+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

najo

Nov 27, 2014
EmiliD. said:
Hi Najo

You have an august applicant outline 2014 topic too,the most of those applicants had to resend the updated form. We subbmited ours on Sept 26, and got SA on Nov 12th before that didnt heard anything from them. In total we waited for 86 days to get SA.
Hi EmiliD,

Thank you for responding. I submitted my updated form on Oct 3, still waiting for my SA! I'll keep waiting...Thanks again!

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
msbigshot said:
We called 62 times before we got someone.... Be persistent, we heard that the VO sending out notifications is backed up and I heard someone else on the forum was told they received SA via phone.
What VO isn't backed up?

EmiliD.

Star Member
Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Doc's Request.
17-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014 ( SA )
File Transfer...
03-12-2014 ( asked Vienna via e-mail )
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-08-2014
Passport Req..
24-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2015
LANDED..........
14-03-2015
najo said:
Hi EmiliD,

Thank you for responding. I submitted my updated form on Oct 3, still waiting for my SA! I'll keep waiting...Thanks again!
You're welcome :) And good luck :)

ms.m

Star Member
Sep 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2014
AOR Received.
06-03-2015
File Transfer...
16-03-2015
Med's Done....
13-11-2014/ updated by cic march 19 ,2015
What SA stands for?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012

zbaby

Nov 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO/Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Med's Done....
25-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-09-2015
IvanP said:
If you've been married a long time and have kids, you won't need a lot of photos. We got married in 1997 and have two kids, so we only submitted 10, although we actually had fun going through all of our photos to pick them. If your relationship is newer, you'll want to show more, and I think photos of you and your spouse with in-laws (during holiday or family gatherings, not just at your wedding) tend to show legitimacy in a way that vacation photos won't.

Hi, thanks for the helpful reply, we are newly married a month before, yes we do have all pictures of every moment with families and honeymoon etc. but we don't have any other document showing the same address as he has been in canada and i am in UAE, we do have only hotels reservations documents showing our honeymoon period, exit entry on our passports and photos only. Does it really work to proof that we are in actual relationship? what does more required to make our file strong?

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
zbaby said:
Hi, thanks for the helpful reply, we are newly married a month before, yes we do have all pictures of every moment with families and honeymoon etc. but we don't have any other document showing the same address as he has been in canada and i am in UAE, we do have only hotels reservations documents showing our honeymoon period, exit entry on our passports and photos only. Does it really work to proof that we are in actual relationship? what does more required to make our file strong?
Then they're going to be more interested in how and when you met, when you decided to get married, how much time you spent together, whether you lived in the same city for a period, etc. Lots of people provide phone bills and Skype or Gmail chat records. If you got married fairly quickly after you met, they'll probably look more closely, but getting married quickly doesn't mean there's anything illegitimate or suspect about your relationship, it just means you don't necessarily have enough documentation to satisfy your VO.

So, for newer couples - especially if you haven't spent a long time in each other's physical presence - CIC has less information because you have less information to provide when you file your application. This isn't anybody's fault, it's just reality. This means the good folks at CIC (just a hint of sarcasm here) are more likely to ask for more information from you later when they finally look at your application. One thing you can do to smooth this process is to anticipate the moment when CIC says "please provide evidence of your continuing relationship." If you keep a file to collect this documentation while your application is pending, it will be quick and easy to respond with a big pile of documentation showing you are for real. Tickets showing visits, chat logs, more photos, postal receipts from gifts you've sent each other during the wait, a receipt from a flower shop showing that one of you sent flowers to the other on a birthday or whatever - all the same stuff you submitted the first time around. The document collection process could be a nice way, for you as a young couple, to think of lots of ways to do nice things for each other, too. 8)

This applies to any aspect of your application where you struggled to put together enough information - you can anticipate CIC's next move and continue to collect documentation to reduce delays when you get a request for more information.

In my family's situation, we knew that the weak link in our application was my proof of intent to reside here because, as a Canadian citizen born outside of Canada who had never before resided in Canada, I had no ties to the city we'd chosen to move to, and only a few distant relatives in other parts of Canada. We were just fed up with the rat race in the US, wanted a change, and really liked (and now love!) Montreal. Because applications take forever to process, we weren't about to lease an apartment in 2012 for a move we expected to make 9 or 10 months later, so we really had nothing to show them other than a few emails with friends about our plans. So, after submitting our application in September 2012, during the winter and spring of 2013 before we expected the COPRs for my family, I looked for work and came up here for interviews, I opened a bank account in Canada and transferred money to it, and in May 2013 we both came to find an apartment in Montreal and we signed a lease starting in July and paid for the first month. Having the apartment lined up made it possible to know where our kids would go to school, so we could provide communications about that, too. And after that request I actually moved half of our stuff to the apartment before we got the COPRs, so I continued to collect more documentation (citizens get the same forms at customs when they move to Canada that PRs get) even after they requested more proof from us.

So, while some might consider this approach to be very OCD, the point is that if you keep in mind that there's a good likelihood that CIC might ask you for more info or documentation for any aspect of your application, you can make that moment easier and, hopefully, minimize delays if you're ready to respond quickly with a thorough stack of documents.

