Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM June 2/2015 and COPR arrived June 10/2015
LANDED..........
June 15/2015 Yay! 8) PR card arrived Sept 3/2015
Thanks for the info :) Now I we are worried as we would like to be together not apart for long term other than a few weeks. We did it all by the book and did the extension. Now what to do to stay together without the insecurity of wondering if she will be let back in again, not to mention the expense of a wasted ticket. ?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Evadyrrehs said:
Thanks for the info :) Now I we are worried as we would like to be together not apart for long term other than a few weeks. We did it all by the book and did the extension. Now what to do to stay together without the insecurity of wondering if she will be let back in again, not to mention the expense of a wasted ticket. ?
you can always call CBSA and ask them. i'm not sure if that will actually be helpful because each agent has their own opinion and it really depends on that agent's mood in the moment. What I would do is try for another extension, because if she already has permission to stay, and just needs to return for a couple of weeks for personal reasons, it at least shows she has that permission already. or just try to cross again as planned. you just never know how the chips will fall unfortunately. Again, what i say may not be exactly true either. it's just based on my own experience. I apologize for adding to your stress. Believe me! i know how it is... my stomache is always in knots when i drive up to the border. just try to get as much information as possible, and make sure she's prepared at the border. that's gotta work in your favor, i would think!

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
No you didn't add to our stress and I thank you for all your time and info responding :) It's just a stressful process as you know. Wondering if when we purchase a plane ticket for her to go back to Chicago at the end of June with a return back here a few weeks later, then add in the gamble if they will let her in again really makes it all in the realm of unknowns. Depending on the good mood of the border officer is also a gamble, so many unknowns to try and plan by etc as you also know. Would be nice if there were a dependable source of info somewhere that states if she would be allowed back into Canada as a visitor after being here for a year and then leaving for a few weeks to the US then coming back again etc..

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
having a return ticket when she tries to reenter by plane is a must - not having one is the biggest red flags for overstay, and a top reason for being refused entry.

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
The return ticket would be for coming back here though. She's here as a visitor from Chicago with a one year stay, then we would get a ticket for a roundtrip back to Canada after a few weeks back in Chicago.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Evadyrrehs said:
The return ticket would be for coming back here though. She's here as a visitor from Chicago with a one year stay, then we would get a ticket for a roundtrip back to Canada after a few weeks back in Chicago.
if your application is not in, and you are not married... you are going to want to get a roundtrip ticket back to the US. again, big red flag if there is no plan to return. CBSA does not like that at all! I know this may seem silly. if you are in Canada, look for the TV show "Border Security" I have learned A LOT about CBSA watching that show. it gives some good tips that i have used while crossing!

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you for all your help. We will look into adjusting our plans me thinks :) Perhaps we will get married asap then file for outland and have all our paper work etc and see from there..

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Evadyrrehs said:
Thank you for all your help. We will look into adjusting our plans me thinks :) Perhaps we will get married asap then file for outland and have all our paper work etc and see from there..
yep... that may work better for your situation. just add your marriage certificate to the list of paperwork she needs to bring with her. like i said, they are a lot friendlier to already married couples with applications in... they want to know you are following their rules and not making your own.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
oh, and in your research if you are told by CBSA that it's NOT 6 mo in a calendar year, and all you have to do is return for a certain period of time, PLEASE let us know. that will change our plans too!!!!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Evadyrrehs said:
out of curiousity, how did your fiance get the initial 6 mo visit? Does she work remotely or able to prove significant ties to the US? and what did you guys say in your application for an extension? I'm impressed she was able to stay for a year without being married!

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sure we will let everyone know if I find out the info on how long each calendar year one can stay.

