+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to move to Canada

Thanks Leon, probably going to order with with Air Canada tomorrow.

When I get there, and I have to attend the Orientation Meeting's to get my SIN etc... do I need to message them first to let them know date I am going to be there? or do I just attend?

I don't want to order my tickets, get there for a certain date, and then the meeting being full up. Do they just need to know I am attending, or is it because there might be too many members on that day?

On the form it says if you're travelling to Montreal, to phone or email them, and if travelling to Vancouver, you should email them, yet it doesn't say anything about Toronto.

You think I'll be alright to order my flights tomorrow, and then email them/BUNAC just to find out exactly? and there's no risk of being rejected for the meeting.

Leon, if I travel to Toronto, stay over night there and then go to the meeting, and get a plane to Halifax the next day, do you think I'll have any problems, with them questioning me etc.. or think I'll be fine as I have my visa?

Also, I want to stay in some place over night, which is around $25, and I am going to reserve a place there, do you think I'll just be able to pay by cash when I get there, as the FAQ on their site says:

14. Will you charge my credit card right away?
No. Your credit card number is used ONLY to guarantee your reservation. You will be charged for the first night if you do not show up for your reservation. So if you need to cancel, please give us 24 hours notice by phone or e-mail and you will not be charged.

I don't think my English card will work, which is why I want to pay by cash, but I'm not sure.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you fly from Toronto to Halifax, you shouldn't have any problem because it's a domestic flight. Nobody will ask for your visa, just for your ID. When you arrive at the place you are staying, let them know that you want to pay cash and not charge your card. It shouldn't be a problem.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know if Bunac wants to keep track of where you go in Canada but if they didn't say, I am sure they just want to know when you arrive in Toronto.

Damn, they emailed me back and said:

Thanks for your e-mail. We require valid credit card details to make a reservation but you can pay on arrival via a number of methods. We accept, CAD and US cash, CAD and US travellers cheques, Visa, MC, Amex and Debit.

I don't have a credit card I don't think, I only have a UK Maestro card and a UK Solo card, which I believe are debit cards yeah?

So I should be ok to make a reservation with them, or is that only for payment?

And that means I'll need to order a credit card or something now? even though it takes around 4 weeks.

They emailed me back, I need a credit card to reserve a place to stay, however they said it may be possible to walk in and get a room that way, so I may take that risk. Got to try find out with my girlfriend whether she's willing to wait another 5 weeks or so, so I can obtain a credit card, if not, I'll just go and hope for the best.

Also, Leon, do you think I will need a return ticket when booking my flight to Halifax from Toronto?

I suppose I could just tell them I am going to be driving back to Toronto, as I will have a return ticket to the UK from Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need a return ticket from Halifax to Toronto. When you arrive, all they care about is that you have a ticket out of Canada. They don't know that you are going to Halifax a day later.

When you are going to Halifax, it's a domestic flight. You might not know how long you are staying in Halifax or you might take the greyhound back.

Thanks Leon, will be ordering tickets between now and Tuesday then.

Since Air Canada tickets are one's emailed to me and I just print out, I could order them and be gone within a week of ordering, yeah? (I know I have to send information to Bunac first, so I just mean if I didn't have to do this)

Also, from working in an airport, I have noticed people have tickets which have a barcode which is scanned, is that the kind of tickets the one's from Air Canada are?

I've decided against getting a credit card too, if it's going to take around 4 weeks. If it takes a week or two, I may order one just so I can guarantee a reservation, but if not, I will just turn up and hope for the best, as it's only going to be a night there.

Thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, it's just a regular printed sheet of paper with their special bar code on top. I have flown with these tickets many times. There's no problem. You can even check in yourself online 12 hours before the flight, select your seat and print out your boarding card or you can usually check in in one of the machines they have at the airport. Last time I flew, they wanted you to do this, they were not actually checking anybody in at the check-in anymore, just taking your bags.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, since you are staying with your girlfriend and don't have to pay rent, you should be fine.