+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

HopefulLegend

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Anyone have any insight into Canada's VACs closing in India, and how this impacts biometric collection? Will outland applications be put on hold for the meantime? Really worried...

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Anyone have any insight into Canada's VACs closing in India, and how this impacts biometric collection? Will outland applications be put on hold for the meantime? Really worried...
It totally stops bio collection until VFS re-opens. IRCC might continue with processing other aspects of the application, hard to say. Biometrics is not a pass or fail item so could be done at any time. No point worrying, nothing you can do about it. As the situation in India slows down, VFS will re-open. Be patient.

Reactions: armoured

mnorr

Mar 18, 2021
Thank you for your help! I read several threads that said that outland sponsorship applicants must submit their biometrics in any country but Canada. I hope that is not right!
Hey there! Wondering if you had any success with this? Thanks!

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
On form 5533, where I need to prove my intent to return to Canada, I plan to include this proof

- A letter explaining my need to return to Canada. I Mention that my residency is expiring in July 2022, and I won't renew. I make note that we are applying now, so that the expected 12 month timeline will match up with this expiry. It also talks briefly about our budget, housing plans, family knowledge of our desire to return, and local immigrant/job search services we know of that can help us when we arrive.
- Facebook chat screenshots with me (sponsor) talking to my parents about wanting to move back, and speaking about housing. One chat is from 2018, and another is from July 2020 (I might print another more recent chat to include as well).
- Apartment searches, showing places in our budget
- Job searches showing possible jobs for myself.

Is there anything else I should include, or should this be enough?

And regarding the same form, but page 5, we need to prove that we can support ourselves. The proof I have for this is...

- A letter explaining a detailed budget breakdown of our expected expenses. A job plan, with expected salaries, that will fit with our budget. Showing that we have savings to last us the first 5-8 months, if neither of us can find a job, We mention that we have been offered a place to live while we get settled in Canada.
- A bank account sheet showing $6000 USD (which is half of our planned settlement budget)

Will this be enough proof?

Last edited:

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
This may not be enough.
If you get an additional document request, during final stage processing, haul yourself back to Canada asap and start gathering proof of residence (bills, lease, pay stubs, etc)
Ircc has set the bar really high for spousal category...its almost draconian.

Last edited:

samola10

Jan 17, 2016
Lagos
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra Ghana
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
23-11-2015
Doc's Request.
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
06-04-2016
Med's Request
29-11-2016 done re-medical and will be sent to accra by doctor
Med's Done....
24-07-2015, medical now confirmed passed on 22-04-2016. Thank God, 07-10-2016 schedule A, additional family information, police certificate Nigeria nd Uk nd kids medicals requested nd all submitted
Interview........
not my portion IJN, on the 05/01/2017 eCas show decision made... Thank God, journey almost completed.
Passport Req..
soon
Good day my people,
How are you all doing???
Sorry for my not been here in long time..
I pray all go well with everyone in Jesus name...
Amen

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
This may not be enough.
If you get an additional document request, during final stage processing, haul yourself back to Canada asap and start gathering proof of residence (bills, lease, pay stubs, etc)
Ircc has set the bar really high for spousal category...its almost draconian.
I find your reply to razor787 very interesting. I wonder if you could elaborate on the "high bar" for spousal (is this for Outland only? or Inland as well?) and your recommendation that razor get back to Canada "early" to establish current residence.

Our own situation (my Canadian wife/sponsor and myself as PR applicant) is: have lived in the US since we got married 20+ years ago. We wrote a letter included in my PR application describing that sponsor would return to Canada...explaining in detail how it made no sense for her to remain in the US whilst I moved to Canada as PR. Letter was nicely phrased, with more info, but that's what it came down to.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
I find your reply to razor787 very interesting. I wonder if you could elaborate on the "high bar" for spousal (is this for Outland only? or Inland as well?) and your recommendation that razor get back to Canada "early" to establish current residence.

