+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

TX-to-MTL

Apr 26, 2012
PPR received today!! Please update spreadsheet...

Some timeline info for those applying to Quebec:

App. Filed: Dec 22, 2011
AOR (Buffalo): Feb 10, 2012
Transfer to Seattle: Mar 28, 2012
Applied for CSQ: Apr 4, 2012
Received CSQ: May 15, 2012
Faxed CSQ to Seattle: May 15, 2012
PPR: May 19, 2012

What are the most current "PPR to COPR" timeline stats (Seattle to US address) ?

Thanks!

MsJoanne

Mar 22, 2012
Hey kids, me again! :)

For the spreadsheet, today I received a request for FBI background check (and birth cert, etc.) and was informed that I'll probably not have to have an in-person interview.

And I have a question. (To refresh, I'm American and hubby is Canadian and I'm applying for permanent residence.). My question: I submitted background checks for the two states I've lived in since I was 18 (I'm 52 now). When I went to the FBI page, there are links for state checks, too.

How did others handle this background info? Did you submit state AND federal? I'm a tad confused as to what exactly they want. Is there a ImmCan page with details? I went to their site and couldn't find specifics.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted for your spreadsheet as it happens.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MsJoanne said:

For the spreadsheet, today I received a request for FBI background check (and birth cert, etc.) and was informed that I'll probably not have to have an in-person interview.

And I have a question. (To refresh, I'm American and hubby is Canadian and I'm applying for permanent residence.). My question: I submitted background checks for the two states I've lived in since I was 18 (I'm 52 now). When I went to the FBI page, there are links for state checks, too.

How did others handle this background info? Did you submit state AND federal? I'm a tad confused as to what exactly they want. Is there a ImmCan page with details? I went to their site and couldn't find specifics.

Hello :) Usually, CIC only wants an FBI background check and explicitly requests state background checks if required. Take a look at the letter (and post the relevant section if you'd like additional thoughts).

Congrats on the progress!

MsJoanne

Mar 22, 2012
OhCanadiana said:
Hello :) Usually, CIC only wants an FBI background check and explicitly requests state background checks if required. Take a look at the letter (and post the relevant section if you'd like additional thoughts).

Congrats on the progress!
I thought the application itself requested state background checks (for all states resided in since age 18). I sent originals with the application.

This from the email:

__X__: Original (not photocopied) police certificates or criminal record checks issued by the police authorities in the countries or states specified below. Even if you have previously submitted police certificates or criminal record checks from these countries or states, you must obtain new/updated ones that are less than 1 year old. For instructions about obtaining police certificates, please see the website for Citizenship & Immigration Canada at the following link: cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp
Principal Applicant: FBI

That page confused me because it says states, too, I think. This is the text from CIC:

Who needs a police certificate?

In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

The certificate must have been issued no more than three months before you submit your application.

If the original certificate is neither in English nor in French, submit both the certificate and the original copy of a translation prepared by an accredited translator with your application.

Thanks so very much!!

Kiri

Jan 31, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012 App. Return....: 30-8-2012 App. Refiled....: 02-01-2013
Doc's Request.
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
23-01-2013 Mississauga 10-05-2013 Ottawa
File Transfer...
19-02-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2013 (New XRay)
Med's Done....
11-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Decision Made 03-09-2013 without PPR
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
Not sure the details on all the state stuff, but as far as I've understood it's just the FBI check, which does check all states. If more in depth checks are needed then they will ask for specific states. On my FBI check it specified that additional information about any entries were to be made with the state department in question if necessary.

I also wonder.. are they gonna push for me to do one for Canada? I didn't even think of that, but I've been in Canada a year and 5 days now with only a 3 week break in the middle. Stayed 1 day shy of 6 months then left for 3 weeks, came back and have been here 6 months and 4 days.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MsJoanne said:
I thought the application itself requested state background checks (for all states resided in since age 18). I sent originals with the application.

This from the email:

__X__: Original (not photocopied) police certificates or criminal record checks issued by the police authorities in the countries or states specified below. Even if you have previously submitted police certificates or criminal record checks from these countries or states, you must obtain new/updated ones that are less than 1 year old. For instructions about obtaining police certificates, please see the website for Citizenship & Immigration Canada at the following link: cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp
Principal Applicant: FBI

That page confused me because it says states, too, I think. This is the text from CIC:

Who needs a police certificate?

In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

The certificate must have been issued no more than three months before you submit your application.

If the original certificate is neither in English nor in French, submit both the certificate and the original copy of a translation prepared by an accredited translator with your application.

Thanks so very much!!
You're welcome :)

They sometimes request police certificates for states but usually only if there's something to be cleared up - take a look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

"Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

Yes, Applicants should provide a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) certificate with fingerprints. State certificates may also be requested. The Visa Office will advise you if state certificates are required in your case."

