+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return ticket

r_maheta

May 10, 2024
I am a spouse of a Canadian permanent card holder and an Indian passport holder, I recently got my visitor visa approved for Canada and I want to visit my spouse. My application for permanent residency in Canada is underway. Do I still need to book a return ticket in order to meet my spouse or a one way ticket would be enough for boarding a flight to Canada from India? Also, I have heard about dummy ticket. Is it safe to show it at boarding counter?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I am a spouse of a Canadian permanent card holder and an Indian passport holder, I recently got my visitor visa approved for Canada and I want to visit my spouse. My application for permanent residency in Canada is underway. Do I still need to book a return ticket in order to meet my spouse or a one way ticket would be enough for boarding a flight to Canada from India? Also, I have heard about dummy ticket. Is it safe to show it at boarding counter?
speaking from personal experience, despite a PR application in process, you're still a visitor and will need a ticket to leave Canada in order to board your flight. Keep in mind, it's not necessarily a return ticket, but a ticket for onward travel from Canada (I.e. the USA is onward travel). As for dummy tickets, the times we were refused boarding due to no return ticket, we just booked a flight at the airport out of Canada with Air Canada just before checking in, boarded the plane and as long as you get through immigration in Canada in less than 24 hours after you booked the ticket, Air Canada offers a full refund if you cancel the flight.