+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit extension for protected person

theclaimer

Jul 29, 2022
Can anyone give me the link and steps to extend my work permit as a Protected Person, please.

When we apply for the work permit extension for both refugee claimants and accepted refugees:
1. We go to the GCKey Portal
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html

2. Go to the bottom page > Start an application > and click on "Apply to come to Canada"
3. In my case, no personal reference code, click on "visitor, study or work permit"
4. For questions: What would you like to do in Canada > Select Work > How long would you like to stay in Canada > Select Temporary less than 6 months, then answer all other questions
5. Not a US PR (most of us are not)
6. Find out if you are eligible to apply > Click on "Refugee Claimant" then Next button
7. Then select the situation that applies to you -- e.g. refugee claim in progress or accepted refugee or other situations
8. Then answer all other questions page by page
9. When asked if you have medical exam performed by IRCC authorized doctors in the past 12 months, click No, if you haven't had it (in my case I only did the medical exam paid by IRCC when making the refugee claim and is more than 12 months ago)
10. Then answer all other questions, and it will come to the page listing all your answers and then Next
11. You will see what documents you need to submit for a work permit extension: there's no medical exam required and no fee to be paid

magic777

Sep 23, 2023
Hi there,
I am also in process to renew my work permit as protected person for first time. Can me and my spouse put the application together on my gc key account?

Zuzu1111

Jul 24, 2024
Urgent!

I have about 2 months and 22 days left to my first WP as a protected person. I recetnly got a new job and they will be asking for my work permit.(first work day on Aug 6)

Should I apply for extension right now or when it's like 45 days left to expiary?

P.S: it is a permanent job so I don't want them to feel like I "lied" to them about wanting to work there for years.

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
Hi there,
I am also in process to renew my work permit as protected person for first time. Can me and my spouse put the application together on my gc key account?
I believe you both have to apply from your own GC account and not together.

Forum please correct me if im wrong!

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
Urgent!

I have about 2 months and 22 days left to my first WP as a protected person. I recetnly got a new job and they will be asking for my work permit.(first work day on Aug 6)

Should I apply for extension right now or when it's like 45 days left to expiary?

P.S: it is a permanent job so I don't want them to feel like I "lied" to them about wanting to work there for years.
I would give your new job the current valid work permit and apply for a renewal of the WP at the same time. I always applied 2-3 months before expiry of my WP.

Reactions: Zuzu1111

Zuzu1111

Jul 24, 2024
When we apply for the work permit extension for both refugee claimants and accepted refugees:
1. We go to the GCKey Portal
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html

2. Go to the bottom page > Start an application > and click on "Apply to come to Canada"
3. In my case, no personal reference code, click on "visitor, study or work permit"
4. For questions: What would you like to do in Canada > Select Work > How long would you like to stay in Canada > Select Temporary less than 6 months, then answer all other questions
5. Not a US PR (most of us are not)
6. Find out if you are eligible to apply > Click on "Refugee Claimant" then Next button
7. Then select the situation that applies to you -- e.g. refugee claim in progress or accepted refugee or other situations
8. Then answer all other questions page by page
9. When asked if you have medical exam performed by IRCC authorized doctors in the past 12 months, click No, if you haven't had it (in my case I only did the medical exam paid by IRCC when making the refugee claim and is more than 12 months ago)
10. Then answer all other questions, and it will come to the page listing all your answers and then Next
11. You will see what documents you need to submit for a work permit extension: there's no medical exam required and no fee to be paid
why do we choose "Temporary Less than 6 months" instead of more than 6 months?