+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a spouse from Egypt

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Hey,

You have to send your passport by TNT. They know what to do and also you have to arrange with them to pick it up. They will not accept any other service. It used to be DHL but not anymore. and for the passport, you can leave it with someone in Cairo and when the request come, they can send it. They don't care if you are there or not. We weren't there to send it. My husband's brother sent it. Also, he recieved it as well. Just make sure you put it on an envelope and put a sticker on the envelope not on teh passport. Then when you arrange for pickup you will need your clinet id number which you will get when you recieve the AOR from Cairo. The cairo office mailed me an AOR letter and stickers (with clinet id number). Some people got an email but the email has a subject with your client ID number. So you can just write it on the envelope. Then get this person to recieve it and send it to you. The fee wasn't that much. I think it was 50le. So in total we paid 100 le.

I know it is silly but I got Egypt007 to call them and she confirmed that it has to be sent and picked up by TNT. I don't know why.

Just to let you know! You are only allowed to pick it up on Thursdays only and for only 1 hour and a half. so if you miss that time, then u have to wait for another week.

As far as for flights! Seriously keep looking in Thomas cook. Now the prices are so expensive coz it is high season. Try to fly on low season. The cheapest flight on October was on Lufthanza and all I can say is that the flight on there was just amazing. During the last year when I went to Canada again. I travelled through Egypt air and Air canada. I only paid almost 6000 pounds for 2 way flight. This was a good deal because starting sometime in April, Egypt air will add additional flights to Frankfurt and London so if you call Egypt Air!

For travelling with kids. Try to get infant seats (Bassinet / carrycot ) and ask for front row! More leg room! :) I loved it. You can do this when you book your ticket.

By the way, there is high season days and low season days as well (depends on when u purchase) so check thomas cook everyday and try to find which days have the cheapest flights.

http://www.thomascookegypt.com/

This is the message we got from them when my hubby got his visa. I pray that you all get it!

"We are pleased to inform you that your visa has now been issued. You are kindly requested to arrange with a courier to pick up your passport any Thursday from 08:30 to 10:00 a.m."

It was one of the best days in my life!

Fairouz

poetresse

Mar 7, 2008
Hi everyone!!!
My husband is working on getting the papers done in Cairo. Question...he wants to know how to get the police certificate and does he need that form that came with the kit? He said, "the police here NEVER do his stuff on any papers but their papers."
I'm thinking, he has to fill it the form up himself and give it to the authorities who take care of the release of the info...am I right?

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Hello poetresse,

well, it is called feesh w tashbeeh... they have their own form.. he goes there with 2 identical photos and i think 7 le... and it usually takes 2 days... or so... not very long... there is no form for it in the kit. He will have to be finger printed... that is it... you have to include this paper in ur application and send it within three months or it will delay ur applicaiton as you will have to submit a new one..

poetresse

Mar 7, 2008
Thank you Fairouz,
I did get a paper to fill up, but this is great, thanks. I already told him to get the police certificate last. It's good to hear everyone's process is also going well.

Nessy

Mar 24, 2008
Hey guys,

sorry long time....hope u all doin great. I just have one quick question, does anyone have any idea of how we can get driver's license in canada, particularly alberta?? I mean i heard something about being able to exchange the egyptian drivers license with a canadian one with proper translation instead of waiting to do the number 7 and then a year later number 5??? does any1 know anything bout this?

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
poetresse definitely keep the police clearance for last because alot of unexpected things come up and then you only have 3 months validity.. My hubby did his just before we sent it out so we don't have to do it over HOPEFULLY lol

About the drivers licence I have no idea about Alberta but I think in Ontario it gets a G2 licence but still have to take the final G licence test.. Maybe there is someone who has experience?

poetresse

Mar 7, 2008
Hi Nessy,
Try this link...http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_Licence.cfm#Exchanging_a_Non-Alberta_Operators_Licence for Alberta Driver's licences.
A country must have a licence exchange agreement with a province, otherwise,, full testing will be required to get a driver's licence. I hope the link helps.

