+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2020

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022
Hello everyone:

Does anyone know about
minimum IELTS band score for self-employed ?
they asked me to submit additional documents included IELTS test result
and I took the IELTS exam for the first time in my life with no experience in and unfortunately got a low score
speaking: 6
writing: 5.5
Im so nervous about it because I dont have time to retake the exam.
please let me know if you have any information about that.

no specific requirement. it all comes down to whether you are able to establish self employment in Canada. Your scores should be fine for most NOCs, unless you are one of the writers categories, which requires high language proficiency to start.

Homay7

Star Member
Nov 12, 2020
no specific requirement. it all comes down to whether you are able to establish self employment in Canada. Your scores should be fine for most NOCs, unless you are one of the writers categories, which requires high language proficiency to start.
My NOC : 5252

my ielts overall score : 5
Speaking: 6
Writing: 5.5
Two others: 4.5

Actually thats my ADR after JR and settlement.

Can I submit it safely?
Sorry, I ask a lot,
I'm very stressed

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022

Can I submit it safely?
Sorry, I ask a lot,
I'm very stressed
well, there seems to be a lot happened with your application. With so little information, the only thing that can be suggested would be JUST GIVE YOUR BEST. only the reviewing officer can make the final call.

What was the settlement?

Homay7

Star Member
Nov 12, 2020
well, there seems to be a lot happened with your application. With so little information, the only thing that can be suggested would be JUST GIVE YOUR BEST. only the reviewing officer can make the final call.

What was the settlement?
Yes, my journey was like a winding path so far...
Actually I received a rejection letter about 6 months ago and it mentioned that: you were rejected because you have not have the 1 or 2 years relevant experience and it was very strange for me and unfair because I have more than 20 years of useful work experience so Immediately I filed my JR file in the federal court and after a month they offered to settle and I accepted
so they transferred my case to another officer . And now they asked again for additional documents, including the updated "police certificates" , "some forms" and "provide proof of your language abilities in english"
If I had the chance, I would take the IELTS exam again for higher score but unfortunately, I have to upload my documents in the next few days....
what do you think

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022
Actually I received a rejection letter about 6 months ago and it mentioned that: you were rejected because you have not have the 1 or 2 years relevant experience and it was very strange for me and unfair because I have more than 20 years of useful work experience so Immediately I filed my JR file in the federal court and after a month they offered to settle and I accepted
so they transferred my case to another officer . And now they asked again for additional documents, including the updated "police certificates" , "some forms" and "provide proof of your language abilities in english"
If I had the chance, I would take the IELTS exam again for higher score but unfortunately, I have to upload my documents in the next few days....
what do you think
were you asked to provide more info on the reason of previous refusal?
were you asked before refusal for updated "police certificates" , "some forms" and "provide proof of your language abilities in english"?
were you asked for medical exam?

all in all, just upload what you have for now, they know now you are not easy to mass with. They will review your case more carefully this time. After all, asking for ADR is always a progress forward.

Homay7

Star Member
Nov 12, 2020
were you asked to provide more info on the reason of previous refusal?
were you asked before refusal for updated "police certificates" , "some forms" and "provide proof of your language abilities in english"?
were you asked for medical exam?

all in all, just upload what you have for now, they know now you are not easy to mass with. They will review your case more carefully this time. After all, asking for ADR is always a progress forward.
neither they asked me to update police certificate before nor more info on the reason of previous refusal ,

before refusal they just asked me to updates my son's new passport...
Also in refusal letter they wrote me just about my 1 or 2 years of relevant experience but I found out that in the officer's note they sent to the court, mentioned the reason for refusal language ability....
that these two were contradictory

Ansionuk

Feb 11, 2022
neither they asked me to update police certificate before nor more info on the reason of previous refusal ,

before refusal they just asked me to updates my son's new passport...
Also in refusal letter they wrote me just about my 1 or 2 years of relevant experience but I found out that in the officer's note they sent to the court, mentioned the reason for refusal language ability....
that these two were contradictory
It is progress then.
Good luck and let us know the outcome.
May god bless you

Taylah

Star Member
Dec 19, 2020
Canada
App. Filed.......
24-12-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2023
LANDED..........
28-06-2024

Can I submit it safely?
Sorry, I ask a lot,
I'm very stressed
Based on my knowledge you only need to prove basic language skills/comprehension.