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
how do i add stats in left hand side to show my timeline. i just recently got my copr. processing was 5 months 3 weeks, outland through kenya, nairobi VO

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
chipolopolo said:
how do i add stats in left hand side to show my timeline. i just recently got my copr. processing was 5 months 3 weeks, outland through kenya, nairobi VO

Go to your profile, which you will find at the top of the page. Click add details :)

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
taffy7 said:
Go to your profile, which you will find at the top of the page. Click add details :)
thanks alot taffy7

pratik17

Nov 27, 2014
I sent an application for my spouse,received on October 22,2014.I haven't herd anything after that,is anybody there in the same boat?........i am planning to apply for a tourist visa for my spouse? what are the chances??? any idea guys???????Should i apply right now or after getting file number? Is there any difference?

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
IvanP said:
Then they're going to be more interested in how and when you met, when you decided to get married, how much time you spent together, whether you lived in the same city for a period, etc. Lots of people provide phone bills and Skype or Gmail chat records. If you got married fairly quickly after you met, they'll probably look more closely, but getting married quickly doesn't mean there's anything illegitimate or suspect about your relationship, it just means you don't necessarily have enough documentation to satisfy your VO.

So, for newer couples - especially if you haven't spent a long time in each other's physical presence - CIC has less information because you have less information to provide when you file your application. This isn't anybody's fault, it's just reality. This means the good folks at CIC (just a hint of sarcasm here) are more likely to ask for more information from you later when they finally look at your application. One thing you can do to smooth this process is to anticipate the moment when CIC says "please provide evidence of your continuing relationship." If you keep a file to collect this documentation while your application is pending, it will be quick and easy to respond with a big pile of documentation showing you are for real. Tickets showing visits, chat logs, more photos, postal receipts from gifts you've sent each other during the wait, a receipt from a flower shop showing that one of you sent flowers to the other on a birthday or whatever - all the same stuff you submitted the first time around. The document collection process could be a nice way, for you as a young couple, to think of lots of ways to do nice things for each other, too. 8)

This applies to any aspect of your application where you struggled to put together enough information - you can anticipate CIC's next move and continue to collect documentation to reduce delays when you get a request for more information.

In my family's situation, we knew that the weak link in our application was my proof of intent to reside here because, as a Canadian citizen born outside of Canada who had never before resided in Canada, I had no ties to the city we'd chosen to move to, and only a few distant relatives in other parts of Canada. We were just fed up with the rat race in the US, wanted a change, and really liked (and now love!) Montreal. Because applications take forever to process, we weren't about to lease an apartment in 2012 for a move we expected to make 9 or 10 months later, so we really had nothing to show them other than a few emails with friends about our plans. So, after submitting our application in September 2012, during the winter and spring of 2013 before we expected the COPRs for my family, I looked for work and came up here for interviews, I opened a bank account in Canada and transferred money to it, and in May 2013 we both came to find an apartment in Montreal and we signed a lease starting in July and paid for the first month. Having the apartment lined up made it possible to know where our kids would go to school, so we could provide communications about that, too. And after that request I actually moved half of our stuff to the apartment before we got the COPRs, so I continued to collect more documentation (citizens get the same forms at customs when they move to Canada that PRs get) even after they requested more proof from us.

So, while some might consider this approach to be very OCD, the point is that if you keep in mind that there's a good likelihood that CIC might ask you for more info or documentation for any aspect of your application, you can make that moment easier and, hopefully, minimize delays if you're ready to respond quickly with a thorough stack of documents.
Ivan - when you mean newer couples would you consider newlyweds in that category?

I am just curious, I don't think we will be asked for more proof but I haven't really been saving anything lol

My husband and I have been together since 2009. I sent in everything from 2009 until 2014. But we only have been married 6 months.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Mariac819 said:
Ivan - when you mean newer couples would you consider newlyweds in that category?

I am just curious, I don't think we will be asked for more proof but I haven't really been saving anything lol

My husband and I have been together since 2009. I sent in everything from 2009 until 2014. But we only have been married 6 months.
I meant if you met in the last six months (or weeks!).

MysticMidnight

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
AOR Received.
SA 27-08-2014
Med's Request
premedical
Med's Done....
14-12-2013
Passport Req..
02-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 15-12-2014 COPR recieved: 26-12-2014
LANDED..........
04-1-2015
pratik17 said:
I sent an application for my spouse,received on October 22,2014.I haven't herd anything after that,is anybody there in the same boat?........i am planning to apply for a tourist visa for my spouse? what are the chances??? any idea guys???????Should i apply right now or after getting file number? Is there any difference?
As far as not having heard anything it is very normal to not hear anything until you get the approval to sponsor your spouse.

As for the tourist visa I'm not really sure. I'm from a visa-exempt country, so it's not something I'm familiar with. Perhaps one of the more senior members can be of more help with that.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
IvanP said:
I meant if you met in the last six months (or weeks!).
Hmmm... yeah that makes sense. :)