+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP holders and LMIA (part of EE profile details)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I wonder if people are getting confused with the difference between a "current job" which may or may not require an LMIA, and a future "job offer" which does require an LMIA. It certainly seems that this is happening.

Froze950

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
jfalvitez said:
Yes, me and my wife are on the same boat, job offer with PGWP working in Canada, but without a LMIA, I think we all the international students must starts to send the letter to the CIC as soon as possible and complain about this, maybe we can get a better solution, and make the way easiest its true we spent a lot of money in this country, paying taxes, etc etc, and our way is always harder than people as the refugees for example, they have everyting easy here in Canada!!! we must start to send our complain letters...
i see what you are saying... I am also on PGWP and without LMIA. I think what you said is not only rude but also ignorant. We all try to keep this forum positive and then someone like you comes around to make a stupid comment.

Canadian government never asked us to come to Canada. They never told us that if we pay high fees and taxes, we would gifted with PR. All of it is our choice and we decided to come here and do that. It is just our mind set that we think it should be "easier" for us. Canadian government wants to make it fair for everyone between who is already here and whoever is applying from outside. Plus, if you haven't realized till now they are giving points for Canadian experince what else do you want them to do?

Morover, they are trying to protect Canadians ( who already have PR/Citizenship). If you havent done reasearch, please educate yourself that there are 100's n 1000's of Engg, doctors, IT professionals who do not have a job. Govt want to lower that rate. So getting LMIA is pretty fair!

So please before making such a bad comment like this and wanting the govt to change the rules because you feel uncomfortable or hurt, think twice.

Best of Luck for EE!!

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
Here it is

If you have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment for an employee holding a temporary work permit to whom you wish to extend a permanent job offer, the LMIA may still be valid under Express Entry. However, if the position or person was previously exempt from an LMIA, then a new LMIA will be required under Express Entry.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
It might be an unpopular opinion here (and I understand that it might be a little unfair), but the way I see it, CIC intended for PGWP and other LMIA exempt jobs to be ineligible as a "valid job offer." The reason is that express entry is supposed to "prevent" non-canadian people from taking away jobs that qualified canadians are available for. PGWP is essentially an extension of the study permit, which is designed to help the students get valuable real-job experience. So, unfortunately, even though you are qualified and have contributed to canadian economy, you haven't been through the test of whether Canadians are available for your job. An LMIA is the only way to ensure that this is the case.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
namaste said:
It might be an unpopular opinion here (and I understand that it might be a little unfair), but the way I see it, CIC intended for PGWP and other LMIA exempt jobs to be ineligible as a "valid job offer." The reason is that express entry is supposed to "prevent" non-canadian people from taking away jobs that qualified canadians are available for. PGWP is essentially an extension of the study permit, which is designed to help the students get valuable real-job experience. So, unfortunately, even though you are qualified and have contributed to canadian economy, you haven't been through the test of whether Canadians are available for your job. An LMIA is the only way to ensure that this is the case.
Exactly. While I know this rule makes people unhappy, it's entirely logical and expected that a PGWP work permit job that was obtained without having to go through the LMIA process is not counted as a job offer under EE. It's no different for people who are in Canada under an ICT.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Froze950 said:
i see what you are saying... I am also on PGWP and without LMIA. I think what you said is not only rude but also ignorant. We all try to keep this forum positive and then someone like you comes around to make a stupid comment.

Canadian government never asked us to come to Canada. They never told us that if we pay high fees and taxes, we would gifted with PR. All of it is our choice and we decided to come here and do that. It is just our mind set that we think it should be "easier" for us. Canadian government wants to make it fair for everyone between who is already here and whoever is applying from outside. Plus, if you haven't realized till now they are giving points for Canadian experince what else do you want them to do?

Morover, they are trying to protect Canadians ( who already have PR/Citizenship). If you havent done reasearch, please educate yourself that there are 100's n 1000's of Engg, doctors, IT professionals who do not have a job. Govt want to lower that rate. So getting LMIA is pretty fair!

So please before making such a bad comment like this and wanting the govt to change the rules because you feel uncomfortable or hurt, think twice.

Best of Luck for EE!!
You make some valid points regarding jfalvitez's comment. It's very ignorant indeed.

Really when a former foreign student says it's unfair that he should have to go through LMIA what he's really saying is "I'm different from any other foreign national and I deserve permanent residence."

