+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
Sweden said:
Congrats and welcome to Canada as a PR! :) glad to hear it all went smoothly at the border... The card should come in about a month, more or less... but the only thing you really need to COPR for is to get the SIN, after that I have never been asked for my COPR... now it's somewhere in a safe, because apparently whenever you want to claim a pension, later on, that's the only paper that says when you landed exactly! that's what the lady at Service Canada told me when I went to get my SIN...
Sweden
Thank you! :)

Yes I recall you mentioning that before. When I get my PR card, I take it I'm ok to rip the COPR out of my passport and lock it away? I wouldn't want to lose it!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Korma said:
Thank you! :)

Yes I recall you mentioning that before. When I get my PR card, I take it I'm ok to rip the COPR out of my passport and lock it away? I wouldn't want to lose it!
Yes - mine wasn't stapled at all in my passport.. I think it's mostly useful for non-visa-exempt that would travel to the US and need to have it to get back into the country, but if you're not going anywhere, or traveling on your own passport, you don't need it. I made a few copies, and I had one with me (when applying for work, I was asked to prove that I was allowed to work here, and it was before I got my PR card, same for a bank account), just in case.

For banks - I suppose you already have a bank account, but otherwise most banks have a deal for new immigrants, with 1 year free banking... always worth asking!
Sweden

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
Ah thanks Sweden, that's good to know. Helpful as ever :).

I have a card on my wife's account, but not an account of my own. Not sure what I'm going to do with regards to that just yet.

I thought the PR card was close to two months and not one. Great :), I may even have it by the time I head to the States in late May! :)

MapleCross

Mar 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2012
File Transfer...
22-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-04-2013
We landed yesterday at the Calais, Maine border with my mother-in-law and her partner. In the car I handed over my passport and ESTA form (with their Canadian passports) to be looked at by the booth agent and he looked through my passport for quite a while. I was getting nervous when he leaned over and asked, "You lived in Japan?" I said yes, and he seemed really excited all of sudden, he asked me about my time there and said in a chipper voice that I need to go inside the building. I was smiling because he was kind of skipping to the door to hand the other agent my docs. My husband and I went into the building while my MIL waited outside.

Only one of the agents knew how to do the immigration forms apparently and he was busy so we waited about 20 mins. During that time we saw three sets of people get chewed out for breaking the rules. My MIL said she saw two women crying and then another guy in a different group cursing angrily as they went back to their cars!! When the one agent who could help us got to us, some other agents were SHOUTING at a couple of guys in the other room. Scary but surreal as the border agent from earlier was joking with us about Japan and if we heard the "fireworks" going on (i.e., all the crying/cursing that we were witnessing!). :eek: ;D

We were told that the new immigration rules means that we have to fill out a new form not the ETSA (which was for landing by planes only??) but they seemed happy we had it because it gave them the info they needed. I guess he must have filled the form out himself on the pc because he stapled it to my passport and told me to return the form when we came back later that day!

We left, and assured my MIL that the wait wasn't because we were one of the ones being scolded, and went shopping for a couple hours. We ate lunch at a restaurant called Yancy's and it was deeelicious.

On the way back, when we had to give our passports in the car again, I put in my COPR so she would know I was landing and she was pretty great, showing where we should go. MIL and hubby had to go into the building with me to pay duties on the stuff we bought and I waited for someone who knew how to do "landing procedures". We waited for maybe 30/40 mins and I was getting nervous. The place looked empty with only a woman who knew how to deal with tax/duties section there.

Then all of a sudden 4 people came back and we were seen to (they must have all been on lunch?) After that, it was pretty anti-climatic, as has been stated before. I signed stuff, showed my marriage cert (which he barely even looked at) and wrote my address down (he didn't ask for proof of address) and returned the US border form. And he signed stuff and gave me a paper indicating how to get my SIN and stuff. He said it will take a long time to get the PR card (many months) but I'm sure it won't be that long. The only thing that really makes me smile thinking about it now is the amount of times he said "Congratulations!" Like, four or five times! :D

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
Why is it that when I am calculating DM days on the spreadsheet with the formula (just copying the formula) it is coming up as a negative number? Are my settings different from others maybe? It is doing it to me all the time...

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
MapleCross said:
We landed yesterday at the Calais, Maine border with my mother-in-law and her partner. In the car I handed over my passport and ESTA form (with their Canadian passports) to be looked at by the booth agent and he looked through my passport for quite a while. I was getting nervous when he leaned over and asked, "You lived in Japan?" I said yes, and he seemed really excited all of sudden, he asked me about my time there and said in a chipper voice that I need to go inside the building. I was smiling because he was kind of skipping to the door to hand the other agent my docs. My husband and I went into the building while my MIL waited outside.

Only one of the agents knew how to do the immigration forms apparently and he was busy so we waited about 20 mins. During that time we saw three sets of people get chewed out for breaking the rules. My MIL said she saw two women crying and then another guy in a different group cursing angrily as they went back to their cars!! When the one agent who could help us got to us, some other agents were SHOUTING at a couple of guys in the other room. Scary but surreal as the border agent from earlier was joking with us about Japan and if we heard the "fireworks" going on (i.e., all the crying/cursing that we were witnessing!). :eek: ;D

We were told that the new immigration rules means that we have to fill out a new form not the ETSA (which was for landing by planes only??) but they seemed happy we had it because it gave them the info they needed. I guess he must have filled the form out himself on the pc because he stapled it to my passport and told me to return the form when we came back later that day!

