+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Re-setting" 6 Month Visitor Status from US

sailinghome9

Feb 17, 2012
Hello,

I'm sure these questions have popped up numerous times previously, but if someone could lend me advice or any direction to answers I would be greatly appreciative!

I am currently a US citizen visiting my boyfriend in Saskatchewan, and have been here approximately 4 months. I crossed the border in New York on a passport; with the intention of staying for only a few weeks. Things have hit off in the relationship and therefore I'm looking at my options to stay here. I'm aware of all the types of Sponsorships, and of the 6 month visitor status extension, but there are a few details I need confirmed or cleared up.

The first thing I don't quite understand is-

A) In the case that I stayed in Canada for my max of 6 months, if I crossed the border back into the US shortly before the "expiration" date, would that reset my time. So that in theory my history in Canada would be erased and I could come back into the country as a visitor for another 6 months technically? Or is that 6 months specifically time out of 1 entire calender year?

B) If I apply for an Extension, how much time does that allow me? Another full 6 months or does that time vary?

Alright if anyone can help me with this as a start, please do! Thanks!

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Though technically you're not supposed to (U.S citizens are allowed 6 months stay in 1 calender year), yes as a U.S citizen it does pretty much get re set. They don't really stamp the passports of U.S citizens. However if they pull you over and start asking you stuff, and you tell them yourself what you've been doing, then you will be in trouble. So best to just say you are in for a short visit. Also don't carry stuff with you making it look like you will move etc..

My sis is a U.S citizen and lives in upstate NY, many times when she crosses the border they don't even bother to look at her passport, just waive her through (the Canadians that is, ironically going back is the hard part for her).

In terms of an extension, depends on how long your passport is valid for, extension can range from 6 months (in the case of my American wife) to up to a year (I've heard about that on this forum). However it really depends on the individual situation, reasons for stay, and proof of financial support for your stay in Canada. You have to show them someone will be able to financially support you during your stay, or you have enough money to do so.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Yes it would reset the six months.

If you apply for a Visitor's Record, ask for whatever you want. Explain it well, have it be logical. My first VR was six months (grr) second was a year. Third (hopefully last) VR is 14 months. Yeah time I stated my case. My third VR I got exactly the amount of time I asked for.

Even if you go to the border, you can get a VR. They're handy in my opinion. I needed mine to open a bank account and get healthcare (Alberta is generous). If you go that route, have your bf make the request.

wolanila

Jun 8, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sailinghome9 said:
Hello,

I'm sure these questions have popped up numerous times previously, but if someone could lend me advice or any direction to answers I would be greatly appreciative!

I am currently a US citizen visiting my boyfriend in Saskatchewan, and have been here approximately 4 months. I crossed the border in New York on a passport; with the intention of staying for only a few weeks. Things have hit off in the relationship and therefore I'm looking at my options to stay here. I'm aware of all the types of Sponsorships, and of the 6 month visitor status extension, but there are a few details I need confirmed or cleared up.

The first thing I don't quite understand is-

A) In the case that I stayed in Canada for my max of 6 months, if I crossed the border back into the US shortly before the "expiration" date, would that reset my time. So that in theory my history in Canada would be erased and I could come back into the country as a visitor for another 6 months technically? Or is that 6 months specifically time out of 1 entire calender year?

B) If I apply for an Extension, how much time does that allow me? Another full 6 months or does that time vary?

Alright if anyone can help me with this as a start, please do! Thanks!
Another Saskatchewanian huh!! Where in Sask are you staying?

sailinghome9

Feb 17, 2012
Alright thanks everyone for replying!

Right now, I'm looking to go back to New York the beginning of June for about 4 weeks and then I'd like to come back to Canada...

Is it in bad taste to go ahead with this plan, or do you think it would be wiser to get an extension and stay in Canada until we get a further accurate view of what we'd like to do? (Just because I don't want to be at the plane border and then have them tell me I can't get in due to time already spent in the country...)

*They didn't stamp my passport when I crossed the border the first time but I assumed they scanned it and put information in a computer

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
sailinghome9 said:
Alright thanks everyone for replying!

Right now, I'm looking to go back to New York the beginning of June for about 4 weeks and then I'd like to come back to Canada...

Is it in bad taste to go ahead with this plan, or do you think it would be wiser to get an extension and stay in Canada until we get a further accurate view of what we'd like to do? (Just because I don't want to be at the plane border and then have them tell me I can't get in due to time already spent in the country...)

*They didn't stamp my passport when I crossed the border the first time but I assumed they scanned it and put information in a computer
Based on some of the experiences I've read about, this is what I think....

