+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring spouse from China.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yea great, I will definitely add that to my application. To keep face, family wants a civil one instead now in august since tummy will be big. A more formal celebration was supposed to happen in March or early April but of course of the virus NO one, even in China is going to attend.
Yea at 33 female and single is like a lost cause for parents. Should I mention this too on the application? Also no dowry will be given to her family because of the difference in cultures.

Are the immigration officers in tune with Chinese culture?
I have no input on the specific cultural issues (with respect to China), but in general, yes, you can and it may help to write a letter of explanation and it may be persuasive or at least help the examining officer understand unusual aspects. I personally think the pregnancy and coronavirus parts of your explanation are quite strong reasons to have gone for a civil or more low-key wedding. They are both at least reasonable explanations. That said, the expectations about other aspects (time spent together, photos, chat/call histories, etc) may be a bit higher (in the absence of other evidence).

As for immigration officers: of course not all are completely knowledgeable but at least in the regional offices (within embassies) they learn quickly with exposure and have a lot of local staff of whom they can ask questions. This is for all aspects of the background checks as well.

Note that of course they make 'adjustments' in expectations and level of risk based on the entire application. An arranged marriage (for cultures in which common) presents a different case and expectations than, say, a fully 'secular' cross-cultural pair that met at graduate school in Western europe or USA or professionally or something.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
I have no input on the specific cultural issues (with respect to China), but in general, yes, you can and it may help to write a letter of explanation and it may be persuasive or at least help the examining officer understand unusual aspects. I personally think the pregnancy and coronavirus parts of your explanation are quite strong reasons to have gone for a civil or more low-key wedding. They are both at least reasonable explanations. That said, the expectations about other aspects (time spent together, photos, chat/call histories, etc) may be a bit higher (in the absence of other evidence).

As for immigration officers: of course not all are completely knowledgeable but at least in the regional offices (within embassies) they learn quickly with exposure and have a lot of local staff of whom they can ask questions. This is for all aspects of the background checks as well.

Note that of course they make 'adjustments' in expectations and level of risk based on the entire application. An arranged marriage (for cultures in which common) presents a different case and expectations than, say, a fully 'secular' cross-cultural pair that met at graduate school in Western europe or USA or professionally or something.
Hi thanks for the reply...

If it says on the sponsorship package check list of a maximum of 20 photos and 20 pages of communication history, do I have to only submit 20 of each? And with chat and call histories, with messaging apps having the ability to call, audio and video along with your typical messaging, can I just show screen shots and not list each call or audio recording?

Have you gone through the application process before?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi thanks for the reply...

If it says on the sponsorship package check list of a maximum of 20 photos and 20 pages of communication history, do I have to only submit 20 of each? And with chat and call histories, with messaging apps having the ability to call, audio and video along with your typical messaging, can I just show screen shots and not list each call or audio recording?

Have you gone through the application process before?
I'm not sure I understand your first question - it's a maximum of 20 of each. Others here report doing screen shots of chat/email/logs so that they can print multiple per page. I did not submit chat and email logs as my spouse and I live together and have for years so for that only know what others suggested (here and elsewhere). For audio/video I gather some (that don't use chats) submitted logs of the calls/video chats.

Yes, I am in the application process now (submitted and waiting for final decision). I also have some familiarity with parts of the process and the arrangements from previous work and acquaintances; although a lot has changed over the years, some has not.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Yea great, I will definitely add that to my application. To keep face, family wants a civil one instead now in august since tummy will be big. A more formal celebration was supposed to happen in March or early April but of course of the virus NO one, even in China is going to attend.
Yea at 33 female and single is like a lost cause for parents. Should I mention this too on the application? Also no dowry will be given to her family because of the difference in cultures.

Are the immigration officers in tune with Chinese culture?
The immigration officers follow their guidelines and scrutinize some applications from certain geographical areas for whatever reasons.
If you apply outland sponsorship then your file will be transferred to Hong Kong for processing. They know what the issues are and it
could take 12 months more or less before family is able to come to Canada.
Follow the guide carefully, show your relationship is genuine, and can support your family without government assistance then no problem.

PS
I don't think " 33 yr old female and single is like a lost cause for parents ". That's ridiculous. Probably think she just won the lottery!
They will have someone to take care of them when they are old. :D

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The immigration officers follow their guidelines and scrutinize some applications from certain geographical areas for whatever reasons.
If you apply outland sponsorship then your file will be transferred to Hong Kong for processing. They know what the issues are and it
Follow the guide carefully, show your relationship is genuine, and can support your family without government assistance then no problem.