In your case, unless there's a line under "Principal Applicant: FBI," they are only requesting the FBI certificate (the text above - "countries or states" - is a form letter and they indicate below which specific police certificates are required).

If you are in the US, I would suggest using an FBI channeler if there is one conveniently available - see http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/fbi-approved-channelers and in parallel mailing a request to Virginia as an $18 insurance policy. We're still not 100% sure they'll take channelers reports since folks have received conflicting info but it would be much faster (days vs 2-3 months).

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kiri said:
Not sure the details on all the state stuff, but as far as I've understood it's just the FBI check, which does check all states. If more in depth checks are needed then they will ask for specific states. On my FBI check it specified that additional information about any entries were to be made with the state department in question if necessary.

I also wonder.. are they gonna push for me to do one for Canada? I didn't even think of that, but I've been in Canada a year and 5 days now with only a 3 week break in the middle. Stayed 1 day shy of 6 months then left for 3 weeks, came back and have been here 6 months and 4 days.
They usually run the Canadian one themselves and only ask for it if needed. No worries :)

Details @ http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

MsJoanne

Mar 22, 2012
OhCanadiana said:
You're welcome :)
Thank you again! I misread the instructions initially, so I got state background checks. 16-18 weeks to get the FBI stuff?? Ugh! And Seattle wants the docs within 60 days. This should be fun.

Kiri

Jan 31, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012 App. Return....: 30-8-2012 App. Refiled....: 02-01-2013
Doc's Request.
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
23-01-2013 Mississauga 10-05-2013 Ottawa
File Transfer...
19-02-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2013 (New XRay)
Med's Done....
11-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Decision Made 03-09-2013 without PPR
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
It's supposed to be 8 weeks for the FBI really - where did you see 16? I just had mine done a couple months ago and it took 7 weeks. Most people average 8-11 weeks.

Thanks OhCanadiana! Load off my mind.

GetUsHome

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
Yeah thank god. We are going to do the landing in October and then like every right minded Canadian spend the winter somewhere warm - right where we are :) and move up in the spring.

We have a bunch of work to get completed down here that will probably take another 6 months now we can finally move forward.

We are beside ourselves with happiness.

GOGOGO said:
Wow, you've got a decent amount of time to move! Sometimes CIC is nice. ;D

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
MsJoanne said:

If they requested FBI, they mean Federal. If they wanted state they would specify that. :)

And congrats to the latest PPR's!

krista2011

Oct 20, 2011
Does anyone know if you can land (with your belongings and car, etc. all listed on your B4) and then return to the USA and export/import your car on another trip? Or do you have to export/import the car on the initially crossing? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
One Year Ago Today, CIC received my PR application. It's an incredible day to mark, as I've been landed since January, have my own business, and no longer have to cross that blasted border every day to work in the US.

So much happened last year! I remember thinking this would take much less time than it eventually did.

Take heart, those still awaiting PPR. You will be celebrating soon!

Thanks again to all in this forum. I was a much calmer and sharper applicant because of you.

Good luck!

apstone

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-4-2012
File Transfer...
27-7-2012
Med's Done....
10-3-2012
MsJoanne said:
Thank you again! I misread the instructions initially, so I got state background checks. 16-18 weeks to get the FBI stuff?? Ugh! And Seattle wants the docs within 60 days. This should be fun.
Can't remember if you are a US citizen, but if so, you can use a channeler to get the FBI stuff a LOT more quickly. Only thing that you won't get with that is the apostille on the certificate. Double check with CIC to make sure you don't need one, but I used a channeler when I submitted my stuff, and I am sure it's ok. If you go to the FBI website, there are links to approved channelers

Cost an extra 30 bucks I think, but I had my report in hand 4 days after I mailed the fingerprints/application to the channeler.

For me, the time savings was well worth it. Needless to say, it's ridiculous that it takes 8-10 weeks for the FBI to get you a background check. I also had to get one from France, as I had lived there for a year. The document was FREE shipped to me from France, and arrived 4 days after I requested it via email application. I was shocked.

Good luck!

luckcy

Mar 7, 2012
I am in USA. I did my medical exam today. The DMP said he will send my IMM1017 to CIC which there is my photo on it. He told me again and again to save the copy of IMM1017 (green) which he gave it to me and Don't send it with my application. But IMM5491E #27 says I should send the original copy 2 of IMM1017. What should I do?
The IMM1017 which DMP gave me (green) doesn't have my photo on it. In the place of the photo there is a white tape with a stamp of a maple leaf and the number. The DMP did sign his name on it. But he didn't ask me to sign. Is that right?