09-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
Med's Request
07-05-2014
Med's Done....
24-06-2014
Could u also add me in?

I am also a PhD student applying under FSW.

My application received on Feb.17, 2012.

PER issued Mar.21,2012.

Applicants:2

Nationality: China

Work Exp: TA/RA+other included

moonbow2010

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
Med's Request
07-05-2014
Med's Done....
24-06-2014
Regarding OHIP, they rejected my application and suggested me appealing for it, because we don't have the official letter from CIO.

Plus, the CIC agent said that they never issue any letter for PER confirmation. He said that OHIP application had nothing to do with CIC. :eek:

Does anyone think of other ways of solving this issue?

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
PER receieved on 05-APR-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application (band 8.5)
File Transfer...
Transferred from Buffelo to Ottawa
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
websphereguy said:
My app resubmission just arrive at Sydney CIO office today.
Wish you best of luck, websphereguy! Keep us updated...

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
GeoCanadian said:
Wish you best of luck, websphereguy! Keep us updated...
Thanks. Will do...

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Hi all.. New member here.

I've been following this thread and you guys are doing an awesome job.

I have a couple of questions regarding the work experience. I have completed over 3 years in my PhD program and have been alternating between RA and TA during that period. Unfortunately, there is a gap of one semester during which I got a fellowship. So I have 4 semesters of TA/RA, 1 semester with a fellowship, and 5 semesters of TA/RA. I'm wondering if that would give me two years of experience? Especially since it seems it is unclear if I'll get the 5 points for adaptability based on what I've read in this thread.

Also, do I need to provide the original contracts, a copy, or just a letter from my supervisor/department. RA contracts state that I'm expected to work 70 hours biweekly (so that's 35 hours a week). But I'm worried about the payment rate. When I calculated it, it was about $12/hour! Should I try to get a letter from my supervisor which states a less number of hours to increase the rate?

Thanks..

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
Finally - my eCAS status is now updated and shows that my application for permanenet residence is "In Process". I wonder if this means that the file has been transferred to Buffelo VO already.

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
GeoCanadian said:
Finally - my eCAS status is now updated and shows that my application for permanenet residence is "In Process". I wonder if this means that the file has been transferred to Buffelo VO already.
That's good news. Congrats!

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
GeoCanadian said:
The CIO got so fast these days that your online status changed after you got your PER :D It used to be that the online status changed about a week after your credit card got charged, and it would not change until the visa office has received your application (I think, a couple of weeks after the 2nd AOR). I think it just implied that your application has been received by the CIO. You can click on 'In Process' to get more details, though most like it's just going to say that your PR application has been received at such and such date.

informer2000 said:
I have a couple of questions regarding the work experience. I have completed over 3 years in my PhD program and have been alternating between RA and TA during that period. Unfortunately, there is a gap of one semester during which I got a fellowship. So I have 4 semesters of TA/RA, 1 semester with a fellowship, and 5 semesters of TA/RA. I'm wondering if that would give me two years of experience? Especially since it seems it is unclear if I'll get the 5 points for adaptability based on what I've read in this thread.

Also, do I need to provide the original contracts, a copy, or just a letter from my supervisor/department. RA contracts state that I'm expected to work 70 hours biweekly (so that's 35 hours a week). But I'm worried about the payment rate. When I calculated it, it was about $12/hour! Should I try to get a letter from my supervisor which states a less number of hours to increase the rate?
Hi informer2000, fellowship counts as income. As we have discussed, there was never a mention that the income needs to be taxable, so fellowship (or graduate research scholarship or something similar) would count as an income. Several posters here have gotten PER's with only TA/RA experience, and a lot of them actually receive the RA portion through scholarship.

The minimum wage is, I believe, $10.25/hour, so $12/hour would not be a problem. However, I'm not sure though if you can actually claim full-time of work experience at the same time you're claiming to be studying full-time as well. The norm here is to claim about 20 - 25 hours of work per week (since the requirement for full-time PhD study would require the other 15 hours a week). Do you have other work experience within the last 10 years? What about your Master's degree? Any chance that you can claim the TA/RA for your Masters as work experience as well?

And apparently, regarding the 5 adaptability points, a user (I believe it was beishidashuo) had his NER overturned to PER after sending a complain to the CIO through fax, so apparently, there still has been some confusion whether to award these 5 points or not among, even the officers, though indeed that the default practice has been so far for them not to award these points to applicants that have not completed a degree in Canada (though it was clear from the Instruction Guide 7000 that one need not have completed the degree to be awarded these points).

I just hope that the visa office would have more common sense, and would not reject applicants simply because they have different interpretation than the CIO regarding these 5 adaptability points.

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi AST,

Do you include other information in your letter other than the new employment letter? I also printed the letter I received containing my Client No. to help them find my files. But still no news now. Thanks.

AST said:
My documents were delivered there at 9:29 AM (time at Nova Scotia) and I got the PER mail at 9:55 AM (time at NS). I was also surprised. I dont know whether they checked my new documents or they issued PR with the exsting documents.

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
asbereth said:
The CIO got so fast these days that your online status changed after you got your PER :D It used to be that the online status changed about a week after your credit card got charged, and it would not change until the visa office has received your application (I think, a couple of weeks after the 2nd AOR). I think it just implied that your application has been received by the CIO. You can click on 'In Process' to get more details, though most like it's just going to say that your PR application has been received at such and such date.
That is exactly what it says - "we received your application for permanent residence on March 28, 2012." I wonder why they don't say that the final eligibility review was completed. Anyhow... Look forward to hearing about someone getting AOR from Buffelo!

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
GeoCanadian said:
That is exactly what it says - "we received your application for permanent residence on March 28, 2012." I wonder why they don't say that the final eligibility review was completed. Anyhow... Look forward to hearing about someone getting AOR from Buffelo!
Btw GeoCanadian, how do you check your eCas status? Is it through this link? https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/?app=ecas&lang=en
And then providing your UCI# ?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Spreadsheet is updated

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Thank you asbereth for your reply and for the clarification.

asbereth said:
Hi informer2000, fellowship counts as income. As we have discussed, there was never a mention that the income needs to be taxable, so fellowship (or graduate research scholarship or something similar) would count as an income. Several posters here have gotten PER's with only TA/RA experience, and a lot of them actually receive the RA portion through scholarship.
I can understand that a fellowship can be considered income. However, my fear is that it is not work. There is no contract and no hours worked, unless we are talking about different things. RA is indeed through scholarship, but one has some duties and responsibilities.

asbereth said:
The minimum wage is, I believe, $10.25/hour, so $12/hour would not be a problem. However, I'm not sure though if you can actually claim full-time of work experience at the same time you're claiming to be studying full-time as well. The norm here is to claim about 20 - 25 hours of work per week (since the requirement for full-time PhD study would require the other 15 hours a week). Do you have other work experience within the last 10 years? What about your Master's degree? Any chance that you can claim the TA/RA for your Masters as work experience as well?
I believe full time to CIC is 37.5 hours/week. So, if I'm not mistaken, 35 hours should be part-time. If the there is no issue with counting the fellowship, that should be equivalent to at least two years of experience. The problem with the Masters experience is it was done back home and universities there only consider research assistants as temporary employees without any contract or anything to prove our work. I barely managed to get a signed a stamped document stating that I assisted in teaching this and that course during the Masters period. But nothing about the salary or the number of hours is mentioned.

I guess the best option is to try my luck and apply then. Otherwise, I'd have to wait until the end of the summer to gain one more semester of experience. And by then the capacity will definitely be reached at this rate!