PS
I don't think " 33 yr old female and single is like a lost cause for parents ". That's ridiculous. Probably think she just won the lottery!
Unfortunately it is in China. They are literally called the equivalent of leftover women. Not saying I agree with it. My friend married a beautiful Chinese doctor. He is not Chinese. Her parents would have never approved but since she was divorced she was a bit of a lost cause in their opinion so they accepted the marriage eventually. Marriage remains more of a business arrangement in many parts of the world.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Unfortunately it is in China. They are literally called the equivalent of leftover women. Not saying I agree with it. My friend married a beautiful Chinese doctor. He is not Chinese. Her parents would have never approved but since she was divorced she was a bit of a lost cause in their opinion so they accepted the marriage eventually. Marriage remains more of a business arrangement in many parts of the world.
If they are happy together, It's a " win-win " for everyone.
Marriage is not about business arrangement in my opinion ......... That's unfortunate!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If they are happy together, It's a " win-win " for everyone.
Marriage is not about business arrangement in my opinion ......... That's unfortunate!
In a large portion of the world marriage is primarily routed in it benefited both the families not love. Benefits can be money, land, property, immigration, influence, prestige, etc.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
In a large portion of the world marriage is primarily routed in it benefited both the families not love. Benefits can be money, land, property, immigration, influence, prestige, etc.
Yea for sure in China it is more like a business deal. But my fiance and I agreed we will not make it like that and not give a dowry. She lived in Malaysia for several years and she became more open minded you can say towards the world outside China.

A question I have is, if my wife has savings in China, and I do not have a high paying job, it is ok to mention on the application that my wife has enough savings to last a year or so while they are landed in Canada?

Justins

Feb 21, 2020

Which type of marriage is more of a risk and under more scrutinty - - -
Arranged marriage or your cross cultural marriage?

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
Also, sorry guys,

Is it possible for the baby and wife to visit me in Canada while the sponsorship application is in process?

Justins

Feb 21, 2020

PS
The biological male son in the Chinese family is the one who will take care of the parents when they get old. Once the daughter gets married, the wife has to follow the husband and now takes cares of her in laws. By no means do they think they won the lottery with their daughter marrying me if you think it's for financial gain. There is no financial gain at all, the only gain is that their daughter is happy and is in a loving relationship.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
Hi guys,

OK, I had a thought.... After getting married and having the baby, 3 or 4 months after the birth, can my wife and baby (will apply for temporary passport for Canadian baby) come to Canada on a Temp resident visa? Then once in Canada can I apply for sponsorship of spouse through INLAND? Then she could get a OWP and stay in Canada for at least 2 years? If she does not work during the two years, would her application be denied?

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yea for sure in China it is more like a business deal. But my fiance and I agreed we will not make it like that and not give a dowry. She lived in Malaysia for several years and she became more open minded you can say towards the world outside China.

A question I have is, if my wife has savings in China, and I do not have a high paying job, it is ok to mention on the application that my wife has enough savings to last a year or so while they are landed in Canada?
Just reacting to other posts pushing back on my comments about marriage being more transactional. There are more and more “love marriages”. You will have to show how you will be supporting each other in Canada without government help. You can use your savings, property, her savings, Canadian family help with documents to prove that they can afford to suppirt you, etc.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
The biological male son in the Chinese family is the one who will take care of the parents when they get old. Once the daughter gets married, the wife has to follow the husband and now takes cares of her in laws. By no means do they think they won the lottery with their daughter marrying me if you think it's for financial gain. There is no financial gain at all, the only gain is that their daughter is happy and is in a loving relationship.
Wow,
Thanks for updating me........ You just made my day !!!
Glad to hear there is no financial gain and their daughter is happy. That implies your relationship is genuine.
If you want this all to work? Now you have to prove that to IRCC in your application.

BTW,
My wife is Asian

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Hi guys,

OK, I had a thought.... After getting married and having the baby, 3 or 4 months after the birth, can my wife and baby (will apply for temporary passport for Canadian baby) come to Canada on a Temp resident visa? Then once in Canada can I apply for sponsorship of spouse through INLAND? Then she could get a OWP and stay in Canada for at least 2 years? If she does not work during the two years, would her application be denied?

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated....
TRV Slim to no chance, but you can always try.