+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension 2024

rmalik2

Star Member
Jun 11, 2024
Hey rmalik, did you get answer to this question? I'm in the same boat.
Yes, consider your study permit as it never got expired. You can study and work until the grades get out. But you still have to wait for your study permit extension application to be approved to apply for PGWP else if you apply on maintained status, you won’t be able to work until your PGWP is approved

Reactions: Kingkhokhar90

Preet_001

Feb 14, 2021
Hello guys,
quick question, When can you apply for study permit extension? like a month before expiration or 3 month? or anytime? cuz i need to apply for my coop work as well.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Good news! We received our approvals this week. As a reminder, we applied back in January. We called IRCC, not sure if that had anything to do with it... The agent only told us that our file was still waiting to be processed. Good luck!

Reactions: rmalik2 and Ocram

rmalik2

Star Member
Jun 11, 2024
Good news! We received our approvals this week. As a reminder, we applied back in January. We called IRCC, not sure if that had anything to do with it... The agent only told us that our file was still waiting to be processed. Good luck!
Congrats, that’s really good news! I guess the contact MP may have helped you guys! What was your filing date in Jan 2024?

Reactions: Geet7

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Congrats, that’s really good news! I guess the contact MP may have helped you guys! What was your filing date in Jan 2024?
Thank you! We applied almost by the end of January. Still, almost six full months of waiting. Now we are waiting for our physical permits to be delivered via mail. Good luck!

HelloLeo

Jul 22, 2024
Hello! I was wondering if anyone can give me advise. I applied for student permit extension and sowp extension in the IRCC portal instead of the IRCC Secure Portal. Should we submit a totally new one through IRCC Secure Portal? because the SOWP got rejected as it looks like it was treated as a totally new application.

HelloLeo

Jul 22, 2024
Hello! I was wondering if anyone can give me advise. I applied for student permit extension and sowp extension in the IRCC portal instead of the IRCC Secure Portal. Should we submit a totally new one through IRCC Secure Portal? because the SOWP got rejected as it looks like it was treated as a totally new application.
Just to add, Student Permit was approved but SOWP was rejected.

rmalik2

Star Member
Jun 11, 2024
Just to add, Student Permit was approved but SOWP was rejected.
Last I remember it is given on their official website for extension applications, to apply through IRCC Secure account portal and not through IRCC portal else the application may be rejected.

top_gun

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
Hello everyone,

First, I want to extend my gratitude to the wonderful people at Cohen for hosting this incredible forum!

Context: I completed my one-year postgraduate program at X College in May 2024 and returned to my home country in June 2024. My second program at Y College starts in September 2024. My Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is valid until September 30, 2024, and my study permit is also valid until September 30, 2024. I have applied for an extension of my study permit for the new program, but it is still being processed. I plan to return to Canada in August i.e next month and have some quick questions:

Queries regarding reentering Canada:

1. My TRV is valid until September 30. Is it acceptable to enter Canada with approximately a month remaining on my TRV?
  2. My old study permit is valid until September 30, and I am awaiting the extension for my new program. Is it permissible to reenter Canada with or without the extended study permit?
  3. Are there any other factors I need to consider, such as medical requirements or other documents, when reentering Canada?

1779x

May 30, 2024
Category........
STUDY
Hello everyone,

First, I want to extend my gratitude to the wonderful people at Cohen for hosting this incredible forum!

Context: I completed my one-year postgraduate program at X College in May 2024 and returned to my home country in June 2024. My second program at Y College starts in September 2024. My Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is valid until September 30, 2024, and my study permit is also valid until September 30, 2024. I have applied for an extension of my study permit for the new program, but it is still being processed. I plan to return to Canada in August i.e next month and have some quick questions:

Queries regarding reentering Canada:

1. My TRV is valid until September 30. Is it acceptable to enter Canada with approximately a month remaining on my TRV?
  2. My old study permit is valid until September 30, and I am awaiting the extension for my new program. Is it permissible to reenter Canada with or without the extended study permit?
  3. Are there any other factors I need to consider, such as medical requirements or other documents, when reentering Canada?
Hi,

I agree, this forum has been great in coordinating with others, thank you Cohen Immigration Law.

To answer your question,
1. You may be allowed to enter Canada as a student or as a visitor (It all depends on the CBSA Officer). Source: https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15 (I know it is for PGWP but would also be applicable for your case)

2. It is preferable to enter Canada with a new study permit, but as long as your current one is valid, you can enter.

3. No, you should be fine.

Main Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/travel-outside-canada.html

Reactions: top_gun

top_gun

Star Member
Mar 9, 2023
Hi,

I agree, this forum has been great in coordinating with others, thank you Cohen Immigration Law.

To answer your question,
1. You may be allowed to enter Canada as a student or as a visitor (It all depends on the CBSA Officer). Source: https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15 (I know it is for PGWP but would also be applicable for your case)

2. It is preferable to enter Canada with a new study permit, but as long as your current one is valid, you can enter.

3. No, you should be fine.

Main Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/travel-outside-canada.html
Hello Sir

Thank you so much for your response. I would just ask a quick return question and rest my case.

I applied my study permit extension, a few weeks after I left Canada. I did not realize that I will be technically applying outside Canada. But in my application, I have given my Canadian address and all the required documents. Do you think there will be an issue ? Appreciate!