You will probably have no problems going back and forth across the border. Probably being the keyword. However, at some point the IO will probably tell you its about time to get legal status with your boyfriend. ;) Just make sure you are truly a visitor (no bringing your household items) and don't carry any immigration forms with you, including on any computers you have with you. (There was a woman denied entry when immigration found the PR forms on her computer - I think there were other circumstances, but I don't know about those.)

Personally (and I really mean me), I don't want to risk being denied at the border, partly because I'm a full time student and my husband is paying all my expenses right now! I'd be screwed!

Also, if your boyfriend is able to accompany you, things should be fine. That's really the "best" plan :p

sailinghome9

Feb 17, 2012
amikety said:
Based on some of the experiences I've read about, this is what I think....

You will probably have no problems going back and forth across the border. Probably being the keyword. However, at some point the IO will probably tell you its about time to get legal status with your boyfriend. ;) Just make sure you are truly a visitor (no bringing your household items) and don't carry any immigration forms with you, including on any computers you have with you. (There was a woman denied entry when immigration found the PR forms on her computer - I think there were other circumstances, but I don't know about those.)

Personally (and I really mean me), I don't want to risk being denied at the border, partly because I'm a full time student and my husband is paying all my expenses right now! I'd be screwed!

Also, if your boyfriend is able to accompany you, things should be fine. That's really the "best" plan :p
That's intense! But alright, thanks:)

wolanila said:
Another Saskatchewanian huh!! Where in Sask are you staying?
Southern Sask! We live in a border town with Alberta:)

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
sailinghome9 said:
That's intense! But alright, thanks:)

Southern Sask! We live in a border town with Alberta:)
Lloydminster? I live in Alberta :p

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
sailinghome9 said:
Sorry to get off topic!!

We live in a town along the 303, but yes basically Lloyd lol :D
I'm the master of getting off topic, which by definition makes me a troll. A very prolific troll. (You see should what I helped do to the Love or Opportunity thread!)

But I'm not a troll. My witch of a mother-in-law - now there's a troll.

I did have a thought, thus making my post useful. Are you trying to qualify for Common-Law with your boyfriend for PR? I noticed you're planning on leaving Canada for 4 weeks. I'll save the details until you reply so I don't have to type up a bunch of hypothetical stuff... :p

sailinghome9

Feb 17, 2012
amikety said:
I'm the master of getting off topic, which by definition makes me a troll. A very prolific troll. (You see should what I helped do to the Love or Opportunity thread!)

But I'm not a troll. My witch of a mother-in-law - now there's a troll.

I did have a thought, thus making my post useful. Are you trying to qualify for Common-Law with your boyfriend for PR? I noticed you're planning on leaving Canada for 4 weeks. I'll save the details until you reply so I don't have to type up a bunch of hypothetical stuff... :p
Hahah! The talk is aiming towards Spousal (in future regards). I don't want to hop on board for getting married just so I can stay; which is why I'm looking at options for more visits. Common-Law would be alright though.. if we qualified when the time came.

I want to leave for 4 weeks because my family is in New York lol, so it would be nice to visit them.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
My concern is a 4 week visit would "reset" the CL time. I'm not an expert here and the rules are a little fuzzy IMO. I know vacations are okay - but not how long. Is he going with you? Even for part of the trip?

I would be interested to hear opinions from people with more experience with CL like Sweden of Rob_TO. They're both excellent. :)

sailinghome9

Feb 17, 2012
amikety said:
My concern is a 4 week visit would "reset" the CL time. I'm not an expert here and the rules are a little fuzzy IMO. I know vacations are okay - but not how long. Is he going with you? Even for part of the trip?

I would be interested to hear opinions from people with more experience with CL like Sweden of Rob_TO. They're both excellent. :)
By reset I mean if they let me back into the country then it's not an issue, right? They could tell me how long before I need to leave again I assume.

I don't think at this time that my boyfriend will be joining me (his ties to work)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sailinghome9 said:
By reset I mean if they let me back into the country then it's not an issue, right? They could tell me how long before I need to leave again I assume.

I don't think at this time that my boyfriend will be joining me (his ties to work)
By "reset" amikety is referring to the one year of living together you need to accummuldate to apply common law. If you are apart for too long then CIC will sometimes say the clock has been reset and you have to start the one year all over again.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
^^ What she said.

Like I said, it's a bit of a fuzzy area. Vacations are okay. I'm just not sure if 4 weeks apart would be considered a "vacation" or not by CIC. I know 2 weeks is okay. There's a line somewhere - only problem is it's not exact where this line is drawn.