+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring spouse from China.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The biological male son in the Chinese family is the one who will take care of the parents when they get old. Once the daughter gets married, the wife has to follow the husband and now takes cares of her in laws. By no means do they think they won the lottery with their daughter marrying me if you think it's for financial gain. There is no financial gain at all, the only gain is that their daughter is happy and is in a loving relationship.
Think the fact that your wife is older and they have not found her a Chinese husband and you have a Canadian passport helps. I have had friends whose parents said no to marrying their daughter who was in her mid 20s. She was well educated including abroad, her father was high up in the CCP and they have had a guy in mind for her for a long time. Think he was the son of a family friend or distant relative. They slowly got used to the idea although he had to buy a property first. Things are changing in China especially in some parts. Mixed babies are now really sought out for for modelling and parents want their kids to befriend the mixed race kids. Unfortunately what is most accepted/desired is marrying a fair skinned Caucasian spouse. Blonde hair blue eyed would be even better. There are quite a lot of Chinese men marrying other Asian women because there is such a shortage of women in China. The Chinese men can also be very spoiled after being the only child and grandchild. Like many countries things are slowly changing with the younger generation and attitudes vary greatly between families and generations.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
Think the fact that your wife is older and they have not found her a Chinese husband and you have a Canadian passport helps. I have had friends whose parents said no to marrying their daughter who was in her mid 20s. She was well educated including abroad, her father was high up in the CCP and they have had a guy in mind for her for a long time. Think he was the son of a family friend or distant relative. They slowly got used to the idea although he had to buy a property first. Things are changing in China especially in some parts. Mixed babies are now really sought out for for modelling and parents want their kids to befriend the mixed race kids. Unfortunately what is most accepted/desired is marrying a fair skinned Caucasian spouse. Blonde hair blue eyed would be even better. There are quite a lot of Chinese men marrying other Asian women because there is such a shortage of women in China. The Chinese men can also be very spoiled after being the only child and grandchild. Like many countries things are slowly changing with the younger generation and attitudes vary greatly between families and generations.
I'm actually Asian, Filipino Canadian.
Actually fiancé's family wanted me to stay in China but I said I cannot stay. I didnt want to be an English teacher in China for the rest of my life... And mandarin is soo hard to learn.... Daily life is very tough in China if you can speak a single word. So my fiance and I decided Canada would be the best for us and the baby, especially after the virus outbreak... Canada is definitely the best country in the world and I want my baby and wife to experience it...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm actually Asian, Filipino Canadian.
Actually fiancé's family wanted me to stay in China but I said I cannot stay. I didnt want to be an English teacher in China for the rest of my life... And mandarin is soo hard to learn.... Daily life is very tough in China if you can speak a single word. So my fiance and I decided Canada would be the best for us and the baby, especially after the virus outbreak... Canada is definitely the best country in the world and I want my baby and wife to experience it...
Yes I assumed you were Asian and from the Philippines although may have been born in Canada. Making some general statements. I assume your in-laws were happy to hear that you were a Canadian citizen and that their daughter could be sponsored to go Canada and they may have the opportunity to go to Canada. As we see from the crazy amount of birth tourism having another passport for your Chinese child is highly coveted. I have seen some families trying to get 3 passport for their children. Birth tourism in the US while planning on pursuing PR in Canada and with no plans on leaving China anytime soon. Who your child marries is very important to parents. It is all about image. It is similar around the world but seems strange to those who have grown up in Canada. I assume your in-laws told their friends that they had lost hope that their daughter would find a husband so a foreigner is fine. They may say something negative like they were hoping he would be a Chinese businessman whose families own a lot of real estate but what can you expect for her to find at 33 years old. At least their daughter and grandchild can study and/or live abroad. Maybe we will go live/visit Canada as well. It seems strange to Canadians who are so used to thinking about feelings but the comments can be brutal and very matter of fact/in your face.