You need to be able to successfully establish your self-employed business in Canada which requires enough English skills to effectively communicate & comprehend the language.

A 4.5 score demonstrates a basic level and a good foundation for further development. Also one of the new arrival services is language testing and assistance to enroll in classes. There are also slightly lower requirements for individuals with English as a second language. From research I did a minimum score of 4 is required for most PR programs - https://ielts.idp.com/canada/prepare/article-what-is-the-minimum-ielts-score-to-get-canada-pr-and-work-there

Based on your written communication here & score of 6 for speaking it seems you just need to work on your comprehension (reading/listening) and you’ll be just fine. Being in a largely english speaking country and using the language daily will soon improve your skills greatly. In this category it’s at the officers discretion but it sounds like you’ve met the minimum requirements & exceeded them for speaking/writing which seem to be the most important for your NOC.

If you’re worried - You could consider including a letter of explanation stating that you will enroll in an English language course/work on your skills in the coming months (even better if you can provide proof). And how you had limited time to prepare for the IELTs but are very passionate about this opportunity to move to Canada and willing to put in the extra work to ensure you are able to adapt smoothly and make a strong contribution to Canadian culture.

I hope this helps! Good luck :)

Homay7

Star Member
Nov 12, 2020
Based on my knowledge you only need to prove basic language skills/comprehension.

You need to be able to successfully establish your self-employed business in Canada which requires enough English skills to effectively communicate & comprehend the language.

A 4.5 score demonstrates a basic level and a good foundation for further development. Also one of the new arrival services is language testing and assistance to enroll in classes. There are also slightly lower requirements for individuals with English as a second language. From research I did a minimum score of 4 is required for most PR programs - https://ielts.idp.com/canada/prepare/article-what-is-the-minimum-ielts-score-to-get-canada-pr-and-work-there

Based on your written communication here & score of 6 for speaking it seems you just need to work on your comprehension (reading/listening) and you’ll be just fine. Being in a largely english speaking country and using the language daily will soon improve your skills greatly. In this category it’s at the officers discretion but it sounds like you’ve met the minimum requirements & exceeded them for speaking/writing which seem to be the most important for your NOC.

If you’re worried - You could consider including a letter of explanation stating that you will enroll in an English language course/work on your skills in the coming months (even better if you can provide proof). And how you had limited time to prepare for the IELTs but are very passionate about this opportunity to move to Canada and willing to put in the extra work to ensure you are able to adapt smoothly and make a strong contribution to Canadian culture.

I hope this helps! Good luck :)
OMG
Thank you very much indeed...what a great article that really gave me hope and encouragement.
and another thank for your useful advice

Reactions: Taylah

vicky1986

Jul 16, 2024
Hello everyone:

Does anyone know about
minimum IELTS band score for self-employed ?
they asked me to submit additional documents included IELTS test result
and I took the IELTS exam for the first time in my life with no experience in and unfortunately got a low score
speaking: 6
writing: 5.5
Im so nervous about it because I dont have time to retake the exam.
please let me know if you have any information about that.
no worries , they want only basic IELTS . till 4.5 is ok

Reactions: Homay7

khurram69

Star Member
Sep 17, 2020
Pakistan
Category........
Other
what do you think
how did you file that JR ?

Nazi56

Aug 5, 2024
Hello I received ADR yesterday.
I am updating the form imm 5669 and I noticed that I forgot to write my husband's European visit visa rejection(2015) in the initial submitted forms.
Should I mention and explain in updated form or write like before?
whould you please help by your kind advice

khurram69

Star Member
Sep 17, 2020
Pakistan
Category........
Other
I got ADR for
IMM5406
IMM5669
IMM5562

all of the documents were submitted last year but they asked again, I printed out these forms and signed then compressed the pdf and uploaded them as there was a 2MB limit for each file upload

also, do you guys sign image uploads in the pdf latest version or print them out then physically sign scanned and upload them in compressed size?

Last edited:
Reactions: Homay7