Sponsoring my Korean wife for permanent residency

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
bartjones said:
What is the date on that note and have you received a request to redo the medical?
On April 6th they entered that note which is the same day they asked for the new medical report. Is any of the information pertinent? I am just trying to get a sense of where we are in this process.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
costaudjoe said:
On April 6th they entered that note which is the same day they asked for the new medical report. Is any of the information pertinent? I am just trying to get a sense of where we are in this process.
When did you re-do the medical?

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
bartjones said:
When did you re-do the medical?
When she got the email, she was with me at a conference in Shanghai. So she redid the medical last week.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
Seems as though there are more than a few people on here who are over the 14 month mark. Are there any factors that have lead to the longer waits? We are headed to Canada in July, 7 months after our application was sent and 6 month since I was approved as a sponsor. When I see how long some people have been waiting, it make me wonder if we are going too soon.....

When would you first order the GCMS notes? 6 months after sponsorship approval?

When do you think is the best time to get your local MP involved? Any chance that it will only piss off the people in Manilla and just delay things even more?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
costaudjoe said:
When she got the email, she was with me at a conference in Shanghai. So she redid the medical last week.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
Probably not. It's always hard to say, but my wife redid her medical in March 2014 and, according to her GCMS notes, as of a couple weeks ago, the medical was still "in progress".

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Red Tape Sucks said:
That sounds about right. If you order before that, the notes won't tell you much at all.

When do you think is the best time to get your local MP involved? Any chance that it will only piss off the people in Manilla and just delay things even more?
I've read here that MPs will not get involved until your application has been ongoing longer than the average processing time, which in the case of Manila is around 14 months.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Red Tape Sucks said:
Seems as though there are more than a few people on here who are over the 14 month mark. Are there any factors that have lead to the longer waits? We are headed to Canada in July, 7 months after our application was sent and 6 month since I was approved as a sponsor. When I see how long some people have been waiting, it make me wonder if we are going too soon.....

I got my MP involved at the one year mark. The first time his assistant came back with it's in the queue. The second time I contacted him (14 month mark) his assistant was able to find out that our CSQ (an important Quebec document) was missing in action. The third time I contacted him (16 month mark) I got radio silence.

PS I also did the GCMS notes recently.

PatientCanuck

Mar 3, 2014
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul ---->Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/2013
File Transfer...
end of 01/2013 to seoul
Med's Request
03/2014 asked for remed and crim recheck
Med's Done....
03/2014
Interview........
06/2014-E -CAS update shows decision made, waiting on what the decision is
Regarding contacting MP's.....

I contacted my MP at around the 12-13 month mark, and they weren;t able to provide any useful assistance until it had been over the 14 month period. I believe they phoned ottawa and relayed the message that my application was still within the standard processing times. When it had been over the 14 month mark, ( almost exactly to the day), i recieved an email regarding the re-med and other documentation. However, since then I have gone to them multiple times, ( the MP that is), and they are able to provide some help now with regards to clarifying questions about the application.

For example, when my wife submitted her updated police check, ( which we did very carefully and did include the lapsed record on), manilla then asked for it again with no clarification of what was deficent with the original one. I contacted the MP to clarify what the y issue with it was, ( which apparently was the lapsed record), which we then did the exact same way and re submitted with no issues as of yet. ( We made sure the translation by a lawyer read verbatim that the police check included lapsed records).

So yeah, MP's in my experience will be able to assist you with info on your application only after 14 months. Before that, all they did was confirm the app had been recieved, ( which was of some use since we were afraid it had been lost).

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
I wonder if those going through the process already will be grandfathered in? I can't believe that they are going to make this even more difficult for people.....

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/citizenship-act-will-create-two-classes-of-canadians/article18778296/?service=mobile&click=sf_globefb

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Red Tape Sucks said:
I wonder if those going through the process already will be grandfathered in? I can't believe that they are going to make this even more difficult for people.....

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/citizenship-act-will-create-two-classes-of-canadians/article18778296/?service=mobile&click=sf_globefb
Knee-jerk policymaking serves no one.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Hey guys, just joining the thread. I'm in the middle of gathering docs and going through all of the stress I've read you guys have had. I've already got advice from Bart about the option C. Otherwise, so far I have:

a letter from my parents saying we can stay rent free
Letters from 2 friends confirming I'm returning as well
An email from my brother about buying his car
My employer letter
A cover letter discussing how my soon to be wife and I met
And a rough draft of all the printable forms

Also, I'll technically be married tomorrow as we're heading to the consulate and gu office for the paperwork.
The actual ceremony is this saturday. Them we'll start getting the Korean docs next week.

Will I have any trouble because of our relatively short timeline?
We started dating feb 2013, and are getting married this weekend. We'll be applying for the PR as soon as we can in June, then going to Canada after my contract in September to start waiting out the process. She'll have a return ticket as a visitor etc. Looks like I'll be near some of you as we'll also be going to Calgary area.

Any advice on what I have so far, please let me know. I'll update or ask questions as things come

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ctcruiser said:
Will I have any trouble because of our relatively short timeline?
We started dating feb 2013, and are getting married this weekend. We'll be applying for the PR as soon as we can in June
Shouldn't be a problem. That's 15 month of dating before getting married, which is plenty of time. The "regular" period of a relationship before getting married/applying for PR is generally accepted at around 1 year.

Make sure you go to the Canadian consulate in the morning (I think before noon), as that's the only time they do the affidavits for being single (at least when I did it last year).

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Cool, yeah we're on the train now to get there by 9am.
I thought of a question last night. I'm a bit confused about what to put on forms for her names. Of course her original Korean name, but when we get married, she wants to put my last name on her passport. Also, a lot of our texts etc use her English name. So basically, she has:
Korean name
English first name
Soon to be my last name.
I know there is a section for nicknames on one of the forms to cover her maiden name, but do I need a letter explaining the she has 2 first names and a new last name?

Oh, also I realized that my employer letter says my monthly salary as opposed to my annual salary. It does say how long I've worked there though. Is that ok?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
ctcruiser said:
Cool, yeah we're on the train now to get there by 9am.
I thought of a question last night. I'm a bit confused about what to put on forms for her names. Of course her original Korean name, but when we get married, she wants to put my last name on her passport. Also, a lot of our texts etc use her English name. So basically, she has:
Korean name
English first name
Soon to be my last name.
I know there is a section for nicknames on one of the forms to cover her maiden name, but do I need a letter explaining the she has 2 first names and a new last name?
I would recommend using only her Korean name as it appears on her current passport and other official government documents. CIC will be using that name when they do their normal background checks/cross referencing during the course of your application. Using any other name will only confuse them and potentially delay the processing of your application. Perhaps you can make the name change after she gets her PR.

Oh, also I realized that my employer letter says my monthly salary as opposed to my annual salary. It does say how long I've worked there though. Is that ok?
Yes, that should be fine.

Daantaat

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 7, 2013
Doc's Request.
09-09-2013
AOR Received.
16-03-2013
File Transfer...
04-04-2013
Med's Request
Remeds: October 2, 2013
Med's Done....
October 2, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-21-2014 - Scan of Passport Info Pg requested
VISA ISSUED...
May 23, 2014
LANDED..........
June 7, 2014
My husband's status changed to Decision Made in ECAS this morning! I hope this means his visa is finally on the way! :D