+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Other ways to sponsor Parents if I don't meet the Income Cut-Off?

Tansin

Apr 25, 2019
Hi All,

Here's some info about me: I am a Canadian PR now and so is my spouse. My spouse became Canadian PR through my sponsorship. My spouse has been studying in 2018-2019 and so our combined HH income has been less than the Income-Cut off's required for those years (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1445&top=14).

Both my parents are alive and have 5 years Multiple Entry Tourist Visas to Canada which allows them to come and stay for up to 6 months at a stretch.

I have 2 questions related to Parents' sponsorship:

1. I ONLY want to sponsor my mother as she is more interested to live in Canada - CAN I ONLY SPONSOR 1 of my living parents? Does it mean that I can use the lower cut-off for 3 people in HH or do I still have to count for 4 people?

2. Since we don't meet the income cut-offs for 2018 & 2019 (we do MEET for 2020), what OTHER options are there to bring my mother to Canada earlier than waiting another 2 years? My Mother is 63 years old and she wants to undertake some a childcare diploma to do a similar job here like in her home country. She speaks English and will be able to adjust here. I will pay for her education and was wondering if anyone knows about OTHER ways (study visa, etc) to bring her here?

Thanks again for any suggestions :)

Happy Holidays to all of us immigrants who have to celebrate it away from our parents.

T

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi All,

Here's some info about me: I am a Canadian PR now and so is my spouse. My spouse became Canadian PR through my sponsorship. My spouse has been studying in 2018-2019 and so our combined HH income has been less than the Income-Cut off's required for those years (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1445&top=14).

Both my parents are alive and have 5 years Multiple Entry Tourist Visas to Canada which allows them to come and stay for up to 6 months at a stretch.

1. I ONLY want to sponsor my mother as she is more interested to live in Canada - CAN I ONLY SPONSOR 1 of my living parents? Does it mean that I can use the lower cut-off for 3 people in HH or do I still have to count for 4 people?

2. Since we don't meet the income cut-offs for 2018 & 2019 (we do MEET for 2020), what OTHER options are there to bring my mother to Canada earlier than waiting another 2 years? My Mother is 63 years old and she wants to undertake some a childcare diploma to do a similar job here like in her home country. She speaks English and will be able to adjust here. I will pay for her education and was wondering if anyone knows about OTHER ways (study visa, etc) to bring her here?

Happy Holidays to all of us immigrants who have to celebrate it away from our parents.

T
1) you have to include both parents regardless of whether only one wants to relocate. You need to meet LICO for all those family members.

2) she would need a student visa to study anything longer than 6 months. And at her age, she would possibly have difficulty finding any employment once she graduated. The other choice would be a super visa.

Reactions: YVR123 and Tansin

Tansin

Apr 25, 2019
Hi Buletruck,

Wow - thank you for the super prompt response :) Appreciate it!

1 - thanks for clarifying this. So, we would have to meet the LICO for 4 HH members in total. Ok, will keep that in mind.

2 - I have seen friends in Toronto send their kids to non-registered "child care homes" in the neighborhood run by women who are from the community and are of my mother's age. That was the reason for considering this. But, thanks for highlighting those issues as well.

I would have considered the SUPERVISA, but that doesn't let them work (or does it? - please correct me if I am wrong) and they would want to work to get by and pass time. Also, the insurance costs on SuperVisa are prohibitive - like 1000 dollars per year or something. A related question:

3. Can I only SPONSOR my mother for a SUPERVISA?

Thanks again :)

T

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Buletruck,

Wow - thank you for the super prompt response :) Appreciate it!

1 - thanks for clarifying this. So, we would have to meet the LICO for 4 HH members in total. Ok, will keep that in mind.

2 - I have seen friends in Toronto send their kids to non-registered "child care homes" in the neighborhood run by women who are from the community and are of my mother's age. That was the reason for considering this. But, thanks for highlighting those issues as well.

I would have considered the SUPERVISA, but that doesn't let them work (or does it? - please correct me if I am wrong) and they would want to work to get by and pass time. Also, the insurance costs on SuperVisa are prohibitive - like 1000 dollars per year or something. A related question:

3. Can I only SPONSOR my mother for a SUPERVISA?

Thanks again :)

T
Sounds like the super visa is your only option at this time. A super visa does not allow your parent to work, only visit Canada. And yes, you need to pay for insurance to cover emergencies and then pay for any non-emergency care out of pocket.

If your parent wants to work, they would need to secure a job offer in Canada and that employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that they can qualify for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

T
Realistically your mother is unlikely to find an employer willing to go through the time and expensive of an LMIA and WP. She is too close to retirement age and IRCC is likely to view this as a way to get parent sponsorship. You can certainly try but have realistic expectations.

If people are actually following the pandemic rules most of will not be with our parents not just immigrants. Would add there are a very large amount of parents on supervisas in Canada and parents with visas have been able to travel to Canada.

If you find supervisa insurance cost prohibitive I would make sure your parents has travel medical insurance on a TRV. Even with the minimum amount of coverage for supervisa insurance people can end up with large medical bills. 100K doesn't go very far in hospitals these days. I know you would like to sponsor your parents in 2 years but there is huge demand for the limited spot so it could take many attempts to get a spot. You shouldn't be planning or assuring your parents that they can move until you know you have been selected. Not trying to be negative but everyone seems to be counting on getting a spot in PGP as soon as they qualify and that's often not the reality. I would hate for families to be basing their lives on getting a sponsorship spot in 3 years and then they don't get selected.

Tansin

Apr 25, 2019
I understand your realistic POV - its just unfair that when old settlers came to Canada, they could bring their entire family along, but as new settlers to these lands, we can't bring our parents even if we are willing to sign a bond saying that we will bear total financial responsibility for them.

As our parents age, it becomes hard to shirk responsibility and leave them alone far away.

But, I think us immigrants should speak up about it and highlight the problems of having this "lottery" system - the process should be based on "need", which can be evaluated using a range of factors (e.g. are there other siblings to take care of parents, etc.).

But, I appreciate you setting realistically sad expectations as that is indeed the reality.

Thanks again.