ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
I guess AB will include some restrictions later on so people do not cheat the system :).

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
Within the context of AINP for H1B holders, is it possible to apply for a Work Permit/Visa once the PNP is approved in order to go to work in Alberta. Is only job offered required or LMO would also be needed?

BTW I am just checking PNP is still in process?

akk

Sep 2, 2008
I have being reading everything on this forum about the H1B in Alberta.
Few people talk about fees. I am not thinking about hiring any lawyer.
Is there any fees during the whole process?

Thanks

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
akk said:
I have being reading everything on this forum about the H1B in Alberta.
Few people talk about fees. I am not thinking about hiring any lawyer.
Is there any fees during the whole process?

Thanks
There are NO fees associated during the provincial nominee process, however there are fees during the federal process.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp

akk

Sep 2, 2008
Is the PNP enough to move and work in Alberta/Canada, right?

Why is the federal process needed?

I think I am still confused.

Thanks

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
Not sure if PNP alone will let you work/live in AB at least for H1B stream. You might get a temporarily work permit but you'll need the federal process to get permanent residence.
With PNP the permanent residence is fast tracked and you only need to present medical examinations, police certificates and proof of funds..

akk said:
Is the PNP enough to move and work in Alberta/Canada, right?

Why is the federal process needed?

I think I am still confused.

Thanks

newImmUser007

Sep 2, 2008
what do you mean PNP (Strategic Recruitment Stream) alone may not be good enough to work/live in AB?

I thought the whole process was to get a PR through the new program.

what does it do then? and how long does it take? are we better off applying through the Federal Process? Buffalo says it might take 18 months to get it approved. Should I be doing that instead?

Please enlighten!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The way it works with the H1B program in AB is that you apply to the PNP and they will fast forward you through to federal PR and that takes about 8 months or so I have heard, faster than applying as a FSW through Buffalo.

If you are going through AB PNP as a skilled and not as a H1B, you would have to first get a job offer and temporary work permit and then along with your employer apply to the PNP to be fast forwarded to PR.

olusolalekan

Jul 3, 2008
newImmUser007 ,

if you go through PNP, you don't need FSW. Perhaps you meant "the CIC stage". After getting the PNP certificate, you will then apply to CIC (Canadian embassy) cos the Federal government of canada controls immigration. The CIC will then prioritize your application under the PNP rule. To obtain PNP certificate from a province takes 2-4 months and to get the PR from the CIC takes between 4-6 months. So in total, it takes 6-10 months to complete the whole process via PNP. better and faster than the common FSW which takes 12-48 months! Under PNP, you don't even have to score any point since you would have been nominated by a Province.

Note that Alberta Strategic PNP stream is a type of PNP designed for those in US with H1 Visa and in occupation listed as "under pressure in Alberta". If you don't fall into that category, you must get a job offer (in most cases) before the Province will issue you a PNP certificate. Other PNP streams that do no require job offers includes, Alberta's family PNP stream and Manitoba's Community Support stream.

Good luck.

newImmUser007

Sep 2, 2008
thank you so much Olusolalekan.

that was what I thought when I learnt abt the new PNP program..the other users' comments threw me off.

I have yet another question...the H1B stamping on my passport is not current though my I-94 is(until 2010). I received the I94 when i renewed my H1 last year. is it advisable to submit the documents when my passport does not have current stamp?

pls advise.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
newImmUser007
I think the problem is that you thought that PNP alone would certify you and give you PR.
But PNP is just one part of the process, you still need Federal PR approved in order to work/live permanently in AB.

The outcome of PNP is just a nomination of the province and it is valid only for 6 months. If your do not apply for PR or your PR is denied then your PNP will not help you at all.

The only way you might be able to work/live in AB using PNP nomination without PR is if you apply for work permit/temporarily visa at the consulate. I guess you'll need a job offer at this point.

In Any case I apologize if my comments mislead you, Thanks to Leon and Olusolalekan who gave a very good explanation about the process.

Regards
newImmUser007 said:
thank you so much Olusolalekan.

that was what I thought when I learnt abt the new PNP program..the other users' comments threw me off.

I have yet another question...the H1B stamping on my passport is not current though my I-94 is(until 2010). I received the I94 when i renewed my H1 last year. is it advisable to submit the documents when my passport does not have current stamp?

pls advise.

newceo

Star Member
Aug 7, 2008
Got a mail from Gingie that they will be sending me the package for applying for AINP. My question is should I wait for the package and then apply for FSW or apply for FSW and then send notification to Buffalo office once I receive the PNP ?

Which is the best option ?

olusolalekan

Jul 3, 2008
newImmUser007

Please note that the visa stamp is a travel document and not a valid proof of your status in the US. Your I-94 and I-797 (Notice of Approval) is the document that shows your legal status in the US. More than half of legal immigrants in the US have expired visa but valid status. The fact that you have a valid H1B status till 2010 is what matters and the I-94 and I-797(they sent you this when they approved your H1B status) is what shows your legal status. THE VISA IS A TRAVEL DOCUMENT. The visa is like a key, if you don't get out of your house, you don't need your key (visa). If you don't get out of the US, you do not need a visa and you can still be legal.

So the main thing for you is to make sure your skills are listed as "occupation under pressure in Alberta", which is the critical condition besides the H1B status.

Good luck and let us know if you need firther clarifications.

olusolalekan