+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to move to Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you put a letter in the mail and there is no stamp on it, the postman will return it to you as long as you put your name and address on it as the sender. If you did not put your name and address on it, who knows what they do with it. I suggest you call the post and ask.

Ok, I didn't put my name on the back or address, so perhaps they'll open it to check my address.

From a variety of sites I have checked, and my mum/dad and grandparents, as well as my supervisor in work, said that the receiptent (in this case BUNAC) will have to pay the fee for the stamp, and then they send me a bill for the stamp ... as I said, I have emailed them explaining the situation, so hopefully it will work out.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So if somebody sends you a letter with no stamp on it, you have to pay? Then why does anybody buy stamps? :)

In Canada, they would return the letter to you in the mail with a sticker that says insufficient postage or something like that.

Sorry what I meant was, for example, if someone sends me a letter with no stamp, I have to pay a fee for the stamp (something like that) and the person who sent the letter(in this case me) will receive a bill saying that they need to pay for the stamp, I'm unsure whether this is from the post office or the person who receives the letter.

My mum went the post sorting office place yesterday and asked the guy what happens, and he said, they'll get it, and I owe a fee for stamp, or it will be sent back to me.

So hopefully it works out alright, just waiting for Bunac to reply to email, I emailed them on Tuesday.

No reply so far, will give 'em today, as they said if I have no reply a week after sending my forms then to let 'em know.

Going to ask them do they think I should re-send everything to them, I have everything needed, would just need to complete the form again and get another reference from supervisor, but everything else is there.

Ok, they replied and said:

Hi,

Hopefully it will arrive but it can take anything up to 3 weeks to arrive, if you have not heard from us in this time then you should contact us again.

Regards

Deborah Walker
Work America & Work Canada Manager

Now I wonder if that's the time it takes for my forms to arrive with them, or the time it takes for them to send it to the other place (Canadian High Commision or something) ... either way, hopefully it'll all be alright.

Hey Leon, everything's sent and all the forms were in order, and they've sent it to the Canadian High Commision, so it's just a process of waiting now.

Thanks for helping me through all this and hopefully everything goes ok.

My girlfriend and I can just get married and then apply for sponsorship and if that's accepted, then I can stay longer than my year granted, yeah?

The only thing that is worrying me is:

In the Bunac handbook, it says not permitted to have any dependants or a Canadian partner.

Now, Bunac know I am with her, as I have told them many times, and they have spoken to me about coming to be with her etc... and you've told me to apply for this visa then marry her, so do you think it will all be ok?

Thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you are not supposed to have a Canadian partner but she's not your partner yet legally, she's just your girlfriend.

If you marry her and apply outland, you could have your PR within 6 months after applying if your application is well in order. If you apply inland, it's a little more risky because if they have a problem with your application you would be stuck in limbo.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can apply inland. However..

If immigration is unsure about your case and they would like an interview, if you applied inland, it will mean that your application gets forwarded to a local visa office without a first stage approval and open work permit. Getting the interview depends on their caseload but can take up to 3 years. In the meantime, your working holiday visa would be expired and you would not be able to legally work in Canada but you would be stuck because when you apply inland, the basis of it is that you live in Canada and if you left, you might not be able to get back and would lose your application and all your waiting time.

With outland, if immigration is unsure about your case and they would like an interview, they call you to London for it right away, not in 3 years. You can apply outland even when you are staying in Canada. You would only have to go back if they ask for an interview.

JTP

Jul 13, 2009
I'm sorry if this is considered a hijacking. However, I've been reading through this thread with interest, and it appears to me that BUNAC may be helpful to me, also. And, I can see that Leon is knowledgeable about this. I too am a British citizen with a British passport. BUNAC is currently accepting applications for student visas on the 2009 programme. Do you know, what is considered to be a student? Is an A-Level student included within the description of, "full-time student"? Because, I see that those in a gap year are also accepted.

Any help will be appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know. If you can't find the answer on the Bunac website, maybe you should contact them and ask.

I'm still waiting for my visa to be approved, but it should be within next week or so.

When I sent it, they said everything was in order, and I haven't heard anything about more information being required, so do you think it will be approved, or think I will be rejected?

I have no criminal record, I am currently working (1 year+ at the moment) and have some grades, all above grade C, except for three D's.