+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship questions.

lekie23

May 2, 2016
Hi all,

I am planning to marry my girlfriend, who is from China and came to Canada on a study visa, and sponsor her. I am a Canadian-born citizen. We've been together for two years. I have a few questions regarding any issues that we might have.

1. She is 5 years older than I am. Would the age difference cause any issues with the visa officers?
2. Her study permit is going to expire at the end of the year and she does not want to return to China while the application is processing. What would be the best course of action to make sure she stays in Canada?
3. What kind of proof would we have to provide for the interview with the officer, if we get that far? We have chat logs dating back to when we met two years ago and we have been in constant contact since. Is that enough?

Thank you all very much!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The age difference won't matter, since it is not unusual in China or Canada.
When you apply, you have to submit evidence that your relationship is genuine. You should submit proof of communication, such as your chat logs (a selection, not all of them), phone bills, etc.; proof of contact - since she is living here, that would be things like proof of trips or outings taken together, letters from family or friends stating that you two are in a genuine relationship, photos together, etc. Also keep all evidence of your wedding plans. If you have lived together, proof of that is also good.
If you have enough proof that the relationship is genuine, she will probably not be called for an interview.

I hope someone else has good advice for question 2.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Prior to her study permit expiring, she needs to apply to change conditions and extend her stay as a visitor. With a PR app in process and proof of sufficient finances, there should be no issues.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp