+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2024

Greninja

Star Member
Oct 18, 2022
For 2024 application, do I need to have a record of tax return of 2020 ? I do not have enough income that year. I am not applying for my parents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For 2024 application, do I need to have a record of tax return of 2020 ? I do not have enough income that year. I am not applying for my parents.
Technically you never qualified to apply in the first place which is a huge issue in itself. Whether that actually gets enforced is up to IRCC. Allowing people to submit EOIs when they didn’t qualify punishes the people who were responsible enough to apply only when they met the eligibility criteria.

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
From what I understand, you are co-signing an application with a partner for their parents since you say, "I am NOT applying for my parents". So, I am assuming your partner being the the person who has submitted the Expression of Interest to Sponsor in 2020. For, 2024 PGP programme, IRCC is going to look at your tax returns for the previous three years - 2021, 2022, and 2023. As long as both of you have a combined income that meets the minimum requirements set forth in the table for your total family size, you should be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greninja

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
Are they requesting people to resubmit the Form 5406 (Additional Family info) in all cases or have some people not received an additional document request this year. I keep seeing people that filled out the form properly and they still want them to resubmit it.

Greninja

Star Member
Oct 18, 2022
From what I understand, you are co-signing an application with a partner for their parents since you say, "I am NOT applying for my parents". So, I am assuming your partner being the the person who has submitted the Expression of Interest to Sponsor in 2020. For, 2024 PGP programme, IRCC is going to look at your tax returns for the previous three years - 2021, 2022, and 2023. As long as both of you have a combined income that meets the minimum requirements set forth in the table for your total family size, you should be fine.
Thank you so much. I do not have a co-signer, but I sent the interest of sponsorship in 2020 OCT, but at that time, my income for 2018, 2019, and 2020 did not meet the requirement because I was a student at that time. But if they only look at 2021 2022 and 2023. My income is qualified.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much. I do not have a co-signer, but I sent the interest of sponsorship in 2020 OCT, but at that time, my income for 2018, 2019, and 2020 did not meet the requirement because I was a student at that time. But if they only look at 2021 2022 and 2023. My income is qualified.
Who are you sponsoring then if you are not applying for your parents?

Reactions: YVR123 and shiremag

jessoabr

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Hi everyone,
I (sponsor) am helping to submit the PGP application for my parents. We're not using any paid representative and have been using the Permanent Residence Portal account instead of the "Permanent residence portal for representatives". Can someone verify we're using the correct portal? The PA (my mom) is using her email ID, mailing address and everything, and only utilize my help to verify any info entered.
Does this mean I'm an unpaid representative and will need to upload IMM 5476 form regardless on the additional docs?
Any help is appreciated!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How was this allowed to happen???? Why do others who actually follow rules to apply miss out. Impossible to know whether the fact you never met EOI requirement will be an issue. Were you even a landed PR when you submitted EOI?

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
How was this allowed to happen???? Why do others who actually follow rules to apply miss out. Impossible to know whether the fact you never met EOI requirement will be an issue. Were you even a landed PR when you submitted EOI?
If OP was a student at the time of Expression of Interest in 2020 and not a PR, they will not qualify to sponsor because they would have required to submit a copy of the PR card... I am not sure how this is going to play out...

Last edited:

jessoabr

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Hi, I was adding my info (sponsor, Canadian citizen) into IMM5406, but in order to add my sibling who is over 22 and not a Canadian PR/ citizen into IMM 0008, 5669 and 5562, I need to add them as 'dependent' in the profile page, but 'not-accompanying'. Is that how its done?

Thanks!

You need to include all children of the principal applicant whether they are Canadian citizens or permanent residents. This applies to all dependents of the principal applicant on whose behalf the principal applicant is filling out IMM5406.

The confusing part in the instruction is this line: "You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. "

So the principle applicant must fill all generic mandatory forms:
  • Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
  • Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
  • Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669)
  • Supplementary Information: Your Travels (IMM 5562)
The principle applicant must fill ALL of these forms above on behalf of all family members 18 and above who are not already Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

For example you are sponsoring your parents and this is the family composition:

Example 1:
Parent1, Parent2, biological Child1 (sponsor), and biological Child2.
Let's say Child1 is sponsoring based on the invite as a result of winning the PGP lottery.
Let's say Child2 is also a Canadian citizen but did not will the PGP lottery.
Let's say Parent1 is the primary applicant. Parent1 who is the primary applicant, must fill IMM 0008, IMM 5406, IMM 5669, and IMM 5652 for themselves and also on behalf of Parent2. They don't need to fill this form out for Child2 as they are already a Canadian citizen

Example 2:
Parent1, Parent2, biological Child1 (sponsor), and biological Child2.
Let's say Child1 is sponsoring based on the invite as a result of winning the PGP lottery.
Let's say Child2 is over 18 but not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Let's say Parent1 is the primary applicant. Parent1 who is the primary applicant, must fill IMM 0008, IMM 5406, IMM 5669, and IMM 5652 for themselves and also on behalf of Parent2 and Child2.

This does not exclude the Parent1 from listing both Child1 and Child2 in IMM 5406 in both examples. Additionally, Parent2 must also list Child1 and Child2 on IMM 5406

TL;DR: List ALL children, including adopted children and step-children, regardless of age and status in Canada.

Last edited:

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Hi, I was adding my info (sponsor, Canadian citizen) into IMM5406, but in order to add my sibling who is over 22 and not a Canadian PR/ citizen into IMM 0008, 5669 and 5562, I need to add them as 'dependent' in the profile page, but 'not-accompanying'. Is that how its done?

Thanks!
Adult children over 22 not considered dependents. So, you don't need to add them as a dependent in the profile page. You only need to list all children in IMM 5406 for the primary applicant and accompanying dependents on who's behalf the primary applicant is going to fill IMM 0008, IMM 5406, and IMM 5652 (such as spouse). The primary applicant does not need to fill out IMM 0008, IMM 5406, and IMM 5652 on behaf of your sibling who is over 22 and not a Canadian PR/ Citizen.

riddymon

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
I (sponsor) am helping to submit the PGP application for my parents. We're not using any paid representative and have been using the Permanent Residence Portal account instead of the "Permanent residence portal for representatives". Can someone verify we're using the correct portal? The PA (my mom) is using her email ID, mailing address and everything, and only utilize my help to verify any info entered.
Does this mean I'm an unpaid representative and will need to upload IMM 5476 form regardless on the additional docs?
Any help is appreciated!
A sponsor is not a representative. All you're doing (Like most of us who are sponsoring here) is helping the principal applicant to the fill the form out but your parent is the one who is in charge of what goes into the application and ensure that all of the correct documentation is submitted, they pay the fees and receive any communication about the application.

A representative is if you're using an immigration lawyer for an example. So no, you don't have to submit that form.

MeetS

May 4, 2017
Regarding form 5768, what should I put for fields 3a? Current undertaking means no. of people I'm sponsoring?

riddymon

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, it's the previous three years. So if you're applying in 2024, they need to see notice of assessments for 2021-2023. Make sure you read the checklist, the guide and the instructions on the application. Questions like this are clearly answered in the forms

Reactions: Greninja

riddymon

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regarding form 5768, what should I put for fields 3a? Current undertaking means no. of people I'm sponsoring?
Current undertaking means sponsorship applications that are currently being processed and no decision has been made (i.e not this one that you are trying to fill out as it hasn't been submitted yet).

Reactions: MeetS