+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
OhCanadiana said:
There's actually a third step, registering the car in Canada

The requirements vary by POE - and not all POE allow you to export a car in the US - so it really is important to look up what the requirements are for the specific port you will be exporting the vehicle at. You can find details at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ . I would call to double check.

You don't have to leave the car with the POE (in fact, usually you can't) - you just have to make sure they have the info they need available before you show up at the border, usually 72 hours business hours before you arrive at the POE to run the export process.

The three days the POEs ask for (either after receiving the original title or after receiving e-mailed/faxed info) is to run checks on the car including VIN checks and check the title to ensure the car's ownership is ok. AmericanInQuebec was lucky enough that they were willing to run the checks while she was there and they probably figured that it wasn't recently stolen in the US since she had just arrived from Canada, but you can't bank on them being so understanding, so if you make sure they have the info they need ahead of time you'll make the process smooth for yourself!

Not long at all. You just need to fill out a form and pay taxes (none if the car is on your B4). You also need to pay the RIV import fee - either at the border or you can do it after by phone or on their website.
The RIV manages the import process on the Canadian side:
- After you import the car with Canadian Customs at the border, you pay RIV the import fee which covers the process, import inspection at Canadian tire, registration as a legally imported vehicle, and sticker you place on the car. If you don't pay the fee at the border, you pay this fee by phone to the RIV or at their website. The fee is 195+taxes.
- The RIV will send you Form 2, which you take to Canadian Tire for the import inspection. If you include an e-mail on the form you fill out at Canadian customs, they will e-mail this form to you.
- You take Form 1 (from the border) and Form 2 to Canadian Tire and once you pass the import inspection, Candian Tire will stamp your forms and advise the RIV that you passed the inspection. You will need this to register your car with your province.
Tip - depending on your province and the year of your vehicle, it may make sense to get additional inspections you'll need to register the car at the same time at Canadian Tire (eg., emissions and safety tests for Ontario, which will be ~$100.)

In most provinces, yes, but only for a certain number of days.
Once you land you can use your COPR as confirmation of residency, if needed, to get your driver's licence. You may not even need to provide this to get your Canadian licence, though. (and it drove me nuts initially to see licence in the British spelling vs license in US spelling!)
Usually, Canadian insurers insure you based on your Canadian drivers' license.

For step 3, registering the car in your province, reach out to the Ministry of Transportation of the Province you are heading to to get the details depending on the year of your vehicle, etc.

Good luck!
First of all, thank you so much for taking pains to write out such a detailed reply! :)

Just couple of quick questions, please correct me if I am wrong.

It sounds like Export process will happen before I enter Canada ,on American side of POE and
Import(RIV) process will take place on other side of POE (i.e . in Canada). Looks like its safe to pay the RIV fee at the border as the online payment requires the code from the Customs Stamp on Form 1.

After I get Form 1 and Form 2 , I go to Canadian Tire anywhere in my Province and get the inspection done. How much time I have to complete this step? 30/45 days?

Once I am done with Canadian Tire, I can go for Province Registration, which should give me the permanent number plate?

I am really thankful to you again for such a great reply :)

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
computergeek said:
One other note on obtaining a driver's licence in Canada: get your driving record from your US state BEFORE you try.

In British Columbia, they required evidence that I'd had my US license for at least two years - but I'd renewed it within the past two years, so it wasn't obvious from the license itself. My license was issued by New Hampshire and THEY wouldn't issue a letter to ICBC (the licencing agency in BC) when it was requested. To get a letter stating that I'd had a NH license since 1995 I had to go IN PERSON to the state capitol and apply for it (I recall it was $15 to obtain.)

With that letter and my existing US license, getting my BC licence was a breeze. In fact, I just renewed my BC licence - good for five years this time around (two years the first time). And they required evidence of status (in my case a work permit still) to renew it.
Thanks for the tip!

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
astegenga said:
Yes, I had a pretty easy time of it in Ontario. They didn't require any additional documents other than my California DL but it had been (and was still) valid for more than 2 years. I did have to surrender the California license though. And they did allow me to put my married name on the Ontario DL because I had my marriage cert with me even though my CA DL still had my maiden name.
Sigh! since I am going to be in Ontario too, I guess it should be pretty easy too:). Did you need to wait to get PR card before getting the license or the stamp in a passport was sufficient? I heard it takes about a month at least to get the PR card and I cannot afford to wait that long to get the license.

thanks!

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
astegenga said:
Just to add to the insuring a driver/car dialogue:
My husband (canadian) was actually able to get drivers insurance for both of us and the insurance company insured me based on my US driving record which I had to get from the DMV and my previous insurer. I did not have an Ontario DL at the time but got one shortly after.

and on the car export process:
If you have the documents ahead of time, you do not leave your car in the US for 3 days but do double, triple, quadruple check this with the US border patrol!

