+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to move to Canada

Also, hoping it is all ok, (a few of my friends have said it seems fine and I will 99% be approved) do you think it will be difficult to find a job and for my girlfriend and I to be married as you have said?

It was 6 weeks today that my form was sent by them to the Canadian High Commision, but they told my there has been a number of postal strikes recently, so this could be what is delaying the process.

Do things seem to you like it's going to be fine and I will be approved or does something seem wrong?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seems fine. I don't think you will have much of a problem finding at least some kind of job. You should take your birth certificate with you to get married. You will already have your passport.

Ok thanks, I'll need to get a copy of my birth certificate then, is anything else needed?

I just get paranoid, as I seem to have lots of bad luck happen to me, but I assume it is just delayed, as they have to deal with thousand's of people, so they know what they're doing, so hopefully it'll be sorted soon.

Also Leon, any idea if a Maestro card will work in Canada? Even if it's just at an ATM.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wouldn't count on the maestro card working. You can ask your bank, maybe they can tell you which bank in Canada has ATM's that are supposed to work for you and you can look it up where this bank is located in your girlfriends town but what would be better is to empty your account and get either a bank draft or travellers checks and open an account in Canada to put it in or ask your bank before you go what you have to do to be able to do a wire transfer later and once you have an account in Canada, wire the money from your account in the UK.

Ok thanks, I'll ask my bank this week, and yeah, from what I have gathered, Bunac help you arrange bank accounts and stuff, I just wanted to know if my card would work as I will be payed money from my job I am leaving during the first 1-2 months I am in Canada.

I'll apply for a birth certificate this week too, then that should be everything needed for marriage, yeah?

Hopefully my visa is approved this week, it's probably just the postal delay affecting it, I just hope nothing else has gone wrong. I can't wait to leave.

Hey Leon, does this seem like the legit site to get the birth certificate from?

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Also, you don't think I will end up having to recollect and send everything to Bunac again do you? ... or am I just worrying too much and being impatient?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, it says home office on it so it certainly looks like the right place.

I think you are being impatient and worrying too much.

Ok thanks, I'll order a certificate this week. I assume that's the right one I need? and it doesn't matter that it isn't the exact original copy, yeah?

I'll stop worrying too, as you and everyone else has told me it should be fine, so I'll just hope it comes through soon and will be approved.

Thanks again.

Also, would you say Air Transat is ok to order online flights with? As when I checked again, it still says it will only be around £200-400 for flights, which is good for me. I don't want to be spending around £600-800 on just flights, but I doubt it'll be that much unless it's first class etc... no?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have flown Air Transat before so I know they exist but that's about it. You can also check the air canada website for offers or expedia.com or somebody else.

I don't think it matters what kind of birth certificate you have as long as it says that on it. I come from a country where there are no original copies of them but you can get one printed out in 5 minutes if you go to their office and I have never had any problems with it not being accepted.

Still no news yet, I really hope nothing has gone wrong. =[

I emailed them today just asking are the postal strikes still happening etc...

So hopefully they reply within the week and that it will be approved and that it hasn't went missing or anything, it's really stressing me out.

EDIT: IT'S BEEN ISSUED!

I think now I just need to send my travel information (which I will hopefully get this week) then I can go. =D

Hey Leon, I am probably going to book my flights on Monday, but most places seem to not do flights with a return in a year's time.

Do you think it's possible to book a one way ticket there? and a one way ticket back in a year?

That way there's still proof I am planning on returning (even though I am not).

I'll probably look around the travel agent's first, if not, I will use that Air Transat, hopefully it'll be fine.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can either come with one ticket and tell them you couldn't book a year in advance or you can buy a ticket with an earlier return and change the dates for it later.

Well they said I need to have a ticket showing that I will return, so telling them I couldn't book a year doesn't seem like an option (but maybe I am wrong), I might just do that then, book one for an earlier return (however not too early) as my girlfriend and I have agreed to marriage, then to apply so I won't have to leave.

I might email them ask them about the tickets, as they just said they need proof of my flights inward and outward, so I'm sure two different one's would be fine, but maybe again I am wrong.

I'm also still looking at this air transat site ... as they seem cheap, but I'm unsure whether to book my flights with them, incase I don't get my tickets or if something goes wrong ... or would you say they are quite reliable? I did however just realise I wasn't reading the site correctly, and I can't book a year in advance with them either, so perhaps I might just have to book two tickets separate, one there and one back.

The exact message on the form says:

If you choose not to take BUNAC's Group Travel Package you have the option of arranging your own flight. It is a condition of the
Work Canada programme that you have a confirmed flight to Canada as well as an onward flight/transportation departing North
America. We cannot make any exceptions to this condition.

and:

Copy of your airline e-ticket or booking confirmation showing
both your outward (to Canada) AND onward (departing North
America which is defined as Canada, America, Mexico and
the Caribbean Islands) flight booking. Standby flights are not
acceptable as these are not confirmed bookings. Most
airlines can only book return flights up to 11 months from the
day of booking therefore we would advise you to book a
transferable ticket so you can change your return flight date
once in Canada if required.

Also, if I ordered tickets with Aircanada. I'd need my travel information to send to Bunac. So do you know if Aircanada will just email me confirmation of my flights and I can then send that, or send something by post?

Just need to be sure, as I am planning on headng out on 15th Sept.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have flown with Transat but I didn't buy the tickets from their website. I have however bought tickets from the Air Canada website. They will send you a ticket by email and you print it out. You can buy tickets on the Air Canada website that you can change later although it will cost you a bit if you have to change them.