+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper > Online ATIP Proof

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
No, I am talking about what is their plan for processing online applications compared to paper. We know that it was about just 5000 online applications upto March 22 compared to ~70k paper appl.
Unfortunately no news on that yet as wksj mentioned, and based on the news item, my guess is that they are transitioning to all online applications by the end of the year so paper applications will be priority before that time.

Reactions: 8494193

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
There was a post about an ATIP titled "Citizenship E-Application, Intake and Processing GO/NO GO" from "Citizenship Program Delivery July 8 2021" somewhere on the forum. From Page 39 of that document:

PROCESSING STRATEGY:

The Department will process the old paper file backlog while processing a small portion of the e-applications received to refine processes, train officers, and identify issues early in the process.

CN and DN will issue final decisions on the oldest of paper applications while also incorporating 5,000 e-application final decisions based on the order in which the e-applications were received, as part of its 245,000 FY 2021-2022 decision target, as outlined in Annex C.

... [A few more paragraphs in between. Too much to type -- the doc is an image so I can't copy & paste]

Most importantly, this will also allow the Citizenship Program to concentrate on processing the aging paper inventory while building digital processing capacity and gradually transitioning to an electronic inventory. Not focusing on eliminating the paper inventory first and prioritizing processing of new e-apps would result in a large stagnant paper inventory with processing times reaching at least four years, if not longer.
At least from reading this, there seems to be rather shitty situation. On the one hand, some applicants will no doubt notice that paper processing seems to be faster, therefore they apply via paper even though they're eligible for online; and they may even spread the word online and urge others to apply via paper too. On the other hand, their doing so would directly contradict IRCC's proposed strategy, as the latter's goal of "eliminating the paper inventory" would in fact have the unintended effect of prompting more applicants to apply via paper, leading to a never-ending paper inventory.

Caveat: note this memo is from July 2021. Who knows how much has changed and whether or not they decided to stick to this.

Reactions: saou17

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Lol, I missed the link at the bottom. The same stuff I quoted is also in the ATIP in that link. My bad!

canspire

Star Member
Apr 30, 2022
South Sudan
I know, I know that I will be hated here. Despite this thread, I made an online submission a while ago.

The reasons I did that are:
  • I am a single applicant (or I was eligible to apply online).
  • I felt like I would be moving back in time if I resorted to a paper application while a much simpler online system already is in place.
  • I am simply in no rush (that's never always true - you got me fellas!!).
  • The total number of "single applicants" could be substantially lower than all the paper applications combined.
  • I strongly believe that the online pilot will soon pick up pace.
Will keep you all posted, and as always, thanks for all the good work (especially for the ATIP stuff).
Ciao!!

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
I know, I know that I will be hated here. Despite this thread, I made an online submission a while ago.

The reasons I did that are:
  • I am a single applicant (or I was eligible to apply online).
  • I felt like I would be moving back in time if I resorted to a paper application while a much simpler online system already is in place.
  • I am simply in no rush (that's never always true - you got me fellas!!).
  • The total number of "single applicants" could be substantially lower than all the paper applications combined.
  • I strongly believe that the online pilot will soon pick up pace.
Will keep you all posted, and as always, thanks for all the good work (especially for the ATIP stuff).
Ciao!!
When did you make the online submission?

canspire

Star Member
Apr 30, 2022
South Sudan
Cool, the problem really is with the online apps between Oct '21 and Mar '22. I'm sure it's fine for the apps sent now
Sounds cool to me, thanks. Having said so, I feel bad about those applicants that applied between Oct '21 and Mar '22. Did anyone find out as to why there's an issue with those target dates? I hope that their servers didn't crash during that time period, and/or the IT infrastructure (or programming, whatever we may call it) had bugs.

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
Sounds cool to me, thanks. Having said so, I feel bad about those applicants that applied between Oct '21 and Mar '22. Did anyone find out as to why there's an issue with those target dates? I hope that their servers didn't crash during that time period, and/or the IT infrastructure (or programming, whatever we may call it) had bugs.
It was a conscious decision to process only 5K apps from that period

• Sad