We had (apparently) failed to export our canadian car (it had been the states for some time but never imported due to a student visa loophole) even though he had brought it back into Canada without issue and when we crossed the border from Canada to the US, they threatened to impound the car or charge us $500 fine unless we kept the car in the states for 72 hours to go through the export process. They would hear nothing of the student visa rule that allows a canadian student in California to bring in their vehicle without importing it (per CA DMV). It was not possible for us to stay in the US for 72 hours at that time so we ignored them and went back into Canada (again, no problem). Now we just rent a car if we need to cross the border.
Thanks for the insurance tip, but I am little bit confused here regarding the "loophole in student visa rule". I am on work visa in US and wondering if there are any restrictions on importing the car to Canada (My spouse is Canadian)? Wasnt your car originally in USA/ or didnt you export it legally from USA at the border? Why would they threaten to impound your car... :eek:

If you can shed some light on it, that would be great.

astegenga

Sep 7, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo / New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2011
AOR Received.
09-01-2012
File Transfer...
23-02-2012
Med's Done....
01-04-2011
Passport Req..
22-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
???
bloodyguitars said:
Sigh! since I am going to be in Ontario too, I guess it should be pretty easy too:). Did you need to wait to get PR card before getting the license or the stamp in a passport was sufficient? I heard it takes about a month at least to get the PR card and I cannot afford to wait that long to get the license.

thanks!
I still don't have PR card so you definitely don't need one to get a drivers license. I brought my US passport as a second form of ID but I don't think they even checked for a stamp. So no worries :)

bloodyguitars said:
Thanks for the insurance tip, but I am little bit confused here regarding the "loophole in student visa rule". I am on work visa in US and wondering if there are any restrictions on importing the car to Canada (My spouse is Canadian)? Wasnt your car originally in USA/ or didnt you export it legally from USA at the border? Why would they threaten to impound your car... :eek:

If you can shed some light on it, that would be great.
It was my husband's car that he bought in Ontario years ago. He then did a PhD in California and according to the DMV there, people on student visas in CA do not need to import their car in order to register it in the state (I guess they figure you will be leaving in 4-ish years anyway?). So he brought his Canadian car into California (no exporting/importing done at that point) and registered it at the CA DMV under this rule. When we moved back to Ontario last year, we drove the car back into Canada and it was "imported" by the canadian border patrol with a note saying that it was a canadian car returning to canada. So not a full import. The problem was when we took the same car back across the border into the US just for the day. At the US border, US Border Patrol asked why the car had never been exported from the US since it had been registered with the CA DMV. We tried to explain that it had never been imported into the US, just registered under this DMV law. I guess they didn't believe us so they started threatening to impound it or make us pay the fine unless we went through the export process. Canada couldn't have cared less about our car's export status from the US.

All this to say - if you have your export paperwork in order beforehand, you will avoid this. Just make sure you check everything with the US side.

astegenga

Sep 7, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo / New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2011
AOR Received.
09-01-2012
File Transfer...
23-02-2012
Med's Done....
01-04-2011
Passport Req..
22-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
???
awor said:
Your PR card will come under the name that is on your passport, so no. You'll need to get a new passport and send CIC a copy.
Thanks awor, I thought so.

Its quite expensive to get a new US passport just to change the name so I think I'll just stick with it until I need to renew it next year. Does anyone foresee my maiden name on my PR card causing problems in Canada? I would venture to guess that I can have the name on the PR card changed after the fact?

mumbles

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
bloodyguitars said:
First of all, thank you so much for taking pains to write out such a detailed reply! :)

Just couple of quick questions, please correct me if I am wrong.

It sounds like Export process will happen before I enter Canada ,on American side of POE and
Import(RIV) process will take place on other side of POE (i.e . in Canada). Looks like its safe to pay the RIV fee at the border as the online payment requires the code from the Customs Stamp on Form 1.

After I get Form 1 and Form 2 , I go to Canadian Tire anywhere in my Province and get the inspection done. How much time I have to complete this step? 30/45 days?

Once I am done with Canadian Tire, I can go for Province Registration, which should give me the permanent number plate?

I am really thankful to you again for such a great reply :)
Yes.... the export takes place on the US side...also...the export office isnt open 24/7 like all the other crossings...so you need to contact them and find out when they are open...When we crossed with ours and were looking for the info it was a recorded msg on the phone with hours and days available for export....We crossed into BC....just make sure you fax or email all the documents you need to send them 72 hours before hand....

The RIV fee....we were told we would need to pay this at the border but once we got to the border they did not want us to pay it...the canadian border officer asked us to go online to pay this and they stamped our form ...we then used the code they stamped on it to pay the fees online. ....you may , however, have to pay a A/c excise tax....not sure...we had to but we were not settled in canada yet so this may be different for you. the A/C tax was $100. I seem to remember that once you paid the RIV fee online they allowed you to print the form you needed to go to Canadian Tire...

as for the time to get the inspection done...i think you have 30 days....they will tell you for sure at the border. Keep in mind you will also have to get a provincial inspection done as well which was $115. Canadian tire will do this all at once. If your car fails the RIV inspection ...they give 30 days to correct the problem and you can go back to the same technician and he will re-inspect for free within that time period. Same for the provincial inspection. You will also have to pay a tire levy on each tire ...not much...

When you go to register abnd insure your car you will obviously need all this paperwork with you.