Canada can be much more affordable than tier 1 cities and the buildings are much safer.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
Yes I assumed you were Asian and from the Philippines although may have been born in Canada. Making some general statements. I assume your in-laws were happy to hear that you were a Canadian citizen and that their daughter could be sponsored to go Canada and they may have the opportunity to go to Canada. As we see from the crazy amount of birth tourism having another passport for your Chinese child is highly coveted. I have seen some families trying to get 3 passport for their children. Birth tourism in the US while planning on pursuing PR in Canada and with no plans on leaving China anytime soon. Who your child marries is very important to parents. It is all about image. It is similar around the world but seems strange to those who have grown up in Canada. I assume your in-laws told their friends that they had lost hope that their daughter would find a husband so a foreigner is fine. They may say something negative like they were hoping he would be a Chinese businessman whose families own a lot of real estate but what can you expect for her to find at 33 years old. At least their daughter and grandchild can study and/or live abroad. Maybe we will go live/visit Canada as well. It seems strange to Canadians who are so used to thinking about feelings but the comments can be brutal and very matter of fact/in your face.

Canada can be much more affordable than tier 1 cities and the buildings are much safer.
Actually, my inlaws wont goto Canada, they think its way too far and they also have business to run in china so. They are always busy working. They are actually sad because they want their daughter to stay with them but of course she should follow her husband. They don't care who their daughter marries, of course a rich Chinese guy would be ideal but if she is happy and in love then they are happy too. Life is too short not to be happy in life.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Which type of marriage is more of a risk and under more scrutinty - - -
Arranged marriage or your cross cultural marriage?
I'm referring here to the match of expectations and the culture. They are tasked with looking for immigration fraud, marriages that are not genuine . An arranged marriage that doesn't follow the associated customs is a risk and will get more scrutiny. A marriage 'for love' where the spouses have spent no time together, don't live together and little communications or don't even speak the same language will get more scrutiny. As sometimes referred to here as red flags. They do try (as far as I can tell) to look at these things in the context of the individuals and the cultures they come from. But as others have noted in this thread even in traditional cultures things are changing.

I'm not sure I understood your question but hope my response makes sense.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
I'm referring here to the match of expectations and the culture. They are tasked with looking for immigration fraud, marriages that are not genuine . An arranged marriage that doesn't follow the associated customs is a risk and will get more scrutiny. A marriage 'for love' where the spouses have spent no time together, don't live together and little communications or don't even speak the same language will get more scrutiny. As sometimes referred to here as red flags. They do try (as far as I can tell) to look at these things in the context of the individuals and the cultures they come from. But as others have noted in this thread even in traditional cultures things are changing.

I'm not sure I understood your question but hope my response makes sense.
Hey, your response makes total sense. Alot of great insight. However, reading your response makes me stressed since we decided to commit quickly in the relationship....it would be so awful to terminate the pregnancy just to please immigration officers so we could have a traditional Chinese wedding....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I guess that's why they all want to come to Canada ?
No this has been going on forever. That is why some cultures you have things like cousin marriage which has been done for centuries. It is to build up wealth through marriage versus giving away small parts of the wealth/land/etc. Through marriage. Citizenship from another country like the US, UK, Australia, Canada may balance out a less favourable potential match. For example a Canadian has a high school degree. The girl from abroad has a masters degree. If they were both in the same country and the families had around equal standing in the community the girl’s family would say no way I want my daughter to marry someone else with a high level degree. So the groom‘s family comes back and says well my son has Canadian (CDN for this example) citizenship. The girl’s family knows that there are many more interesting opportunities for her in Canada and there is more stability so they will reconsider the boy. A lot of advertisements for arranged marriages are very clear on what families want ina spouse. Height, weight,schooling, profession, shade of skin, etc. It’s pretty cutthroat.

