+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship and open work permit

ducman

Oct 13, 2015
Hello all, I am sponsoring my wife for a PR, my question is regarding when can we apply for the OWP? I have found information online including CIC website indicating that the OWP application can be submitted at the same time as the PR application, however the consultant we are working with says we need to wait until we receive a file # from the PR application.

I'm confused, please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did you apply inland or outland?

By the way, whatever the answer is, you should fire your consultant. If you applied outland, then you don't qualify for an OWP. If you applied inland, you should have included an OWP with the original application for fastest processing of the OWP. This is very basic information. Your consultant FAILS and should be fired either way. Ask for a refund of consultant fees.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What is the applicant's current status in Canada?

And I'll say it again, fire your consultant.

ducman

Oct 13, 2015
Current status is a visitor. I'm a Canadian citizen if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your input.

ducman

Oct 13, 2015
I did, I sent that very link to the consultant as was told we needed to wait for a file number, which is why I'm here looking for a second opinion and to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding something.

sawadee-eh

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
That consultant should have known that you should send in the OWP app along with the PR app. Now the OWP will not come as fast.

Read the info here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1exVjDW_qTVuCdi9Fnd5pKlOSA-XJ82Z4JDUZkUtQrE8/edit?pli=1#heading=h.9kbnttjhocgq

It mentions sending the OWP after your PR app has been sent. If you do not already have a file#, they cannot just look up your PR app in the system because it might not have been opened and entered (given a file# yet), so include a clear cover letter to show you did apply for PR like UCI#, PR payment receipt, proof of delivery, etc. It indicates to send it to Vegreville instead of Mississauga. By the time they open it you'll probably have AOR and file# anyways so they should see it in the system using your name and UCI#.
Good luck.

misz

Sep 5, 2013
Hi there..

We're the same situation. I'm the applicant and my husband (canadian) sponsor me for my PR. We submit our application August 2017 and CiC received Aug 10, 2017 but we dont receive any email from CIC (No AOR/FILE NUMBER), and my work visa expired sept 30, 2017.

I told him that its better to submit the OwP at the same time but he told us we need to wait for the Acknowledgement receipt before we do that.. :( so now I'm stressed about that because soon my visa will expire and I dont have any email yet from CIC.

So I just decided to send my OWP this week and lets see what will happens.

Aggarwal123

Aug 23, 2017
My wife is in india, m in Canada
After receiving her file number and getting approved as a sponsor/file transferred to local visa office .
Wats d best way for her to bring her
1) visitor visa
2) work permit

Has anyone applied for either of them, wats d processing time for each ???

Thanks