This is very arrogant and narrow-sighted. Foreign students are no different from any other foreign national. They want the same thing: Canadian jobs. The fact that they've paid tuition and taxes does not make them different in this respect. They paid tuition money and got an education for it. Contributing to the Canadian economy? Yea, whatever. That's just an emotional plea for you to get what you want: PR status and a job in Canada at the expense of unemployed Canadians. I think EVERY job offered to a foreign national should be subject to LMIA.

And besides, it really disgusts me that foreign students complain about Canadian immigration when really everybody knows it's much worse in other countries. You're damn lucky you can still get PR in this country without a job offer or LMIA. You have no such option in the US. Indeed, you could be a foreign student and pay tuition there for 100 years and the law does not care. Your options for PR are no different than anybody else's.

Everyone needs an LMIA in the US, NO Exceptions, foreign student or not. So if you don't like Canada, by all means my friends, go try your luck in other countries.

As for jfalvitez writing to CIC, that's laughable on its face. What's he going to say exactly? And what makes him think anybody at CIC cares for what a foreign national thinks he's entitled to? Really, when you get down to it, jfalvitez is a foreign national in status and as such, he has no legal standing to demand ANYTHING from the Government of Canada. Simple as that!

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
Can someone please answer my question?

I have pgwp and have been working in NOC B for a year with the same employer. Now in order to get LMIA I asked my employer to apply. Got a few questions

Anticipated start date ?? I have been working there for year so what does my employer put here
Proof of advertisement of job posted ?? That was a year ago and they deleted the posting after my hiring and do not have it anymore
Is there any fee for LMIA ?

Thanks in advance

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
Since i am workin on PGWP what should i answer for this...My job doesnt need any lmia since i m a software engineer on PGWP

"Which of these categories does Your job fall under? "

1)Work permit required , no lmia
2) no work permit required
3) work permit and lmia required

m_dewan33

May 2, 2014
NL, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
EE 03/01/2015
Nomination.....
ITA 27/03/2015
AOR Received.
16/05/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted in EE profile 8.5
Med's Done....
Passed 05/05/2015
Passport Req..
13/10/2015
VISA ISSUED...
23/10/2015
dukhi said:
Since i am workin on PGWP what should i answer for this...My job doesnt need any lmia since i m a software engineer on PGWP

"Which of these categories does Your job fall under? "

1)Work permit required , no lmia
2) no work permit required
3) work permit and lmia required
I'm in the same boat as you, workingbon a PGWP. And I chose the first answer. That's the one that seemed most appropriate to me.

Would love to get some input from others about this question.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
Do you have a one year experience? and are you getting points for it? I have a strange case , the system says i am eligible for CEC but doesnt give any work experience points and i started working in 02/2014 so its not one year yet.

m_dewan33

May 2, 2014
NL, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
EE 03/01/2015
Nomination.....
ITA 27/03/2015
AOR Received.
16/05/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted in EE profile 8.5
Med's Done....
Passed 05/05/2015
Passport Req..
13/10/2015
VISA ISSUED...
23/10/2015
dukhi said:
Do you have a one year experience? and are you getting points for it? I have a strange case , the system says i am eligible for CEC but doesnt give any work experience points and i started working in 02/2014 so its not one year yet.
Nope. I have about 9 months of Canadian work experience so I didn't meet the criteria for CEC. But I got through for FSW with my experience from my home country.

hope for the best

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
unknown
NOC Code......
6XXX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ei8hteen said:
Now the question would be, who is better? One with permanent, full-time job and ~400 pts, or one without job offer and ~450 pts?
Sorry but what you have mentioned won't happen cos if someone who has a permanent full time job with LMO/LMIA then automatically he/she got 600 points from it so it is not possible he/she only got 400 points ... I think the Canada govt. now wants to get immigrants who already have jobs in Canada cos they don't want no more burden from new immigrants ... so that is why they award people who has a permanent full time job with LMO/LMIA the extra 600 points by entering EE

prosanjitpaul

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
Hi All,

Can anybody please sent me the link that where is says about applying LMIA is free, as I have to show my HR.

Thanks in advanced

flavdcosta

Star Member
Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a fee to apply for the LMIA that has to be paid by the employer. The application fee is $1000

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/department/media/notices/2014-12-01.asp#10

LMIA for PR purpose is free. LMIA for TFWP purpose has $1000 per worker charge.