+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
Ok wait, so now I'm confused :'( :p Lucky Rain said my wife has to land in Canada before the medical expires. Do you mean her medical check for applying for a PR visa? If she gets the medical check done before we apply for the PR visa, it will expire long before the Visa is even issued. Medicals only last about 2 months, but the process will take almost a year!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
zmikers said:
Ok wait, so now I'm confused :'( :p Lucky Rain said my wife has to land in Canada before the medical expires. Do you mean her medical check for applying for a PR visa? If she gets the medical check done before we apply for the PR visa, it will expire long before the Visa is even issued. Medicals only last about 2 months, but the process will take almost a year!
Medicals are valid for a year.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The medicals are valid for a year and if they see that the medicals will expire before they are at the point of issuing the visa, they will ask you to repeat the medicals.

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
Leon said:
The medicals are valid for a year and if they see that the medicals will expire before they are at the point of issuing the visa, they will ask you to repeat the medicals.
Ok, but here in Taiwan the process of applying could take up to 19 months, according to their website! So if the medical is done before the application, does a second medical need to be done before we move after receiving the PR visa?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
zmikers said:
Ok, but here in Taiwan the process of applying could take up to 19 months, according to their website! So if the medical is done before the application, does a second medical need to be done before we move after receiving the PR visa?
You will be requested to do a new medical in order for your PR visa to be issued, if the one submitted with your application is more than a year past. A PR visa cannot be issued without a valid medical.

dragonele

Feb 26, 2012
I hope I'm posting in the right place....I'm so frustrated I feel like crying!
Here's my problem:

I'm in the middle of the paperwork for sponsoring my Italian husband. We live in Italy with our 2 kids (who are already Canadian citizens). We would like to move back to Canada in time for the new school year, so September 2012...which is 6 months away. But I just read that Italy's processing time is 11 months!!!
Now what?! The crisis here has made it impossible for us to stay and I don't want to pull the kids out of school in the middle of next year....what are our choices?? Can we move WHILE the paperwork is in progress if we decied to continue to apply through Rome?
Can my husband come to Canada and then do the sponsorship papers from there? What would you guys recommend? What are our other options??
Please help! :-[

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dragonele said:
I hope I'm posting in the right place....I'm so frustrated I feel like crying!
Here's my problem:

I'm in the middle of the paperwork for sponsoring my Italian husband. We live in Italy with our 2 kids (who are already Canadian citizens). We would like to move back to Canada in time for the new school year, so September 2012...which is 6 months away. But I just read that Italy's processing time is 11 months!!!
Now what?! The crisis here has made it impossible for us to stay and I don't want to pull the kids out of school in the middle of next year....what are our choices?? Can we move WHILE the paperwork is in progress if we decied to continue to apply through Rome?
Can my husband come to Canada and then do the sponsorship papers from there? What would you guys recommend? What are our other options??
Please help! :-[
No crying now, it is not that bad. The 11 months would be the 80% number so if your application is not complicated you will most likely be in the faster 50% and it should take less time than that. Most cases that take long do so because immigration is worried that the relationship is not genuine but married with two kids I doubt it will even cross their mind.

Your husband can not officially move to Canada until he gets his PR, however, there is nothing that stops him from "visiting" Canada with you as you move with your Canadian children. As an Italian, he does not need a visit visa and he can stay in Canada for up to 6 months without the need to extend his visitor status. He will however not be able to work until he gets his PR.

My advise, apply outland through Rome now. Show plans to move to Canada, job offer if you have one, plans where to live, where your kids will go to school, support letters from relatives who will help you get settled etc. etc. If he doesn't have his PR visa by the time you want to move, let him go with you as a visitor. He can take some short courses to pass the time while he waits for his PR visa. Once he gets his PR visa, he goes to the border and gets his PR status and then he can work.

canadiancitizen

Feb 3, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10-2011
Doc's Request.
July 8, 2011
Med's Done....
April-26-2011
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
Dinto said:
Hello Canadian Citizen:

Thanks for your comments very helpful.... is it hard to get a multiple entry visa? and we will not be returning to Canada together does this make a difference? do we get married before or after the multiple entry visa is granted?

thanks so much for your help..
Hi Dinto...it took two weeks for my husband to get it... if you marry her in SA, then you need to invite her by writing a letter, in our case we invite my husband to visit us as a friend, then he came proposed to me in Canada, and I went to SA to marry... I can only tell you that you cannot lie, or make things look like dual intent, that might cause problems for you... I would ask Leon from this site, to tell you the best strategy... I can only help you with my own experience... everybody is a different case... to me, it was so easy to enter with him married... but for her to come to CA unmarried I dont know... sorry

figgy

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
24-09-2012
File Transfer...
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
23-06-2012
Passport Req..
10-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2013
LANDED..........
12-01-2013
my boyfriend had his UK and Australian police checks done in November 2011 there is no expiry date on the checks. we are going to be sending in his PR application in march but I have heard rumours that the police checks only last 3 months!??! is this true? it took about 3 months just to get both the checks done!!! :'(

we are going to send the ones we have and if they ask for newer ones then we will cross that bridge later i guess!

