+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

ArEm

Apr 29, 2014
Okay, wow. Well, after almost 200 pages, I've made it to the end of this incredibly helpful thread!

We are just starting to get out paperwork together to get going on me sponsoring my fiance from within the states, outland. Gosh, this is intimidating. Not looking for advice just this second, more just wanting to say Hi, and thanks for all the help and advice that exists on these pages. I have no idea where I'd even start without it.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
ArEm said:
Okay, wow. Well, after almost 200 pages, I've made it to the end of this incredibly helpful thread!

We are just starting to get out paperwork together to get going on me sponsoring my fiance from within the states, outland. Gosh, this is intimidating. Not looking for advice just this second, more just wanting to say Hi, and thanks for all the help and advice that exists on these pages. I have no idea where I'd even start without it.
most important thing to know i wish i did before i applied... your visa office is ottawa, and police records expire after 3 months, so the initial office must receive them within 3 months. so make sure to time it correctly! also, please do NOT get intimidated by reading about other people's large submissions. as US citizens, we are given a bit more leeway, so our proof does NOT need to be hundreds or thousands of pages. they say it's quality over quantity. Also, the processing time listed on the CIC site is not always accurate. the most recent "average" for US applicants is 8-10 months for the entire outland process. There are threads for each month of applicants, and in each thread is a spreadsheet that tracks everyone's progress. Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions! :)

Saneth

Star Member
Jul 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10-2013
AOR Received.
23-10-2013
File Transfer...
06-11-2013
Med's Done....
24-09-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014
ArEm said:

Since you're an outland/US applicant, your file will be processed in Ottawa. The Ottawa thread might be helpful for you as well. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cppottawa-t118769.4935.html

Yaak

Star Member
Aug 30, 2012
Salt Spring Island, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
Doc's Request.
26-08-2014
AOR Received.
SA 01-08-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2014
LANDED..........
17-01-2015
On the matter of police records, my FBI letter reached it's 3 month "use by" date last month (It came sooner than expected and the application, now almost ready to go, took longer than expected. I forgot about the 3 month limit until reminded by a recent forum post). As a matter of strategy, would it be better to send in the application now, with the December dated police record letter, and expect to get a request for an updated letter from CIC later in the process, or would it be best to hold the entire application until a new letter arrives from the FBI in another month or so?

I have no appreciation for the weight given to the police record/FBI letter for US applicants. Would the entire application be thrown back to us because of the older letter, or would it be a small detail that would cause a delay later in the process? Does anyone have experience with this particular conundrum? Thanks,

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Yaak said:
On the matter of police records, my FBI letter reached it's 3 month "use by" date last month (It came sooner than expected and the application, now almost ready to go, took longer than expected. I forgot about the 3 month limit until reminded by a recent forum post). As a matter of strategy, would it be better to send in the application now, with the December dated police record letter, and expect to get a request for an updated letter from CIC later in the process, or would it be best to hold the entire application until a new letter arrives from the FBI in another month or so?

I have no appreciation for the weight given to the police record/FBI letter for US applicants. Would the entire application be thrown back to us because of the older letter, or would it be a small detail that would cause a delay later in the process? Does anyone have experience with this particular conundrum? Thanks,
personally i would get another one, more recent. especially now that the wait time for them is only about 3 weeks. i didn't know this fun fact until AFTER our application was sent in, and mine cut it REALLY close. Since it's not that hefty of a pricetag, i have been debating getting a second one, just in case. So far we haven't been asked for a new one. (fingers crossed!)

We forgot a form in our package, and had to send it in. My husband was told on monday when he called that it can take 3-4 weeks for a missing document to be added to the original application, so yes, i believe getting a request for an updated one would certainly delay the process. What would suck would be for them to request a new record, and the FBI's wait time increases significantly and goes beyond the grace period they give you. At that point, your application would be sent back and you have to start all over again!

I would think the FBI record has an inpact on the application since it will prove whether the applicant has a criminal record, and Canada certainly doesn't like criminals applying for PR!

Yaak

Star Member
Aug 30, 2012
Salt Spring Island, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
Doc's Request.
26-08-2014
AOR Received.
SA 01-08-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2014
LANDED..........
17-01-2015
rhcohen2014 said:
personally i would get another one, more recent. especially now that the wait time for them is only about 3 weeks. i didn't know this fun fact until AFTER our application was sent in, and mine cut it REALLY close. Since it's not that hefty of a pricetag, i have been debating getting a second one, just in case. So far we haven't been asked for a new one. (fingers crossed!)

