+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Everyone,
I am a naturalized Canadian Citizen who have been living outside Canada for the last 15 years. I have recently gotten married and wish to return to Canada with my spouse. I thought of applying for spousal sponsorship but because of Covid-19 the processing time is uncertain and I plan on moving within the next 9-11 months. I have recently seen an article where spousal applicants can now apply for a temporary resident visa. Does that apply to all applicants or only ones whose applications are taking longer than 12 months to process? My husband is enrolled in SFU for distance learning for which he cannot apply for a student visa. Is there any way for us to move to Canada sooner?
So separate points:
-As a Canadian, you can move at any time (of course).
-yes, it may take a while. Quite possibly longer than 9-11 months.
-assume your spouse is not from a visa waiver country.
-Yes, can apply for a TRV. It applies to any applicant. Or indeed any person. There's no limit to only those for whom it's taking more than 12 months.
-Applying does not mean you will get it.
-If granted TRV your spouse would not be able to work.
-If your spouse is granted a TRV, you could both go to Canada and apply 'inland'. Inland applicants are expected to remain in Canada during the process.
-If not granted, you'd have to apply outland (PR is resident abroad). (Can apply 'outland' from within Canada as well - there are some minor differences, eg an inland applicant is expected to remain in Canada).

-If you apply before you return as a citizen, you will have to show some evidence of 'intent to return.' Read the instructions to get some idea of what kind of evidence is expected. If you have been out of canada 15 years and have few ties, that may require some effort (and may be asked for more information later). (Returning to Canada during the process and settling would obviously help answer that part).

-Do not know enough details but you could consider: applying for TRV soonest on basis that spouse will accompany you for trip(s) home. And that also would be helpful for his studies in Canada even if online. If TRV is granted, you could decide whether to apply inland or outland, and at least would have option of potentially travelling together to Canada. (Note ability for spouse to work and health insurance implications)

-If TRV is not granted, well, you're where you are now - you'd apply outland and as a canadian intending to return.

You'll note that often being married to a Canadian lowers chances of getting TRV. It may be slightly different for Canadians who are living abroad (somewhat - not a guarantee either). Depends on things like degree of establishment of spouse in home country and lots of other factors.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Everyone,
I am a naturalized Canadian Citizen who have been living outside Canada for the last 15 years. I have recently gotten married and wish to return to Canada with my spouse. I thought of applying for spousal sponsorship but because of Covid-19 the processing time is uncertain and I plan on moving within the next 9-11 months. I have recently seen an article where spousal applicants can now apply for a temporary resident visa. Does that apply to all applicants or only ones whose applications are taking longer than 12 months to process? My husband is enrolled in SFU for distance learning for which he cannot apply for a student visa. Is there any way for us to move to Canada sooner?
To add to my previous: you're clearly just starting to get acquainted with the types of sponsorship and the ins and outs. Start by downloading the instructions and forms and collecting information and when things are not clear, read the forums here.

You've asked very broad questions that show this is new to you - nothing wrong with that, but start by getting the forms, reading up on things here, asking questions, and collecting information.

You should also read the TRV-related forums and look at the process and issues related to that. I think it will be in your interests to apply for TRV sooner - before you apply for sponsorship - but not certain because you recently got married.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In my letter, I explain that my Russian Temporary residency is expiring, and that I won't renew it. I point them to the included notarized/translated copy of my passport, which shows that my residency is expiring. I also mention that we waited to apply now, as the 12-month window lines up perfectly with the expiration of my visa.

We have money in a Russian USD bank account. Would I be better to transfer this money to a Canadian account? I am not in Canada, so getting a stamped bank statement isn't possible, all I could provide would be a screenshot of my online account.

