the end:

Status of the bill:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=6401990&View=0

This Monday: (http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?pub=projected&language=E)

12:00 noon
GOVERNMENT ORDERS

Government Bills (Commons)

C-24 — The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration — Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act — Report stage (resuming debate on the motions in Group No. 1)

Length of speeches, pursuant to Standing Orders 43 and 76.1(7):

All Members — 10 minutes maximum and speeches are subject to a 5-minute question and comment period.

Committee Report — presented on Wednesday, June 4, 2014, Sessional Paper No. 8510-412-105.

Report stage motions — see "Report Stage of Bills" in today's Notice Paper.

Report stage concurrence motion — question to be put immediately after the report stage motions are disposed of, pursuant to Standing Order 76.1(9).

Time allocation motion — notice given Friday, June 6, 2014, pursuant to Standing Order 78(3).

My say is this :

There is this petition :

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/hon-chris-alexander-pc-mp-canadian-government-stop-bill-c-24-don-t-turn-millions-of-us-into-second-class-canadian-citizens

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/withdraw-bill-c-24-honour-the-charter-or-rights-freedoms

Signing on this petition and submitting to the ministry is like we are successfully doing our signing from our end but.. from their end if they do not accept it and passes it

for us applicants who have stayed qualifying years and are on the margin on applying for 2 months or few weeks we might miss the chance for the application

this week is the last chance if the people of this forum wants to do something out of it

a rally , demonstration, going in front of the media what so ever this is the last chance last opportunity some guy said doing an appeal the message was this :

" if some body file a petition in the crown court or supreme court and get the stay order, till the judge hear the petition and make the decision. "

So for the folks who really care about their application and the nearby days to be qualified if seriously you wanna slow it down i believe filing in the crown court would be a good idea

but still if somehow if it was possible to gather the attention of media something could have been done anyways if seriously folks you wanna slow it down... wanna make a get together a meeting Huh

Lets do it ...

really folks this bill c - 24 reading post has been read 96666 times

96000 people surely if we thousands really could have formed up something would have done a little blockage I guess

Hope if anything could have been done :(

Thanks

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi guys, i look at some immigration forum and saw some ppl thinking the bill will pass all legislative process before parliament members take their summer break. which means it the bill will go through everything in 2 weeks and go into full effect right after june 20.
any thoughts?????

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
u4g5 said:
hi guys, i look at some immigration forum and saw some ppl thinking the bill will pass all legislative process before parliament members take their summer break. which means it the bill will go through everything in 2 weeks and go into full effect right after june 20.
any thoughts?????
@ u4g5

totally depends upon the government but the flow of passing so far the readings seems to give us an assumption might be in effect pretty soon

Sharif11

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So it seems there is no chance for people who are about to submit their application early July under the current law.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Sharif11 said:
So it seems there is no chance for people who are about to submit their application early July under the current law.
Everybody is guessing, so nobody knows if there is any chance, no chance, or whatever. What you are doing is fortune-telling now.

Just wait and see.

Sharif11

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
Everybody is guessing, so nobody knows if there is any chance, no chance, or whatever. What you are doing is fortune-telling now.

Just wait and see.
I hope so!

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Lysane, Friday, in the HoC: (http://openparliament.ca/debates/2014/6/6/lysane-blanchette-lamothe-1/)

Mr. Speaker, I am rising today to speak to Bill C-24 at report stage. This bill was introduced at first reading on February 6 and was debated for the first hour on February 27.

According to the minister, the bill is very important, but it sort of got forgotten after February 27. We read about it in newspapers, but it was not debated again until May 29. The government did not put Bill C-24 back on the House's agenda for many months, and we have no idea why.

Another irregularity is the fact that the committee began studying the bill before the end of second reading. This is a citizenship reform bill that has been needed for nearly 30 years. This 50-page bill, which was touted and heralded, did not even go through normal House procedures. We debated it for one hour, then it was shelved and then, all of a sudden, we were forced to study it at committee before second reading had even finished.

For those who are not familiar with parliamentary process, this means that experts and civil society are unable to react to or contribute to the bill by appearing before committee. Many people have asked me what is happening with Bill C-24 and how they can contribute by sharing their expertise in committee. I had to tell them that it was too late because the usual procedures were not followed. Experts and civil society did not hear much about the bill because committee rushed to study it and because it was not debated in the House as it should have been. Moreover, the committee stage was too short. The NDP asked to hear from more witnesses, but that idea was rejected.

After all that, it came back to the House for debate, and here we are less than a week later at report stage. The committee rushed its clause by clause study of Bill C-24. It did not do a thorough study following the usual procedures, and as a result, we have before us a bill that was not amended at all by the committee.

Regarding students:

Another aspect of clause 3 that is really problematic is the time of residence. There has been a lot of backlash from foreign students over the fact that their time of residence in Canada will, unfortunately, no longer count toward their application for citizenship and permanent residence.
When they arrived, they were told that they would contribute to society as students, workers and taxpayers and that the time they spent in the country as foreign students could count toward their application for citizenship.

Today, this bill changes the rules right under their noses and throws a wrench into their life plans in a number of ways. They will have to wait one or two more years before they can apply for citizenship. That is not fair, and I want to point out the work of this group in particular, whose time in the country before they become permanent residents counts. They are smart, engaged, involved and well aware of the value of Canadian citizenship. This provision of the bill is basically a slap in the face to foreign students.