any advice?

thanks!

c_farah

Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2013
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2013
LANDED..........
07-10-2013
All,

I'm putting together my application package for myself and my fiancee. I'm wondering just how much proof the gov't needs from us to show that we're in a relationship. We're going to send the following:

a) Pictures of us together - How many should I send? We easily have over 500 together
b) Wedding certificate + pictures (we're going to do a small wedding when she arrives in Canada to get this application finished)
c) Phone bills - I'm wondering just how far back I need to go. I think I only have a year's worth of phone bills, she might have more. We've been together roughly 3 years.
d) Proof of joint bank accounts
e) Airline tickets / boarding passes from travelling to see each other

Will that do? How much more proof do I need to collect? Do I need any letters or anything from others that can vouch for our relationship?

Also - this may be the silliest question - I'm not sure yet whether she's going to fly directly into Canada, or whether she's going to fly to Buffalo (she lives in the US) and I pick her up, but either way - what does she say at the border? Just simply "I'm moving to Canada"? Will they ask for any paperwork or anything like that?

We're hoping to get the application complete and have her move here by the summer, so I'm trying to ensure I have covered everything early to allow time to gather info.

Thanks in advance. You will see more posts from me going forward.

Dinto

Star Member
Feb 24, 2012
Leon if you can help!
I am in south africa and am living with my girlfriend of approxamitely one year.... we only have a few pictures together, and she is from modest means... I am leaving in April and would like to take her with me to Canada... She has to leave her job to come to Canada.... so I am wondering if she can get a visitors visa? she owns a house in Kranshoek S.A. we would like to marry but don't have any idea how to go about getting to Canada at this point.....
Canadian Citizen suggested I ask you how to go about getting her to be with me in Canada? I can support her so I am not worried about her working status until the pr is ready.....I only have four weeks left in South Africa and we are trying to make a plan! please help...

Thanks

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
c_farah said:
All,

I'm putting together my application package for myself and my fiancee. I'm wondering just how much proof the gov't needs from us to show that we're in a relationship. We're going to send the following:

a) Pictures of us together - How many should I send? We easily have over 500 together
b) Wedding certificate + pictures (we're going to do a small wedding when she arrives in Canada to get this application finished)
c) Phone bills - I'm wondering just how far back I need to go. I think I only have a year's worth of phone bills, she might have more. We've been together roughly 3 years.
d) Proof of joint bank accounts
e) Airline tickets / boarding passes from travelling to see each other

Will that do? How much more proof do I need to collect? Do I need any letters or anything from others that can vouch for our relationship?

Also - this may be the silliest question - I'm not sure yet whether she's going to fly directly into Canada, or whether she's going to fly to Buffalo (she lives in the US) and I pick her up, but either way - what does she say at the border? Just simply "I'm moving to Canada"? Will they ask for any paperwork or anything like that?

We're hoping to get the application complete and have her move here by the summer, so I'm trying to ensure I have covered everything early to allow time to gather info.

Thanks in advance. You will see more posts from me going forward.
1) Include pics that show the passage of time, and with you together in different settings with friends and family. You need a sample, not all 500.

2) Again, a sample of wedding pics. Definitely need the marriage certificate.

3) Again, a sample over time, such as 2-3 months out of each year.

4) Sounds good, you have a lot of evidence. Letters from family members who support the relationship are always good, they don't need to be elaborate or notarized, as you will be married.

If she's coming to wait out the processing in Canada, absolutely DO NOT USE THE WORD "MOVE". She is visiting. If at all possible, you pick her up, drive her across and do the talking. Pay the fees upfront, and keep the receipt handy with you. She should pack the minimum necessary, and proof of finances would be good to have too.

c_farah

Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2013
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2013
LANDED..........
07-10-2013
Thank you for your help!
that definitely clears a few things up

Regarding your last point:
What fees will we need to pay upon her entry into the US (or were you referring to other fees I should pay in advance)? Also, they ask how long she will be visiting for. Should I say 6 months? Should I say something else?

Typically when she visits I do pick her up from Buffalo, so that won't be any different than usual. And as far as I know, she will be arriving with minimum items (and the rest we'll get mailed)

Thank you again