We forgot a form in our package, and had to send it in. My husband was told on monday when he called that it can take 3-4 weeks for a missing document to be added to the original application, so yes, i believe getting a request for an updated one would certainly delay the process. What would suck would be for them to request a new record, and the FBI's wait time increases significantly and goes beyond the grace period they give you. At that point, your application would be sent back and you have to start all over again!

I would think the FBI record has an inpact on the application since it will prove whether the applicant has a criminal record, and Canada certainly doesn't like criminals applying for PR!
Thanks for the feedback! I checked the FBI site and they are currently running 22 calendar days for a request -- far better than the 16 - 18 weeks (outdated information) posted on the CIC web site. I'll be getting another set of prints done tomorrow.

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
Yaak said:

When we filed, we included an out dated FBI report, with a note that an updated one would be sent later. We wanted to get in the queue as quickly as possible, and CIC seemed happy enough with that arrangement.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It is ideal to have everything in the application before sending it off. But sounds like many people have not had any issues sending it out later like chala has done.

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
& SA: 10-10-2013
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2014 ; reissued 21-05-2014
LANDED..........
planning for 11-06-2014!!!
Does anyone know the email address for Ottawa? I just had my name changed on my passport and need to email a copy of the new bio page.... I haven't gotten anything by email from Ottawa, so if anyone could share the email address that would be great!!!
Hopefully the email with passport will get the ball moving a bit on my app... maybe wishful thinking, but we'll see!!!

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
kateee said:
Does anyone know the email address for Ottawa? I just had my name changed on my passport and need to email a copy of the new bio page.... I haven't gotten anything by email from Ottawa, so if anyone could share the email address that would be great!!!
Hopefully the email with passport will get the ball moving a bit on my app... maybe wishful thinking, but we'll see!!!
The email is: OttPilot-immigration@cic.gc.ca

Make sure you include all your info in the email so they can match it up. My emails looked like this:

Subject: Application FXXXXXXXXX...(can say sending in new passport photo)

Application FXXXXXXXXX
Sponsor:
UCI: XXXXXXXX
Birth Date:
Place of Birth:
Address:

Application: FXXXXXXXXX
Applicant:
UCI: XXXXXXXX
Birth Date:
Place of Birth:
Address:

And then after all that I write the actual email.

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
So I sent CIC an email yesterday asking if there is any status update and a friendly, from the heart letter explaining we have been waiting patiently, we are two big burly dorky guys who are in love and responded to their request for further documentation over 60 days ago. This morning I looked at ECAS as I have for the past 8 1/2 months and it says DECISION MADE!! WOOT!!!!

I guess everyone kind of does this, but it said they started processing my file on 4/29 and decision made now. Hoping thats a normal processing time since they had already asked for some other documents. There was no PPR and just straight to Decision Made. I had sent in copies of every page of my passport that had info on it with the application.

OMG totally awesome.. lol beside myself right now and can't believe it finally happened. Just hoping it's a good news decision. lol

kateee

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2013
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
& SA: 10-10-2013
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2014 ; reissued 21-05-2014
LANDED..........
planning for 11-06-2014!!!
Florida Bear said:
So I sent CIC an email yesterday asking if there is any status update and a friendly, from the heart letter explaining we have been waiting patiently, we are two big burly dorky guys who are in love and responded to their request for further documentation over 60 days ago. This morning I looked at ECAS as I have for the past 8 1/2 months and it says DECISION MADE!! WOOT!!!!

I guess everyone kind of does this, but it said they started processing my file on 4/29 and decision made now. Hoping thats a normal processing time since they had already asked for some other documents. There was no PPR and just straight to Decision Made. I had sent in copies of every page of my passport that had info on it with the application.

OMG totally awesome.. lol beside myself right now and can't believe it finally happened. Just hoping it's a good news decision. lol
Amazing!!! Congrats! I just sent them an email with my new passport and notification that we will be moving in the next month... Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you!!

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
kateee said:
Amazing!!! Congrats! I just sent them an email with my new passport and notification that we will be moving in the next month... Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you!!
Thanks! I'm sure yours will be showing up very shortly! ;)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Florida Bear said:

Congrats! Many people go from Application Received to Decision Made (my wife did).

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
keesio said:
Congrats! Many people go from Application Received to Decision Made (my wife did).
Thanks!!!!! :D super excited!!