Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Risabh_Canada said:
Hi profiler , so you are saying you got/Applied succesfully OHIP before Getting AIP ? How can we do that ?
No, I am saying we were unsuccessful at applying (they told us not to bother yet as it would be refused). They did tell us we could appeal, but it would take time and would likely be unsuccessful. I have previously posted to this thread about ServiceOntario and OHIP. Here is the coles-notes:

Applying as a PR applicant:
- You must wait until AIP to apply as a PR. See: http://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/ontario-health-insurance-plan-ohip/who-is-eligible-for-ohip/ Part "B" - Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents: You applied for permanent residence and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This means that you have "approval-in-principle."

Applying with a OWP:
- You have a work permit that is valid for at least 6 months. You also have a formal agreement to work full-time for an employer in Ontario. The agreement states the employer's name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for at least 6 consecutive months. See: See: http://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/ontario-health-insurance-plan-ohip/who-is-eligible-for-ohip/ Part "B" - Foreign Workers and Their Families

Both cases have a 90 day cool-off period (actually, it's just a waiting period .. our american friends will get the humour here ;) )

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
profiler said:
Applying with a OWP:
- You have a work permit that is valid for at least 6 months. You also have a formal agreement to work full-time for an employer in Ontario. The agreement states the employer's name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for at least 6 consecutive months. See: See: http://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/ontario-health-insurance-plan-ohip/who-is-eligible-for-ohip/ Part "B" - Foreign Workers and Their Families
This is very important for people to know when applying for OHIP with the OWP. Service Ontario will send you away if the letter from your employer does not specifically state all of these requirements. I think technically, you have to wait until working for the employer for 6 months to even be eligible. i'm not sure what would happen if a person tried applying with a letter just stating they will be working for more than 6 months and the person hasn't reached that time yet.

The 90 day wait period is for ANYONE applying for OHIP, not just pr applicants. if a person can prove residency for at least 90 days at the time of applying, OHIP will kick in automatically and there won't be a 90 day wait period. A person will not get OHIP until 90 day residency can be proven, so if you apply before then, it will kick in after the 90 days.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
This is very important for people to know when applying for OHIP with the OWP. Service Ontario will send you away if the letter from your employer does not specifically state all of these requirements. I think technically, you have to wait until working for the employer for 6 months to even be eligible. i'm not sure what would happen if a person tried applying with a letter just stating they will be working for more than 6 months and the person hasn't reached that time yet.
No they said you could go on the day you start, but you still have to wait 90 days. And the letter must be on company letter-head and must be signed in black ink

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
profiler said:
No they said you could go on the day you start, but you still have to wait 90 days. And the letter must be on company letter-head and must be signed in black ink
that's good to know!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
that's good to know!
We found out that they reject will letters not signed in black ink. They told us it was extremely important (colour blind???)..

It should also be noted that you will want to go to a full-service ServiceOntario office. The satellite offices that do just card renewals won't cut it. They will send you to a full-service office.

jcooper

Jan 22, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
The 90 day wait period is for ANYONE applying for OHIP, not just pr applicants. if a person can prove residency for at least 90 days at the time of applying, OHIP will kick in automatically and there won't be a 90 day wait period. A person will not get OHIP until 90 day residency can be proven, so if you apply before then, it will kick in after the 90 days.
I could prove residency for over 6 months before I receive my AIP, but they started my 90 day waiting period on the day that I received my AIP letter despite my protests.

pedropil

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
Med's Request
18-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-05-2017
Interview........
06-07-2017
LANDED..........
06-07-2017
Just received my OWP in the mailbox. Total 119 Days.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
jcooper said:
I could prove residency for over 6 months before I receive my AIP, but they started my 90 day waiting period on the day that I received my AIP letter despite my protests.
also good to know.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
pedropil said:
Just received my OWP in the mailbox. Total 119 Days.
Hey awesome! Congrats!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
So, I was date mathing (this is always a bad thing to do after 11 am; for that matter, any mathing is).

As of tomorrow (Sept 13), we are tied for the longest days from app -> AIP for 2016, which is 195. This is depressing...

