07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
ubc2010 said:
Sub: Open Work permit,

Dear all,

I want to apply for post graduate work permit but when I filled the questioner on MYCIC it showed that am eligible for open work permit.

I think this because I answered the following question: Have you applied for permanent resident and approved in principle? by "yes" , where I considered receiving the PER as an indication of approved in principle.
Am I correct?

Thanks
Yes, that's why. I soon have to apply for PGWP. I prefer PGWP over the open work permit. PGWP is specifically designed for us. Though I am not sure about the details.

oliveoyl

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Hi guys,

An update from my side. I received the RPRF request today. Hoping I will receive the medical request soon.
I am a Nov 2012 applicant (my record is on the excel spreadsheet). Can someone update it?

According to my GCMS notes in Aug'13, the first eligibility assessment only gave me 51 points because of the lack of the now infamous "assist" wording. I updated my RA/TA work experience letter on reading about it in this forum. The updated letter along with my degree completion letter was received and attached to the file. My latest GCMS notes in Nov'13 showed that the points were reassessed and now it is 72.

Reiterating my gratitude to all members who have shared their experiences, this forum is the best available for this stream of applicants. The invaluable experience shared by the members has indeed been incredible and a lotttt of help!
I am sorry I haven't been active since the past several months. Lot of life changes happening : finished the PhD, went home for a long break and now started a postdoc :).

I will be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers!

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
hamed_hamed_hamed said:
Yes, that's why. I soon have to apply for PGWP. I prefer PGWP over the open work permit. PGWP is specifically designed for us. Though I am not sure about the details.
Thanks.
Do you know the difference between the two, i.e. does the OWP have no expiry date? Or it means that you can work for any employer.
Best,

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
oliveoyl said:
Hi guys,

An update from my side. I received the RPRF request today. Hoping I will receive the medical request soon.
I am a Nov 2012 applicant (my record is on the excel spreadsheet). Can someone update it?

According to my GCMS notes in Aug'13, the first eligibility assessment only gave me 51 points because of the lack of the now infamous "assist" wording. I updated my RA/TA work experience letter on reading about it in this forum. The updated letter along with my degree completion letter was received and attached to the file. My latest GCMS notes in Nov'13 showed that the points were reassessed and now it is 72.

Reiterating my gratitude to all members who have shared their experiences, this forum is the best available for this stream of applicants. The invaluable experience shared by the members has indeed been incredible and a lotttt of help!
I am sorry I haven't been active since the past several months. Lot of life changes happening : finished the PhD, went home for a long break and now started a postdoc :).

Cheers!
Did you send it by email or mail?
Thanks

oliveoyl

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
ubc2010 said:
Did you send it by email or mail?
Thanks
I emailed them a copy of my degree completion letter and updated work exp.
One week later I sent another email to check whether the documents were received.
I got an email back saying the letter was attached to my file.

oliveoyl

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
ubc2010 said:
Thanks.
Do you know the difference between the two, i.e. does the OWP have no expiry date? Or it means that you can work for any employer.
Best,
From what I know, an open work permit is typically given to a spouse/dependent of a person who is studying or working in Canada.
While studying in Canada, the work permit one can apply for to get off campus jobs or during internship periods is called Off Campus Work Permit.
It has a cap of working 20 hours/week during the semester and full time during holidays.
After graduating one can apply for Post Graduate Work Permit. This is technically a "open" work permit because you do not need to have a employer to get this work permit. This is valid for a maximum of 3 years.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
oliveoyl said:
From what I know, an open work permit is typically given to a spouse/dependent of a person who is studying or working in Canada.
While studying in Canada, the work permit one can apply for to get off campus jobs or during internship periods is called Off Campus Work Permit.
It has a cap of working 20 hours/week during the semester and full time during holidays.
After graduating one can apply for Post Graduate Work Permit. This is technically a "open" work permit because you do not need to have a employer to get this work permit. This is valid for a maximum of 3 years.
Well said.

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
oliveoyl said:
Thank you, perfect.

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
oliveoyl said:
I emailed them a copy of my degree completion letter and updated work exp.
One week later I sent another email to check whether the documents were received.
I got an email back saying the letter was attached to my file.
Thank you.
Can we update the English test result?

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Guys, for CEC, do they count the work experience hours after submitting thesis or graduation (convocation)? I am thinking to prepare myself to apply through CEC.

Also, is it now 1600 hours (30 hours per week)? If one has 40 hours per week, do the only calculate 30 hours of it or 37.5 hours?

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Anna2013 said:
Guys, for CEC, do they count the work experience hours after submitting thesis or graduation (convocation)? I am thinking to prepare myself to apply through CEC.

Also, is it now 1600 hours (30 hours per week)? If one has 40 hours per week, do the only calculate 30 hours of it or 37.5 hours?
For CEC, they will not count any work experience you had during your studies as far as I understand. If you have 40 hours per week, they will count it unless you are claiming being a TA/RA while you were studying. You can't be working that number of hours and be a full-time student at the same time.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
informer2000 said:
For CEC, they will not count any work experience you had during your studies as far as I understand. If you have 40 hours per week, they will count it unless you are claiming being a TA/RA while you were studying. You can't be working that number of hours and be a full-time student at the same time.
Yes, I know. My question is should I count after "submitting thesis" or "obtaining degree"? I have worked a few months after graduation 40 hours/week. Do they count 40 hours, or reduce it to 30 or 37.5 hours?

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Anna2013 said:
Yes, I know. My question is should I count after "submitting thesis" or "obtaining degree"?

After one obtained degree and with PGWP (in some case they have considered experience only after convocation).
Anna2013 said:
I have worked a few months after graduation 40 hours/week. Do they count 40 hours, or reduce it to 30 or 37.5 hours?

They will consider only 30 hrs/week even if you are working more than that.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
oliveoyl said:
Hi guys,

Cheers!
Congrats! You may receive your medical request tomorrow. Good to hear that they started processing the second capacity of PhD stream!