query on sponsered spouse questionnaire- living arrangements

elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there. I've been filling in all the forms but am stuck on number 27-28 sponsered spouse/ partner questionnaire, where it asks if i have lived together with my sponser. Each time I visit my canadian husband we live together in his home for the duration of my stay. Is that what they mean by live together? or is that just visiting. also it says periods of cohabitation - is that just for people who are not married? and also question 28- are you currently living with your sponser- yes or no and where it says No- it says when did your sponser return to Canada which is assuming my husband is in my country UK. so I would appreciate any help in these questions thank you :)

dominokitty

Mar 19, 2014
Canada - Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
AOR Received.
12-12-2015
Med's Request
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
upfront, then again on 25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
30-06-2016 - Calgary
I am hoping for an answer to this as well! There were periods of time where my husband and I have been living in the same place for months at a time (for example I spent 3 months with him in Austria recently, and he has come to Canada for a few 3 month stays in the past), and we have stayed in the same hotel room/apartment/what have you every time we've visited each other, sometimes for a couple of weeks sometimes for a few months. We've always shared a bedroom when we were together.

When we answered this question we said, yes, that we have lived together and listed our 4 longest visits because that's all the space they had. I'm hoping one of the senior members can pop in and answer this one because I am wondering too!

Sorry, I am not very helpful, haha, just chiming in that YES I would like the answer to this one too before we send our application off next week :)

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
I think there is a difference here between visiting and living together. The way I understood it was by thinking of where I considered my main residence to be. Anything else I considered just a visit.

I think the cohabiting bit is a little more important for CL but CIC are still trying to determine you are in a genuine relationship even when married so they may be a little suspect if someone indicated they hadn't met the person prior to getting married - however that being said each culture does things differently.

elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for both replies. yes i think maybe living together refers to my main residence at the time rather than visits but still wondering whether to write yes anyway for living together and put my four longest periods of cohabitation too. as still little bit confused by these two questions :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
For that question, list every time you have stayed together. Even for short periods, such as the honeymoon. It may seem CIC means cohabitation as the 'one year' needed for common law, but if you read immigration appeals, you will see that the Immigration Appeal Board members hearing the cases expect even short periods of staying together to be mentioned. I saw one case where the judge found that the couple was lying because in one place they said they had gone on a honeymoon, but for this question about living together they had answered 'no'.

Explain the situation clearly. This way, even if the visa officer does not consider whatever time you spent together to be cohabitation, he or she will not think you are lying.
For example: We stayed together for three weeks at Hotel X in ___ for our honeymoon, from (date) to (date).
We stayed together in his apartment for three months when I went to visit him in Austria from (date) to (date).
We stayed together for two weeks at Hotel X in ____ on a vacation, from (date) to (date).

And so on. Then include evidence of this - hotel receipts, flight tickets and boarding passes, letters from roommates or friends mentioning the stay, whatever you have.

If you decide to answer 'no' to this question, at least explain: "We have not lived together as a couple for a year or more, but we have stayed together for shorter periods on visits, vacations, and our honeymoon. The details about these visits can be found ____. (That is, make sure they are mentioned somewhere in the application; there is a question about the honeymoon; you could also talk about such visits in the letter where CIC asks for further details about the relationship.)

elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many thanks for your helpful reply. I will answer yes and list all times we have spent living/ staying together and continue extra dates maybe on the page which says about how our relationship developed. :)