Anyone have any good news from CIC today??

sheisoptimistic

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Visa Office......
Mississauga to Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
29-APR-2016 / AIP 14-JUL-2016
File Transfer...
05-JUL-2016
Med's Request
14-JUL-2016
Med's Done....
27-JUL-2016
Interview........
Etobicoke
Passport Req..
17-JUN-2016
how long does it usually take to receive correspondence after "Decision Made"?

sheisoptimistic

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Visa Office......
Mississauga to Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
29-APR-2016 / AIP 14-JUL-2016
File Transfer...
05-JUL-2016
Med's Request
14-JUL-2016
Med's Done....
27-JUL-2016
Interview........
Etobicoke
Passport Req..
17-JUN-2016

sipfarms

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississagua
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02- 2016
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016 Police Cert.
AOR Received.
16-04-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016 to Vancouver
Med's Done....
Upfront with previous work permit, expired but passed 30-08-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
profiler said:
Correspondence from CIC is batched. So they probably sent the AIP, then transferred it to Vancouver (assuming that is close to where you will land?). You should see this before DM, yes. There may be other letters in there before DM, but you are reasonably close to that stage.

About your holiday -- bad time of year to pick for a holiday in Ontario ;). That aside, do they usually send you emails? If so, they would still deliver to you fine. The likelihood that they would ask for an interview in the next two weeks is pretty low IMHO..
Thank profiler. Feeling more relaxed now. Yes, correspondence is usually by email but will be in intermittent reception areas. Will organise for someone else to check emails/CIC while away & organise another date if need be.

sipfarms

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississagua
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02- 2016
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016 Police Cert.
AOR Received.
16-04-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016 to Vancouver
Med's Done....
Upfront with previous work permit, expired but passed 30-08-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
browning911 said:
Congrats Sipfarms! Great News.

How is the AIP letter worded?

With regards to the above e-mail, I agree with Profiler. I do not believe the interview, if you have to go to one, will take place in the two weeks you are away. That being said, based on spreadsheet the time between AIP and DM is as early as 1 day (Australian national included) and as long as 25 days.

"You may be contacted....."

If you want to be sure call and/or send a CSE with your vacation details.
Thanks to you too browning. A CSE has been sent with holiday dates. AIP letter below:

This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or
Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that
a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent
resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks
for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they
are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident
until you and all your family members have met these requirements.
IMPORTANT: Passports for yourself and your family members must be valid for the duration of
your stay in Canada.
Temporary Resident Status in Canada
You must have legal temporary resident status in Canada to remain in the country legally.
Having legal temporary residence status means you are in possession of a document issued by
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) which allows you to remain in Canada for the period
of time specified on this document. This document may in the form of a visitor extension, work
permit, study permit or temporary resident permit.
Although out-of-status spouses and common-law partners may now apply for permanent
residence in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada Class, persons without legal
immigration status in Canada may be subject to removal proceedings at any time for failing to
have or maintain legal immigration status in Canada.
Applying for an open work permit and/or study permit
If you have not already done so, you may now apply for an open work permit, which will allow
you to work in the occupation and location of your choice. You may also apply for a study
permit. If applying for a study permit, please ensure you include a letter from the educational
institution you plan to attend. The letter should outline the type of course or program for which
you are registered, the start date and the expected completion date. To obtain the correct forms,
please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website at www.cic.gc.ca.
Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)
Immigration, Refugees Immigration, Réfugiés
and Citizenship Canada et Citoyenneté Canada
Case Processing Centre Mississauga Centre de Traitement des Demandes Mississauga
The Right of Permanent Residence Fee is applicable to your application. If you chose to defer
payment of that fee, you will be contacted to make the payment at a later date. You will not be
granted permanent residence status until this payment is submitted.
If you have not already done so, it is strongly recommended that you pay this fee as soon as
possible. By doing so, it will reduce the processing time of your application. For information on
how to pay this fee, please visit www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/index.asp.
When should I contact CIC?
You must also notify CIC of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:
 Change in status in Canada: you must submit a written statement to this office and include
evidence to indicate the status in Canada of all persons listed in your Application for
Permanent Residence;
 Changes in your personal circumstances, including birth or adoption of a child, death of a
family member, a marriage or a divorce;
If you have a child, you must specify whether or not he/she is to be added to this
application. If that child is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, please provide
a copy of their document which details his/her status in Canada (i.e. Canadian birth
certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian permanent
resident card, etc.).
 Change of contact information (e-mail, mailing address, telephone number);
 Appointment or change of immigration representative or designated individual; and/or
 Decision to withdraw your application.
You have the option to withdraw your application at any point in the process, provided that a
final decision has not been made on the Application for Permanent Residence (APR).
Contact Information
For information about Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) programs and services,
application forms, or general updates on your file status, visit our web site at www.cic.gc.ca.
To contact this office and for more information on what to expect next, please refer to the After
You Apply webpage at www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-after.asp.
How do I check the status of my application?
You may use your 8-digit Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number located at the top left of this
correspondence to check the status of your application on the CIC website. Please visit
www.cic.gc.ca/english and select “Check your application status”.
How long will it take to process my application?
Processing times vary. You can consult the processing times by visiting the CIC website at
www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp. Please note that, given the high volume
of inquiries submitted to CIC offices, status updates on cases are not normally provided unless
the processing time for a file is longer than the service standards outlined in the CIC website.
What if my address changes?
Immigration, Refugees Immigration, Réfugiés
and Citizenship Canada et Citoyenneté Canada
Case Processing Centre Mississauga Centre de Traitement des Demandes Mississauga
You must report any changes to your address, telephone number(s) and email address
immediately. Please note that CPC Mississauga will not update contact information. Changes
to your contact information should be made through our online service at
www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-address.asp. Failure to provide a current or correct
address may result in delays in the processing of your application.
Sincerely,
Officer NAH- ER4
Case Processing Centre Mississauga