Last edited:

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Certainly, Canada is not for everyone. A friend used to say Vancouver (and perhaps all of Canada) is in economic depression compare to tier 1 cities in China.
Maybe some truth to that with all the recent blockades ? Hopefully ( little potato ) will get things going soon.
I have spent much time in tier 1/2 cities over the past few years. Nice place to visit but always come back to the
fresh air and clean water. I think if you are established an ' economic depression ' shouldn't make any difference.
You're right Canada is not for everyone, that's good for us.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually, my inlaws wont goto Canada, they think its way too far and they also have business to run in china so. They are always busy working. They are actually sad because they want their daughter to stay with them but of course she should follow her husband. They don't care who their daughter marries, of course a rich Chinese guy would be ideal but if she is happy and in love then they are happy too. Life is too short not to be happy in life.
That’s great. She is lucky. The younger generation are having more love marriages. Guarantee that all her older relatives, especially women, are gossiping about how long it took to get married and that is why she ended up with a foreigner. Not insulting you just a normal comment. Just used to the cut throat gossip and insults. You gain a pound and someone will tell you that you got fat since they saw you last time. Sure the women will tell her she needs to eat this to make the baby smart, eat something else to make the baby good looking, avoid other things or the baby will not be smart, not ever to feel chilled or the baby may not be born healthy, etc.

Warning you that grandchildren change everything. Assume there is a high chance of her mother coming for some long visits or hiring someone to do the sitting month. If she is their only child moving to Canada may be in the picture if it is possible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Certainly, Canada is not for everyone. A friend used to say Vancouver (and perhaps all of Canada) is in economic depression compare to tier 1 cities in China.
Canadians enjoy peace and quiet. China likes noise and everything available at all hours of the day and night. Just 2 very different lifestyles. On the bad air days I am sure most Chinese would trade clean air.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey, your response makes total sense. Alot of great insight. However, reading your response makes me stressed since we decided to commit quickly in the relationship....it would be so awful to terminate the pregnancy just to please immigration officers so we could have a traditional Chinese wedding....
Please don't freak out or make rash decisions or stress too much. I think the point of a board like this (my opinion only of course) is that it can help inform how to prepare your application to address as much as possible potential concerns.

As others have noted, there are parts of your application that would seem to be reasonably strong. And hopefully a reasonably written explanation of why you are not going the traditional chinese wedding (which I underline I don't know much about) will make sense to them, as do other aspects. Again, I was attempting to clarify that the visa officers do try to understand context including situations that are different than the 'norm'. There's no hard requirement that e.g. all [insert ethnic group here] must have a particular ceremony, rather a balance of evidence that relationship is genuine.

You note you don't have many photos because your phone was lost, somebody here made good suggestions to help deal with that - the key point being that this is something you can address and take action on. Deal with what you can.

Justins

Feb 21, 2020
If I lived in another country on a work visa for more than 1 year with my spouse and baby, will I be able to sponsor my spouse to Canada still?

Living with my wife and baby for a year or more in another after marriage mightmake our relationship more genuine in the eyes of the officers. The last thing I want is to only see my baby only like 4 times in person in a 2 year span if we get declined for the p.r.. That would be awful as a father... My baby will be so big and not even know me. ☹.

If I was on a tourist visa in another country during the p.r application does the immigration officer know and will refuse my application?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If I lived in another country on a work visa for more than 1 year with my spouse and baby, will I be able to sponsor my spouse to Canada still?

Living with my wife and baby for a year or more in another after marriage mightmake our relationship more genuine in the eyes of the officers. The last thing I want is to only see my baby only like 4 times in person in a 2 year span if we get declined for the p.r.. That would be awful as a father... My baby will be so big and not even know me. ☹.

If I was on a tourist visa in another country during the p.r application does the immigration officer know and will refuse my application?
Deep breath, I know you're stressing. Get married, prepare your application as well as you can, take care of your wife and kid, submit your app, and work from there. I'm not saying don't make backup plans but just step by step. Some files take longer, some get done quicker, just do what you can.

Something like 68,000 people immigrate per year under the spouses, partners and children groups. Every year. We don't know refusal levels but they're not trying to keep out genuine spouses, they're trying to keep out those entering on false premises. (I'm leaving out the criminality and security stuff which applies to all)