We left, and assured my MIL that the wait wasn't because we were one of the ones being scolded, and went shopping for a couple hours. We ate lunch at a restaurant called Yancy's and it was deeelicious.

On the way back, when we had to give our passports in the car again, I put in my COPR so she would know I was landing and she was pretty great, showing where we should go. MIL and hubby had to go into the building with me to pay duties on the stuff we bought and I waited for someone who knew how to do "landing procedures". We waited for maybe 30/40 mins and I was getting nervous. The place looked empty with only a woman who knew how to deal with tax/duties section there.

Then all of a sudden 4 people came back and we were seen to (they must have all been on lunch?) After that, it was pretty anti-climatic, as has been stated before. I signed stuff, showed my marriage cert (which he barely even looked at) and wrote my address down (he didn't ask for proof of address) and returned the US border form. And he signed stuff and gave me a paper indicating how to get my SIN and stuff. He said it will take a long time to get the PR card (many months) but I'm sure it won't be that long. The only thing I was that makes me smile thinking about it now is the amount of times he said "Congratulations!" Like, four or five times! :D
Great story, congratulations

katelynlc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fredericton, NB
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2012
Doc's Request.
29-04-2013
AOR Received.
26-11-2012
Med's Done....
02-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2013
LANDED..........
31-07-2013
MapleCross said:

Then all of a sudden 4 people came back and we were seen to (they must have all been on lunch?) After that, it was pretty anti-climatic, as has been stated before. I signed stuff, showed my marriage cert (which he barely even looked at) and wrote my address down (he didn't ask for proof of address) and returned the US border form. And he signed stuff and gave me a paper indicating how to get my SIN and stuff. He said it will take a long time to get the PR card (many months) but I'm sure it won't be that long. The only thing that really makes me smile thinking about it now is the amount of times he said "Congratulations!" Like, four or five times! :D
Congrats MapleCross! We're going to be using Calais when hubby lands (hopefully) in the next three months - Glad to hear a successful story as not too many people land via ME/NB border on here it seems. :)

CONGRATULATIONS again haha. :)

Merveille

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
19-10-2012
Med's Done....
16-04-2012
Korma said:
Well I landed yesterday! Despite the fact my wife and I were the only ones in the US border waiting room for a large portion of our wait, it took them ages just to turn us around.

It was a very anticlimactic affair coming back and landing. I handed over my forms and passport, waited a few minutes, the lady asked if I'd had any criminal convictions or been made to leave the country, I signed, she signed, done!

My copy of the COPR was stapled in my passport and the lady confirmed that while I'm waiting for my PR card to arrive, I can use that to get into Canada fine by land (but not by air as the air staff aren't trained to read the form - not that it would matter for me as I'm visa exempt).

I am so amazed that an idiot like me managed to fill in all the forms and include all necessary documentation for my application to their satisfaction. This time 7ish months ago I was buried in papers and had no clue what I was doing! ;D

We'll hopefully be getting my SIN and exchange my driver's licence next week.
congratulations and good luck with everything!

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
In new and confusing news, my wife has just been offered a job in California! If I have to apply for another visa I may jump out of a window! ARGH!

Merveille

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
19-10-2012
Med's Done....
16-04-2012
I took a break from ecas yesterday since We were out of montreal, as I logged in today I see the magical words Decision Made! I had to log in multiple times to ensure that it was what I was seeing.The home address was also there. The funny thing is that on our way home my husband told me that in his dream yesterday he was looking to rent a car to drive me over to the us boarder to LANd as a PR! What a coincidence.

Great way to start of the week!
I have a question..does it mean that the documents are already sent? I live in Montreal..how long can it take?

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Merveille said:
I took a break from ecas yesterday since We were out of montreal, as I logged in today I see the magical words Decision Made! I had to log in multiple times to ensure that it was what I was seeing.The home address was also there. The funny thing is that on our way home my husband told me that in his dream yesterday he was looking to rent a car to drive me over to the us boarder to LANd as a PR! What a coincidence.

I have a question..does it mean that the documents are already sent? I live in Montreal..how long can it take?
Félicitations! You can likely expect it by the middle of next week! You're husbands dream came true. Maybe you should ask him to dream about winning the lottery?

Merveille

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
19-10-2012
Med's Done....
16-04-2012
DGT said:
Félicitations! You can likely expect it by the middle of next week! You're husbands dream came true. Maybe you should ask him to dream about winning the lottery?
Thanks DGT. I will sure do that and hope for the same luck.

ghunter

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
File Transfer...
16-05-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-10-2013; re-issued 16-12-2013
LANDED..........
08-01-2014
Hello,

We are trying to get this in the mail, and found somewhere that we need to have a copy of my parner's birth certificate....is this true? I can't find it anywhere in the guide, but seems like lots of people sent them.

Did everyone here send their birth certificate (for the person being sponsored)??

Thanks!

SwedentoQuebec

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Stockholm/Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
Med's Done....
10-10-2012
Merveille said:

congratulations!!!! This is awesome!!!

Merveille

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
19-10-2012
Med's Done....
16-04-2012
SwedentoQuebec said:
congratulations!!!! This is awesome!!!
Indeed...now I have to stalk the postman? Thanks!