I told my husband to go ahead and work on getting the other stuff done first, and worry about the police certificate last. Thanks Fairouz and Boncuk.

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Hello Nessy,

We live in Alberta as well. Ok here is the deal in a simple way. As your hubby is Egyptian, have him transilate his License in Egypt. He can also have the international driving license as well but htey will not look at it. They will only take the government issued one. So it allows him to drive for 90 days starting the day he arrives to Canada. After this, he will not be able to drive or rent a car. He can rent a car with his international driving licence for up to a year but then if something goes wrong, the insurance will turn their back to your husband.

So get him to study the rules before he comes and then have the written test done as soon as he comes here. The book is online in pdf format. This way he can practice. I find it better for them because it will help him understand the rules and then when going out they are not as confused. ok, then they don't have to wait the year to do the test. He can do the road test right away.

Now to get the full graduate licence. He will need to get a letter from Egypt's authrities saying he has a clean record and that he has been driving since year so and so. This way he will be allowed to drive after 12:00am and will not get a new driver license.

So when you go do the test, he will need a proof of address in alberta (something from the government (health card) or a bill) and also his passport. 2 government issued ids. :)

We are going through this now.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My experience with the Alberta system, it can also depend on which registry you go to, they wanted me to wait a year to take the road test unless I could prove to the Alberta government that I had a foreign license. To prove that, I would have to provide a foreign license with either a translation or an international license. That's why you should make sure before you leave your country to get a translation of your license or an international license because they may not be so easy to get in Canada.

In my case, they let me take the written test and gave me a learners license while taking away my foreign license to send it to the government to be looked at. With a learners license, you can still drive but you have to drive with another adult that is licensed. It's the kind of license they give to kids who are learning to drive. You can also not drive from midnight to 5 am.

When you do this, make sure the registry gives you the number of the government office you have to call to find out when you can take the road test. Call them every week or so to ask about it. I was told by the registry it would take 6-8 weeks and that the government office would call me but when I got tired of waiting and called them, they told me that they never call people and that it takes maximum 4 weeks. After they have approved it, you can book and take a road test to get a full license or a GDL license. Which you get depends on how long you have been driving. If it's less than 2 years or they are not convinced about it, say you province a foreign license with an international license only but no translation, they will not know the issue date of your license and will make you take the lesser road test for the GDL license.

With a GDL license, you can do practically everything except your allowed alcohol level is zero and you lose your license with less demerit points than a normal one. You also can not test for a truck or taxi license while you are on a GDL license. That probation period lasts 2 years. For a full license, you take a more advanced road test.

Nessy

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks guys, the process is alot longer than i thought. What we did so far is get international driver's license and we r still looking to translate the drivers license in a proper way, does the translation have to be certified from any where? Hopefully things go well.. Thanks again

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
More Questions...

Hi guys,

Just checking in here. How long does it take from the time they receive your application, until you can see it in e-cas [even if by the Receipt #]? I am waiting for a letter of confirmation from them, but have heard nothing. Will I not hear anything until the website shows that they are processing applications near to the date my package was received by them?

ALSO, I noticed on the trackitt website that there was a relatively small time differential between some people's AOR and the requesting of the passport. [in one instance, it was 3 days, and in another instance it was 3 weeks]...did they get approved that quickly??? Am I correct to assume, if they are asking for the passport, that the sponsorship has been approved?

thanks in advance,

rasha

best of luck to everyone ! :)

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Rasha thx for asking those questions as I am wondering the same!
Also I read a few posters saying they had their packages returned if they didn't write the name of the applicant on the back of them! I didn't read that in the guide anywhere.. I double checked just now the booklet for the additional things for Egypt and it just says supply 8 photos according to specifications. I am only sponsoring my husband so I mean its a given its him.. but now I'm all worried that I will get it back saying this :( I had to send everything from Egypt so its not the cheapest thing .. god will the worrying stop ever :(