+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Record of Solemnization of Marriage vs Marriage License

MarriedMan

Apr 30, 2012
Hello everyone,

I submitted my application on 19th April with all the documents. I got married on 21st Feb, and wasn't able to order a Certified copy of the marriage certificate (Long form) up until now. Therefore, I sent a notarized photocopy of the record of solemnization of marriage along with the application as proof of marriage. I am worried that it is not going to count as an official document.

Can anyone please tell me whether they going to ask me for the certified copy of marriage certificate anyways?

Is it going to cause delays in the application?

Thanks in advance. :)

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
You should have waited to be perfectly frank. It's not going to count as a official document. I'm not sure if they will send it back to you or put it on hold until they get it. They DO need the actual copy of the Marriage License. When we were applying, I called CIC twice and my husband called once all three times they told us "No, the ROS cannot be send in place of the Marriage License". Might be best to call CIC and see how to go about getting the ML to it fast.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My response isn't going to help you but I want to post it in case anyone else in a similar situation is reading this thread.

I assume you got married in Ontario. I know they tell you that you have to wait several weeks (6? 8?) before ordering the certificate - but you actually don't. I got some great advice from this forum when I was putting together my application and applied for the certificate the first business day after I got married. I received the certificate two weeks after my wedding.

So if anyone in a similar situation is reading this - don't wait! Apply right away.

MarriedMan

Apr 30, 2012
I did call CIC and they weren't really helpful. I told them about the situation and all they told me was you need to send in a Marriage Certificate. They did not indicate which document specifically they required. They did say that in case the document is not sufficient, they will let me know and only then I can sent in the certificate. I cannot send it now since they won't be able to attach it to my application. :(

I read on a different thread that Mississauga sometimes accepts the ROSM, but the VO in the applicants country requires the official document. Is this true?

smokijoe

Oct 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
PoS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
14-02-2012
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
File Transfer...
15-10-2011
Med's Done....
01-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Not needed
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2012
LANDED..........
12/06/2012
MarriedMan said:
Hello everyone,

I submitted my application on 19th April with all the documents. I got married on 21st Feb, and wasn't able to order a Certified copy of the marriage certificate (Long form) up until now. Therefore, I sent a notarized photocopy of the record of solemnization of marriage along with the application as proof of marriage. I am worried that it is not going to count as an official document.

Can anyone please tell me whether they going to ask me for the certified copy of marriage certificate anyways?

Is it going to cause delays in the application?

Thanks in advance. :)
I submitted our ROSM and I was accepted by CIC. All you need to do is to order the marriage certificate and when your application reaches the VO you can then submit the certificate.
What you have done is what I did and I was issued with my COPR.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
They will sometimes accept the ROSM and not ask for a certified copy of the marriage licence, but it probably depends on which country you were married in, and which visa office is processing the application.

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act says that once there is a legal marriage, the foreign national spouse is eligible to be sponsored. There is no waiting period before you're eligible to submit the application - so it's okay to submit it without the certified copy of the marriage licence (considering the normal delays in getting certified copies in almost every country, including Canada). You sent the ROSM to verify that there was actually a marriage. If they want/need the certified copy of the marriage licence as well, they will request it once the application gets to the overseas processing office. As I said, they might request it, or they might not but I would order it as soon as possible so that you have it available when/if you receive a request. Please note that, for most embassies, a photocopy of the document is sufficient. You'll want to keep your original.

MarriedMan

Apr 30, 2012
smokijoe said:
I submitted our ROSM and I was accepted by CIC. All you need to do is to order the marriage certificate and when your application reaches the VO you can then submit the certificate.
What you have done is what I did and I was issued with my COPR.
Thank you! I am going to do exactly that. I have already ordered my certificate and will hold it until they request it.

Another follow-up question: My wife and I got married in Canada, but she is from Ukraine. So the files are going to be sent to the VO in Kiev. Does anyone know if they will except a fax of my marriage certificate?