Re the visit question: We met in June and I bought her a one way ticket to come here for July 1st 2013. I had asked a travel agent if that may pose a problem and she seem to not think so. We didn't know how long she would be here so that seemed like a good idea.. Anyhow she did get scrutinized by the border agents and almost wasn't let through to visit. The agent called me and wanted to know our plans and how we met and I told him and that we were thinking she'd stay a month but we weren't sure if it would be 4 weeks or 6 or? . After we talked I asked him if she was going to be able to come and visit and he said he didn't think it would be a problem. Next thing I knew she called me and said they let her through.. Her passport wasn't stamped and we looked into and found out that meant she could stay for up to six months. We then found out later on that we could apply for an extension so we did. It wasn't clear anywhere we looked on how long you could ask for an extension for a visit so we asked for another 6 months and after waiting a good while it was granted, yay :) So that leads to what we want to do now etc.. We really do not want to be apart, love each other very much, we are living like a normal couple does and want to stay together and not be apart.. So that's what we are trying to figure out our best bet to be able to be together long term with the least hassle or risk.. It would really be horrifying to get that one year exclusion that you mentioned happen to you, how did you handle that it must have been really tough to be apart that long?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Evadyrrehs said:
Sure we will let everyone know if I find out the info on how long each calendar year one can stay.

Re the visit question: We met in June and I bought her a one way ticket to come here for July 1st 2013. I had asked a travel agent if that may pose a problem and she seem to not think so. We didn't know how long she would be here so that seemed like a good idea.. Anyhow she did get scrutinized by the border agents and almost wasn't let through to visit. The agent called me and wanted to know our plans and how we met and I told him and that we were thinking she'd stay a month but we weren't sure if it would be 4 weeks or 6 or? . After we talked I asked him if she was going to be able to come and visit and he said he didn't think it would be a problem. Next thing I knew she called me and said they let her through.. Her passport wasn't stamped and we looked into and found out that meant she could stay for up to six months. We then found out later on that we could apply for an extension so we did. It wasn't clear anywhere we looked on how long you could ask for an extension for a visit so we asked for another 6 months and after waiting a good while it was granted, yay :) So that leads to what we want to do now etc.. We really do not want to be apart, love each other very much, we are living like a normal couple does and want to stay together and not be apart.. So that's what we are trying to figure out our best bet to be able to be together long term with the least hassle or risk.. It would really be horrifying to get that one year exclusion that you mentioned happen to you, how did you handle that it must have been really tough to be apart that long?
wow! what a great story. just goes to prove that no matter what we read or other people say, it really comes down to the border agent and the specific situation!

yes, the exclusion order was really tough. rumor has it the day i was trying to enter was the day the US and Canada signed an agreement to crack down on illegal immigration. i have since learned there are less severe actions that could have been taken - like just withdrawing my application to enter! (fun fact learned from the show "Border Security")

we did the best we could and basically my then boyfriend came to the states every month to visit me. we also took trips together in the states. we are an 8 hr drive from eachother, so it's not a significant distance. we met in the middle or by the border to make it easier at times. we are lucky he has quite the vacation and sick day package at work. he works for the city of ottawa, so he gets A LOT of time off! once it was lifted, i traveled back for a short visit, and was very prepared. my first visit i received a visitor record and had to "check out" on my way home. they literally took my passport, and made sure our car was pointed toward the US before they would give it back! the second time, i didn't have to check out, and they still had a record stapled to my passport. after that it's been easier, and they've seen i've been complying with them. also getting married has helped. i was told the last time they've "upped my status" in their system! lol

good luck and keep us updated!!!!

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
That was a lot you both had to go through! I hope the same doesn't happen to us as we are about a 24hr drive apart and my job doesn't have those same perks and leeway to get away as much. It's good they updated you in their system and I hope that all goes well from here on in for you guys. Thanks for the good luck I think we're going to need it seeings how everything seems to be set on the individual border agents ruling and the day they are having :(

Canuck*soon

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 10, 2013
Doc's Request.
PCC submitted March 11, 2014
AOR Received.
April 15, 2013
Med's Request
January 23, 2014
Med's Done....
March 4, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
AIP January 23, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM April 29, 2014
LANDED..........
May 29, 2014 after 14 months 3 weeks and 3 days
Does anyone have the phone number to call CIC from the states - the general number and or the number for the Calgary office, please? Thanks in advance.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Canuck*soon said:
Does anyone have the phone number to call CIC from the states - the general number and or the number for the Calgary office, please? Thanks in advance.
unfortunately there are no numbers that work outside of canada. the 888 # as well as the local 613 # for CIC do not accept calls from outside canada. i can't speak to the calgary visa office, though i would think it's listed on the CIC website under local visa office contact info.