+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

dibooooostar

Apr 18, 2012
cdhbamboo said:
HI, does anyone know whether we can send police certificate or other document to Buffalo visa office before we receive AOR?

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Hi, I have just received my police certificate too, can I send it to buffalo visa office using the file number I got from 1st PER e_mail and before the 2nd AOR?

I hope you got an experience now.

Thanks,
[/size][/size]

cdhbamboo

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012

Just mail it with your file number to Buffalo. and please check the address online, make sure your mail to the po box in canada, instead of usa address.

famou12

Feb 7, 2012
Check this out:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-04-17.asp

Specially this section:
"Today, Minister Kenney announced two additional changes that will help transform Canada’s immigration system. One proposed change would help CIC ensure FSW applicants meet current labour market needs. It would allow new rules set out in Ministerial Instructions to apply to people who have already submitted an application. For example, instructions could place a priority on a specific occupation, such as doctors, and have existing applications from doctors processed first, regardless of where they are in the queue."

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
famou12 said:
Check this out:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-04-17.asp

Specially this section:
"Today, Minister Kenney announced two additional changes that will help transform Canada's immigration system. One proposed change would help CIC ensure FSW applicants meet current labour market needs. It would allow new rules set out in Ministerial Instructions to apply to people who have already submitted an application. For example, instructions could place a priority on a specific occupation, such as doctors, and have existing applications from doctors processed first, regardless of where they are in the queue."
The thing is, Phd students are not exactly in need in the labour market this days..

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
famou12 said:
"Today, Minister Kenney announced two additional changes that will help transform Canada's immigration system. One proposed change would help CIC ensure FSW applicants meet current labour market needs. It would allow new rules set out in Ministerial Instructions to apply to people who have already submitted an application. For example, instructions could place a priority on a specific occupation, such as doctors, and have existing applications from doctors processed first, regardless of where they are in the queue."
Hopefully that applies to PhD stream of the FSW too :)

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
TyrusX said:
The thing is, Phd students are not exactly in need in the labour market this days..
Well Phd students who are going to be the workforce behind the "burgeoning" R&D sector would be a better argument.

snow_walker

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
TyrusX said:
I don't know about the other provinces, but PhD holders are doing very good in Alberta. Specially those with engineering background. I have seen hundreds of them defending their thesis with a job offer on hand. And I believe, these people are crucial for Canadian economy. And actually the PhD stream is introduced for this reason in the first place. IMO, masters students should also get opportunity to get PR like us before graduation. These people are already set in Canada with good qualification and I don't see a reason they won't succeed.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
snow_walker said:
I don't know about the other provinces, but PhD holders are doing very good in Alberta. Specially those with engineering background. I have seen hundreds of them defending their thesis with a job offer on hand. And I believe, these people are crucial for Canadian economy. And actually the PhD stream is introduced for this reason in the first place. IMO, masters students should also get opportunity to get PR like us before graduation. These people are already set in Canada with good qualification and I don't see a reason they won't succeed.
Yes, there are jobs, for sure. But compared to trades, the amount of jobs out there is minimal. I've been to a few job interviews, just to feel the market and make contacts, and they get goosebumps when you tell them that you are doing a PhD. I'm in Alberta too. And sure, PhD people can succeed anywhere. But we have to stop thinking of ourselves as a special stream, there is no evidence for that so far. I would be very glad to be very very wrong and get AOR and medical and passport request next week, but right now I have the impression that it will take as long as other streams. Seriously, I really want to be wrong, but lets be honest, its been 5 months and a half since the introduction of this stream, its not going as fast as we want.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
TyrusX said:
I would be very glad to be very very wrong and get AOR and medical and passport request next week, but right now I have the impression that it will take as long as other streams. Seriously, I really want to be wrong, but lets be honest, its been 5 months and a half since the introduction of this stream, its not going as fast as we want.
The thing is, I have an impression that, if anything, our stream will be negatively affected by the new regulations :( They may even take out the PhD stream completely next year. I really hope that it won't be the case, but after what they've done to the previous FSW3 category, anything is possible. And the fact that Buffalo takes forever really doesn't help in easing the anxiety. Manila and New Delhi have issued AOR for applicants with late-March and early-April PER's :eek: Oh my... Hopefully somebody from our stream will get their PER next week (or sooner rather than later)...

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
asbereth said:
The thing is, I have an impression that, if anything, our stream will be negatively affected by the new regulations :( They may even take out the PhD stream completely next year. I really hope that it won't be the case, but after what they've done to the previous FSW3 category, anything is possible. And the fact that Buffalo takes forever really doesn't help in easing the anxiety. Manila and New Delhi have issued AOR for applicants with late-March and early-April PER's :eek: Oh my... Hopefully somebody from our stream will get their PER next week (or sooner rather than later)...
That's exactly my feeling.
And about buffalo, this sad thread speaks for itself:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/post-june-buffalo-fsw-1-applicants-t96294.15.html

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
snow_walker said:
I agree with snow walker. I feel strongly that PhD holders are part of the equation to the growing the economy and not just other FSW in the NOC. Infact Masters holders should also be given PR. I feel CIC are being too cautious and not aggressive enough in making these changes. Obviously based on the new budget and all that, they are slowly starting to change. And hopefully for the better. I know in singapore, PR forms are handed out to masters and Phd students who are just in their 2nd year.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Ontario Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) – Open work permits for Master’s or PhD graduates/nominees

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob406.asp

amarnawaz

Feb 29, 2012
Hi,

I got PER on the 8th of march. Recenlty, my spouse shifted to canada. Then, I sent arrival/permit docs to buffalo visa office. Then replied, I should send it to the CIO office. Do anyone know, i should send it to CIO, because in PER email, CIO asked for future correponedence should with visa office.
Need reply.
thanks

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Hi All,

Could someone please tell me if we need to send copies of the RA/TA contracts at all, or will a letter from the department/supervisor be sufficient?

Also, is there any problem with using a P.O. Box address as my mailing address? I might be travelling and I will have someone check it out for me in case I receive any replies from CIC. I'm only worried about this because I heard that I can't use a P.O. Box address when renewing the study permit.

Thanks in advance for you help.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
informer2000 said:
Could someone please tell me if we need to send copies of the RA/TA contracts at all, or will a letter from the department/supervisor be sufficient?

Also, is there any problem with using a P.O. Box address as my mailing address? I might be travelling and I will have someone check it out for me in case I receive any replies from CIC. I'm only worried about this because I heard that I can't use a P.O. Box address when renewing the study permit.
Hi informer2000, I did not send RA/TA contracts with my applications, but to be safe, I think you should. However, make sure that, whatever it is you're sending will NOT contain any contradictory information.

Regarding address, you will not receive anything by mail until medical (even medical I heard will be sent through email), so if your travel is within the near future, you need not worry about missing anything (since Buffalo is really slow anyway, and the CIO won't send you anything by mail).

amarnawaz said:
I got PER on the 8th of march. Recenlty, my spouse shifted to canada. Then, I sent arrival/permit docs to buffalo visa office. Then replied, I should send it to the CIO office. Do anyone know, i should send it to CIO, because in PER email, CIO asked for future correponedence should with visa office.Need reply.
Hi amarnawaz, did you send it to Buffalo, then they replied stating that you have to send it to the CIO? Why don't you try calling the call center and tell them about your situation? Maybe they will be able to assist you more.

I was actually wondering about similar things since I need to have some things corrected, and the call center told me to just send it directly to Buffalo after PER. I will probably re-send it after I receive my AOR, just to be safe.