+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring spouse from China.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
If I lived in another country on a work visa for more than 1 year with my spouse and baby, will I be able to sponsor my spouse to Canada still?

Living with my wife and baby for a year or more in another after marriage mightmake our relationship more genuine in the eyes of the officers. The last thing I want is to only see my baby only like 4 times in person in a 2 year span if we get declined for the p.r.. That would be awful as a father... My baby will be so big and not even know me. ☹.

If I was on a tourist visa in another country during the p.r application does the immigration officer know and will refuse my application?
OK. I think that you are getting a bit emotional. But do not rush into any decision. Talk to your wife and try to plan it out.

How far is your wife into her pregnancy? You need to know that spousal application take in average 12 months.
And your wife will need to pass the medical exam before the approval. So if she doesn't want to get the X-ray done during her pregnancy, that will delay the completion of her medical exam. Some said they will take the risk of it and have the X-ray done later into the pregancy period (vs wait until the baby is born).

Also looking at COVID-19, it may also create some delay in application from China/HK/other Asia countries that uses HK Visa office.

So getting a work visa/permit and living with your wife and baby may not be a bad option if you want to be with her during child birth and at early months of the baby.

You are a Canadian citizen and you can sponsor them while you are not in Canada (vs PRs have to be living in Canada to sponsor).

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If I lived in another country on a work visa for more than 1 year with my spouse and baby, will I be able to sponsor my spouse to Canada still?

Living with my wife and baby for a year or more in another after marriage mightmake our relationship more genuine in the eyes of the officers. The last thing I want is to only see my baby only like 4 times in person in a 2 year span if we get declined for the p.r.. That would be awful as a father... My baby will be so big and not even know me. ☹.

If I was on a tourist visa in another country during the p.r application does the immigration officer know and will refuse my application?
You have quite a lot of proof that you are in a genuine relationship even if this became a serious relationship rather quickly. Many arranged marriages have much less time together and many get approved. You have lived together for a few months already and have proof of numerous visits. Being together up to the birth of your child and after has more to do with China. It‘s unclear what you do for work or if you live in Canada because you have spent so much time in China but if you gather evidence that you have or have started to look for a job in Canada and if you have a place to stay or have proof that yoù are securing a place to stay you should be fine. As a citizen you don’t have to remain in Canada while you sponsor a spouse.

Reactions: armoured

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
I had a thought, after wedding and baby, can my wife apply to be a foreign student in Canada? That way she can also come to Canada. And then she can stay with me at my home. Is this possible? Then after she graduates, I can sponsor her inland.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had a thought, after wedding and baby, can my wife apply to be a foreign student in Canada? That way she can also come to Canada. And then she can stay with me at my home. Is this possible? Then after she graduates, I can sponsor her inland.
If you are already married it may be difficult for her to get approved for a study permit and you would have to pay international fees. Why aren’t you just sponsoring her after you get married? Are you in a flexible job? Can you work remotely from China? You were able to stay in China for a few months could you do that again

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
You have quite a lot of proof that you are in a genuine relationship even if this became a serious relationship rather quickly. Many arranged marriages have much less time together and many get approved. You have lived together for a few months already and have proof of numerous visits. Being together up to the birth of your child and after has more to do with China. It‘s unclear what you do for work or if you live in Canada because you have spent so much time in China but if you gather evidence that you have or have started to look for a job in Canada and if you have a place to stay or have proof that yoù are securing a place to stay you should be fine. As a citizen you don’t have to remain in Canada while you sponsor a spouse.
I took a year off to traveland tried to start a business overseas... So I resigned my last job. I spent most of my time in the Philippines because I have many relatives there and I used to study there along time ago.

If I get a work permit in another country and my wife gets a work permit in the same country, can I apply for her to come to Canada that way?

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
If you are already married it may be difficult for her to get approved for a study permit and you would have to pay international fees. Why aren’t you just sponsoring her after you get married? Are you in a flexible job? Can you work remotely from China? You were able to stay in China for a few months could you do that again
I want to sponsor her after marriage but I stressed about going back to China for a few weeks to see my baby. The 1st two years of a baby's life is so important to the development of the baby.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
OK. I think that you are getting a bit emotional. But do not rush into any decision. Talk to your wife and try to plan it out.

How far is your wife into her pregnancy? You need to know that spousal application take in average 12 months.
And your wife will need to pass the medical exam before the approval. So if she doesn't want to get the X-ray done during her pregnancy, that will delay the completion of her medical exam. Some said they will take the risk of it and have the X-ray done later into the pregancy period (vs wait until the baby is born).

Also looking at COVID-19, it may also create some delay in application from China/HK/other Asia countries that uses HK Visa office.

So getting a work visa/permit and living with your wife and baby may not be a bad option if you want to be with her during child birth and at early months of the baby.

You are a Canadian citizen and you can sponsor them while you are not in Canada (vs PRs have to be living in Canada to sponsor).

My wife and I could goto the Philippines and stay there on a tourist visa... But on the immigration site it says it is not possible to sponsor your spouse while the Canadian citizen is on a tourist visa in a other country..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I took a year off to traveland tried to start a business overseas... So I resigned my last job. I spent most of my time in the Philippines because I have many relatives there and I used to study there along time ago.

If I get a work permit in another country and my wife gets a work permit in the same country, can I apply for her to come to Canada that way?
Yes that is possible. You may have to pay for the delivery and other pregnancy and postnatal care. You also will need to prove that you will move back to Canada when she is approved for PR and need to get certificate of citizenship for your child and start getting his/her passport. Unless you aren’t applying to sponsor her for a while it is going to be a bit crazy to uproot you and your wife and then after PR is granted you‘ll need to move again. It will certainly be chaotic but it is doable. Also depends on your babymamas employment and living situation(as well as your own).

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
Yes that is possible. You may have to pay for the delivery and other pregnancy and postnatal care. You also will need to prove that you will move back to Canada when she is approved for PR and need to get certificate of citizenship for your child and start getting his/her passport. Unless you aren’t applying to sponsor her for a while it is going to be a bit crazy to uproot you and your wife and then after PR is granted you‘ll need to move again. It will certainly be chaotic but it is doable. Also depends on your babymamas employment and living situation(as well as your own).
Actually I would live in a relatives home in the Philippines and hire a nanny to watch the baby during the day while we work. Labour is cheaper there and lifestyle is more slow paced.... I wouldn't mind paying the delivery fee for the baby and hospitalization fees. I wouldn't mind getting the babys certificate of citizenship in the philippines, since I wouldn't need to travel too far to the consulate as opposed to the one in China where my wife's hometown is like 5 or 6 hours away by high speed train and getting docs translated and notirzed in China is a different story altogether...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually I would live in a relatives home in the Philippines and hire a nanny to watch the baby during the day while we work. Labour is cheaper there and lifestyle is more slow paced.... I wouldn't mind paying the delivery fee for the baby and hospitalization fees. I wouldn't mind getting the babys certificate of citizenship in the philippines, since I wouldn't need to travel too far to the consulate as opposed to the one in China where my wife's hometown is like 5 or 6 hours away by high speed train and getting docs translated and notirzed in China is a different story altogether...
You have to work out with your future spouse. Whether you can get work visas, jobs, get out of current leases or sell/rent out current homes, etc. How much pre natal and post partum care and labour/delivery will be at a private nice hospital. What about if your child needs some time in the NICU. That is where the costs skyrocket. In Canada is is often around 20k/day without any like a surgery or big procedure.