What other documents can I include, while living in Russia, that can serve as proof I will return?
There are multiple threads on this you can look into. Showing evidence of the main prerequisites - employment (for both of you, credientials, housing, other thigns of importance like actually moving - and ties to Canada will help. But I'd also suggest submitting your application sooner rather than later and continuing to prepare and collect evidence in the event that you are asked later for more information. As you plan you will get more ideas about the things

You can and should be prepared for possibility even if not ideal that you return first and your spouse join later (ie you will be separated for some time). You can also continue to apply for TRV for spouse - might get rejected but still worth trying in my view.

Stephie@31

Aug 26, 2019
Hi, is it allowed to sponsor my spouse to come here in Canada if I am only under PR status? Thanks
I believe as long as you’re a legal permanent resident you can sponsor your wife. You should check out the sponsor’s eligibility first to make sure you’ll be qualified.

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
We have money in a Russian USD bank account. Would I be better to transfer this money to a Canadian account? I am not in Canada, so getting a stamped bank statement isn't possible, all I could provide would be a screenshot of my online account.
For what it's worth, we are in the USA and my wife is my sponsor (with Canadian citizenship). Even long before my PR application we set up a large value Canadian bank account from within the US. It was quite a nuisance to set up the account as being non-residents; most banks would not deal with this situation. But Oaken Bank (oaken.com) accepts account applications from outside countries. This might be useful for your needs. It is really easy to work using their website. They did require to send documents by postal mail, which might take a long time back and forth for some countries.

kushsunny

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
My finance is travelling to Canada in July/Aug. from India (with travel exemptions to get married with me). When she will land her visitor visa will be valid for 4 months. my questions are below. I am a Canadian PR.

1) can we apply her spouse PR and Open Work Permit after marriage if her visitor visa is valid for only 4 months?
2) along with spouse PR and OWP can I apply her new visitor visa?

your quick response will be highly appreciated.

navn47

Jul 27, 2019
Hi Forum,

Did anybody know how long it usually takes to respond to a Spouse sponsorship visa Outland? Also curious to know about the timeline for subsequent process? Thanks for response in advance

ld16

Star Member
May 5, 2021
good morning guys,
i just got my spoenrship approval latter saying that SA is approved and we are going to trnafer your file but it does not say where.
i am in canada and my wife is in india.

can you please help me in this

THANK YOU!!!!

Gagan102

Mar 31, 2021
Hi
I have some questions regarding Spousal Visa Application. Can anyone give me a wise advice about these points :

1. I want to know that while applying for the Spousal Visa do we need to give the client ID which was generated when that person had applied for Study Visa earlier but the Application had been rejected ?

2. Do we need to give all the Experience letters and college degrees of both husband and wife ?

3. The invitation card address is more detailed than the address provided on the Passport. Do we need to change the invitation card address as given on the passport or we can use it as such without any updation ?

Thankyou

pat40

Jan 21, 2020
good morning guys,
i just got my spoenrship approval latter saying that SA is approved and we are going to trnafer your file but it does not say where.
i am in canada and my wife is in india.

can you please help me in this

THANK YOU!!!!
CPC - Ottawa

Reactions: ld16

pat40

Jan 21, 2020
Hi
I have some questions regarding Spousal Visa Application. Can anyone give me a wise advice about these points :

1. I want to know that while applying for the Spousal Visa do we need to give the client ID which was generated when that person had applied for Study Visa earlier but the Application had been rejected ?

2. Do we need to give all the Experience letters and college degrees of both husband and wife ?

3. The invitation card address is more detailed than the address provided on the Passport. Do we need to change the invitation card address as given on the passport or we can use it as such without any updation ?

Thankyou
1. If you have UCI then mention that on forms.
2. you need to mention work experience and study that you and your spouse had on specific forms. No need to give formal letter for work experience and college degree certificate for PA. However, sponsor need to give Current job letter from your employer.
3. no need to change if basically they are the same address.

Gagan102

Mar 31, 2021
1. If you have UCI then mention that on forms.
2. you need to mention work experience and study that you and your spouse had on specific forms. No need to give formal letter for work experience and college degree certificate for PA. However, sponsor need to give Current job letter from your employer.
3. no need to change if basically they are the same address.
Thank you very much