Our own situation (my Canadian wife/sponsor and myself as PR applicant) is: have lived in the US since we got married 20+ years ago. We wrote a letter included in my PR application describing that sponsor would return to Canada...explaining in detail how it made no sense for her to remain in the US whilst I moved to Canada as PR. Letter was nicely phrased, with more info, but that's what it came down to.
Thanks
Just reading from online immigration content and comparing my own experience from 20 years ago, it is abundantly clear that ircc has tightened its noose for the spousal category, while lowering the bar for work visas.
Therefore, simply "a letter of explanation" as to why staying in spouse country will not make sense - wont cut it anymore.
and yes its for all types of apps, Ive seen Inland stories going into appeal as well.
Do not underestimate the process. Ircc makes it look easy like provide max 20 photos and few pages of chats, there is no way 10 photos are going to cut it....where in reality you need to send 100 photos and 1000 pages of chats...Additional dfocument request during the process is extremely common because ircc asks for more proofs.
There are stories here people going in for interviews with photo ALBUMS.
There was a guy here few months back living with wife in China so ircc demanded proof thru the roof of his intent to return.
- letter of resignation for both spouses
- job offers in canada
-rental agreement for a place in Canada
- proof funds in Canadian bank account
-proof selling off assets abroad

This list isnt exhaustive, ircc can come up with any wild demand however unreasonable it may be.
-and worst of all, even if u do all that, ircc does not guarantee anything and u can become homeless and destitute in a foreign land

Last edited:

Sharif4386

Oct 24, 2020
Hello Everyone,

So for spousal sponsorship, London VO asked me to send them some additional documents e.g. photos, confirmation of communications, forms etc. I sent all the requested data to -LDNIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca- email address. Can someone please let me know if I did it right?

Thanks Friends

zebamahmud19

May 22, 2021
Hello Everyone,
I am a naturalized Canadian Citizen who have been living outside Canada for the last 15 years. I have recently gotten married and wish to return to Canada with my spouse. I thought of applying for spousal sponsorship but because of Covid-19 the processing time is uncertain and I plan on moving within the next 9-11 months. I have recently seen an article where spousal applicants can now apply for a temporary resident visa. Does that apply to all applicants or only ones whose applications are taking longer than 12 months to process? My husband is enrolled in SFU for distance learning for which he cannot apply for a student visa. Is there any way for us to move to Canada sooner?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Hello Everyone,
I am a naturalized Canadian Citizen who have been living outside Canada for the last 15 years. I have recently gotten married and wish to return to Canada with my spouse. I thought of applying for spousal sponsorship but because of Covid-19 the processing time is uncertain and I plan on moving within the next 9-11 months. I have recently seen an article where spousal applicants can now apply for a temporary resident visa. Does that apply to all applicants or only ones whose applications are taking longer than 12 months to process? My husband is enrolled in SFU for distance learning for which he cannot apply for a student visa. Is there any way for us to move to Canada sooner?
The road is long and hard. Very difficult to prove intent to return after 15 years, unless you have a job offer or other serious proof or return without your spouse first.
This is because ircc views you as established in your country of residence.

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
Thanks
Just reading from online immigration content and comparing my own experience from 20 years ago, it is abundantly clear that ircc has tightened its noose for the spousal category, while lowering the bar for work visas.
Therefore, simply "a letter of explanation" as to why staying in spouse country will not make sense - wont cut it anymore.
and yes its for all types of apps, Ive seen Inland stories going into appeal as well.
Do not underestimate the process. Ircc makes it look easy like provide max 20 photos and few pages of chats, there is no way 10 photos are going to cut it....where in reality you need to send 100 photos and 1000 pages of chats...Additional dfocument request during the process is extremely common because ircc asks for more proofs.
There are stories here people going in for interviews with photo ALBUMS.
There was a guy here few months back living with wife in China so ircc demanded proof thru the roof of his intent to return.
- letter of resignation for both spouses
- job offers in canada
-rental agreement for a place in Canada
- proof funds in Canadian bank account
-proof selling off assets abroad

This list isnt exhaustive, ircc can come up with any wild demand however unreasonable it may be.
-and worst of all, even if u do all that, ircc does not guarantee anything and u can become homeless and destitute in a foreign land
In my letter, I explain that my Russian Temporary residency is expiring, and that I won't renew it. I point them to the included notarized/translated copy of my passport, which shows that my residency is expiring. I also mention that we waited to apply now, as the 12-month window lines up perfectly with the expiration of my visa.

We have money in a Russian USD bank account. Would I be better to transfer this money to a Canadian account? I am not in Canada, so getting a stamped bank statement isn't possible, all I could provide would be a screenshot of my online account.

What other documents can I include, while living in Russia, that can serve as proof I will return?