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Hi gang,

To those with OWP's, or who have applied for OWP's. We encountered an interesting situation that I want to make everyone aware of. We are hoping to avoid any one else for encountering this ... situation.

Back story:
My wife got an OWP in June. She was looking for work in July and beginning of August. My mother-in-law was scheduled to visit for the last week of August - first week of September. During 'the occupation', my wife was not intending on working, and was going to spend that time with her mom. Well, she was offered a job from a local company that she had already interviewed at during 'the occupation'. She accepted. The contract (I reviewed) seemed fine -- wage was a little low and no benefits, but my job offsets all of that. So it seemed to be fine. Start date was....today.

The now:
Today my wife started talking to me about having to close a relationship with a local employment services for immigrants because her employer needs her to sign some paperwork. My interest became piqued, because I was aware of a program that funds on the job training. This program is called the Canada Job Grant. It is offered as a means for small, medium and large companies to be able to subsidize training to build the workforce they need to be successful. This program is offered as partnership between the feds and the provincial governments. In our case, it would be the Canada-Ontario Job Grant.

I started to ask a little more, and her employer calls. Imagine: 8pm, a chief accountant from a financial services company calling a fresh employee to talk about her first day. When she asked about the paperwork, he tried to gloss over what it was, and instead just state, "It's not a social assistance, it's something that all companies do now to outsource training."

Ya....right....

She did tell him that she is waiting for her PR, and does have limits with respect to what she can sign. He seemed to accept that on the phone -- we will see if this is a reality or not.

So I did some digging, and sure enough, it seems like this is what they are trying to force her into. The program is only eligible for Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or Protected Persons. Not Temporary Workers. This is an explicit distinction made. The program was actually introduced in 2013 to help to provide the training to Canadians, and to help make them marketable to those companies who would normally hire Temporary Foreign Workers.

My wife was smart not to sign anything just yet. I have provided instruction to ask them to take it home to talk to me about it.

Conclusion of this rant
Be cautious of employers. If they ask you to sign something that sounds like a grant to get you trained for free, or to have the training 'outsourced', ask questions!

To the sponsors:
This would appear to be something that can be taxable. Therefore, it may be considered a type of social assistance, as the applicant must be approved. I would expect the application would be denied, but I am unsure if any details of the application would be forwarded to IRCC.

More details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Job_Grant

Good luck folks, and Happy Job Hunting!