+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a spouse from Egypt

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Hey.. whoever received an AOR recently from Cairo did it say 9 months duration?? Who is still in process for Cairo?

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Hey

9 months... mine said 6 months.. all people i know their letter said that...

and now if u see online it takes about 5 months to process 30% of the cases. I think urs will be in that category... considering so many circumstances... :)

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
ya rab fairouz isa :))
Just I remember reading someone saying their AOR said 9 months.. :S I was hoping to get there end of august .. don't want them all freezing as soon as they arrive there lol

maria2

Apr 20, 2009
hi, i'm canadian woman my husband is egyptian citizen and have applied for immigration in February 2008.
canadian embassy in cairo did the enquiry took he interview when they came for enquiry in march 2009 and till now got no response from them.
do will get he interview again. they have not asked for my passport yet. how much time they take to decide. thank you

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Hello Maria,

Well, I am sorry that you guys had to wait for that long. It is more than a year for the wait. Well, an interview means that they suspect that your relationship is not genuin. I don't know how long it would take them to decide but all I know is that sometimes complicated cases have to be looked at by more than one officer. Like a higher authority.

Do you mind if I ask you what have you submitted for evidance. Please let me know!

Fairouz

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
This is a question for a friend and I wasn't sure about the answer so I thought I would ask my friends here.
A friend of mine married an egyptian and he has (avoided) not completed his army requirements. He has been enrolled in university and it just got completed. He said he could get a temporary Aefa for 4 years something about his father retiring and being the oldest son he would be exempt? Is this true? And if so then would this affect their sponsorship at all? I appreciate all your answers. I know some points of the Aefa from my own experience but this detail I'm not sure about.

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Hello.

the question about the military thing in Egypt will not affect his sponsorship at all. :)

I think the only difference is that he should get permission from egypt if he gets temporary eafaa... that is it.

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
fairouzm said:
Hello.

the question about the military thing in Egypt will not affect his sponsorship at all. :)

I think the only difference is that he should get permission from egypt if he gets temporary eafaa... that is it.
Fairouz, the military paper is one of the documents that canada asks for as one of the sponoree's papers. I have know someone going to UK was stopped from getting visa without the Aefa - there are some cases which will allow a person to be exempt from army - also marrying a foreigner will disallow a higher rank [or so I have heard] but I am not certain if you have no army paper at all what would happen. I think u need smthg. And I am still waiting to hear from dh as to how to get any such exemption.

Point of note, my husband is on reserve list until 2012 or so....he *could* be called up even if he is in Canada - even though he is finished with his service. There are exceptions which will release him from that callup, but if he all out right refuses and doesn't respond to the request- it could mean jail time if he ever returned to Egypt [look at Tamer Hosny, who tried to get out military service - and ended up in jail.]

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Hey girls...

Ok, let me explain myself well..

What I am saying is if you get a temporary eafaa or a final eafaa it doesn't really matter for Canadian immigration at least. The millitary questionair is to be done and it was required form. Yes it was. Now what is the real purpose of this questionair. I think it is to find out if you have been involved in a war or crimes against humanity. The reason that you need to send eafaa paper is to provide more evidance that you are truthful.

I think as far as immigration. Everyone who served a term in the military is placed on reserve. This is Egypt, it is manditory to serve in the military if they ever needed you. It is not a choice.

Before I visited Egypt, I was wondering why so many Egyptians are not visiting Egypt till they became citizens (they finished their sutdys but fearing to go there). Once you get ur Canadian citizenship, you don't need to serve anymore.

Tamer didn't serve time in jail unfortunatly. What ended up happening is that he did his one year service for the military. In reality he should of done more than one year coz he didn't finish his college degree. But this is Egypt. He didn't get bunished for both crimes. Faking university degree papers and using a fake eafa certificate to get passport. He only served one year of his military. Other people with dipolmas have to serve 2 years or more. It is so sad.