Hope this info helps :)

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
astegenga said:
I still don't have PR card so you definitely don't need one to get a drivers license. I brought my US passport as a second form of ID but I don't think they even checked for a stamp. So no worries :)

It was my husband's car that he bought in Ontario years ago. He then did a PhD in California and according to the DMV there, people on student visas in CA do not need to import their car in order to register it in the state (I guess they figure you will be leaving in 4-ish years anyway?). So he brought his Canadian car into California (no exporting/importing done at that point) and registered it at the CA DMV under this rule. When we moved back to Ontario last year, we drove the car back into Canada and it was "imported" by the canadian border patrol with a note saying that it was a canadian car returning to canada. So not a full import. The problem was when we took the same car back across the border into the US just for the day. At the US border, US Border Patrol asked why the car had never been exported from the US since it had been registered with the CA DMV. We tried to explain that it had never been imported into the US, just registered under this DMV law. I guess they didn't believe us so they started threatening to impound it or make us pay the fine unless we went through the export process. Canada couldn't have cared less about our car's export status from the US.

All this to say - if you have your export paperwork in order beforehand, you will avoid this. Just make sure you check everything with the US side.
Really sorry to know that you guys have to go through such a pain. Really pathetic and inefficient on their part,I must say.

I bought my car here in US and never been imported/exported before. I guess I will fax them everything one week in advance just to be on the safer side. Good to know that I don't have to wait for PR card to get my drivers license in Ontario.

Thank you for the info :)

mumbles

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
computergeek said:
One other note on obtaining a driver's licence in Canada: get your driving record from your US state BEFORE you try.

In British Columbia, they required evidence that I'd had my US license for at least two years - but I'd renewed it within the past two years, so it wasn't obvious from the license itself. My license was issued by New Hampshire and THEY wouldn't issue a letter to ICBC (the licencing agency in BC) when it was requested. To get a letter stating that I'd had a NH license since 1995 I had to go IN PERSON to the state capitol and apply for it (I recall it was $15 to obtain.)

With that letter and my existing US license, getting my BC licence was a breeze. In fact, I just renewed my BC licence - good for five years this time around (two years the first time). And they required evidence of status (in my case a work permit still) to renew it.
When i went into a local Drivers Service Center(BC) they informed me that it would be best if my husband had 10 years of Driving records...This would insure that they would not make him go through the new driver program....

mumbles

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
bloodyguitars said:
Congrats mumbles!!!That's a great news!
Thanks Bloodyguitars1! we are excited things are moving in a forward direction lol...so its seems anyways :)

mumbles

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
ALSO....just wanted to point out this fact again...The Canadian side DOES NOT care if you export the car before importing it into Canada.....BUT...if you DO NOT export the car and then try and drive the car from the Canadian side through to the US side....they could potentially fine you $5000. Its a very simple process to export and well worth the piece of mind....

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
mumbles said:
Yes.... the export takes place on the US side...also...the export office isnt open 24/7 like all the other crossings...so you need to contact them and find out when they are open...When we crossed with ours and were looking for the info it was a recorded msg on the phone with hours and days available for export....We crossed into BC....just make sure you fax or email all the documents you need to send them 72 hours before hand....

The RIV fee....we were told we would need to pay this at the border but once we got to the border they did not want us to pay it...the canadian border officer asked us to go online to pay this and they stamped our form ...we then used the code they stamped on it to pay the fees online. ....you may , however, have to pay a A/c excise tax....not sure...we had to but we were not settled in canada yet so this may be different for you. the A/C tax was $100. I seem to remember that once you paid the RIV fee online they allowed you to print the form you needed to go to Canadian Tire...

as for the time to get the inspection done...i think you have 30 days....they will tell you for sure at the border. Keep in mind you will also have to get a provincial inspection done as well which was $115. Canadian tire will do this all at once. If your car fails the RIV inspection ...they give 30 days to correct the problem and you can go back to the same technician and he will re-inspect for free within that time period. Same for the provincial inspection. You will also have to pay a tire levy on each tire ...not much...

When you go to register abnd insure your car you will obviously need all this paperwork with you.

Hope this info helps :)
Yes, that definitely makes things more clear.

Thanks a lot for the clarification and taking time to respond, I really appreciate it :).

I must add, this forum has been fantastic in terms of sharing the knowledge and helping each other, keep up the good work guys :)

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
mumbles said:
ALSO....just wanted to point out this fact again...The Canadian side DOES NOT care if you export the car before importing it into Canada.....BUT...if you DO NOT export the car and then try and drive the car from the Canadian side through to the US side....they could potentially fine you $5000. Its a very simple process to export and well worth the piece of mind....
Yes, I am definitely planning on exporting it first before importing. Can't afford to leave those required (read legal) boxes unchecked ;)

Thanks for the tip!

Rouge

Star Member
Sep 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo ---> NY Visa office 29/2/2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
NY Visa office 29/2/2012
Passport Req..
19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-03-2012
:-[ I feel down... It has been 6 months since I sent the application and I have not heard anything from Buffalo since my AOR almost 2 months ago. Even E-CAS still shows "application received" and hasn't changed since Nov. Guess I can't do much but wait.... :mad: sorry i'm just venting