+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE HELP! Don't know what to do!

mikelarnaldo

Jun 2, 2011
Hello, I need help with what is better to do. It would be nice if some of you guys can help me with my decisions.
I would like to know if my common-law partner and I should get married first before I sponsor her. We lived together for almost 3 years. But we are not yet married. Would it be easier to sponsor her as a spouse? And we also have a daughter together (she was born here in the Philippines), but since I am already a Canadian Citizen by birth, she is automatically a Canadian Citizen which means i don't have to sponsor her as a dependent child. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
My mother is already living and working in Canada. Can she serve as a Co-signer to sponsor my partner and help us financially since i have no job yet in Canada? I will be coming back to Canada this July or August and look for a job. Can my family and I go together to Canada or should I back first?
Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thankyou.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You still have to apply and get the child's canadian certificate. The child is not automatically a Canadian citizen:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t71061.0.html

Your mother cannot be co-sponsor. Your wife need a PR visa and your daughter need Canadian certificate and Canadian passport in order to move to Canada. There are no financial requirement for you to sponsor your wife while living together in Philippines. Whether or not you should move back first depends whether or not you exclusively live outside Canada.

mikelarnaldo

Jun 2, 2011
Oh okay. Thanks for the reply. Anyways, my partner and i are still dependent children. Right my partner and I live here in the Philippines with my Dad and my Brother. Is there anyway, may partner and I can go together?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can apply to sponsor your partner while you are still living in the Philippines, but to do so you will have to prove that you will go back to Canada. Otherwise, you could go back to Canada first, get a job and get settled, and wait for her. Processing through Manila takes about 9 months, plus 41 days first in Mississauga.
You cannot have a cosigner for a spousal/common-law partner sponsorship, but as part of the proof you will go back to Canada and can support your partner, you can have your mother write a letter stating she will allow you to live with her when you first arrive and will help you with expenses until you and your partner get jobs.

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not have to get married, Canada does not require marriage for you to sponsor her.

However they may ask what is preventing you guys from getting married and you must have a rock solid reason that you believe in and be firm about it. Canada will not accept answers such as "We want to live together first to try out our relationship first"

I have doubts that it's easier in your situation that it will be easier getting married or not because you've already lived together for 3 years so as long as you can prove it, and show your relationship is genuine you should have no problems. The difference is if you are married you would still need to prove your relationship is genuine but not need to prove you've lived together.

So I'd say get married if you guys want to, but don't do it just for immigration purposes, because if they were suspect that is the reason you got married is just so you can go to Canada you might even get denied

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011