Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Once you get the Ontario nomination letter, your employer can apply for a closed work permit. If your employer doesn't want to apply for a closed work permit, you'll have to apply for a BOWP.

After you get the Ontario nomination letter, you submit your permanent residency application in the PR portal. Once your documents are reviewed, they will send you a AOR (acknowledgement of receipt) and with that you can apply for a BOWP. The AOR usually takes around 3 months after you've submitted the PR application. To be able to apply for BOWP, you're status as a worker must still be valid. If your work permit expires before you get AOR, you'll loose your status and you must notify IRCC/OINP to withdraw your application.
Just curious, can you apply for BOWP if your nomination is employer restricted like the OINP Foreign Worker Job Offer stream? I thought if your nomination is employer restricted you can only apply for closed work permit (hence the WPSL with the nomination certificate)?

TSQUARE

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
BOWP only happens after AOR at main PR portal and not at the OINP level, correct? Yes

My process is currently at "nomination received" but haven't been able to submit my PR application because of some delays getting the police records from my home country.

I've read and asked so many times in this forum so my answers are based on what I've learned here: you must have a valid work permit to be able to apply for a BOWP. If you loose your permit (and your job) before you finalize the whole process, you have to withdraw your application. That's kind of the trick of the Employer Job Offer : Foreign Worker Stream.

In my case, my work permit expires in April 2025, so I still have 9 months to submit my PR application, get AOR, and apply for BOWP. I was part of the lucky ones that got their work permit extended for 18 months last year. If it weren't for that, I would probably be somewhere else.

I had a coworker who applied for this stream, but her nomination took too long and it wasn't approved before her WP expired. She had to quit the job and withdraw the application. She's now on visitor record and searching for options to stay in Canada (like a job that would sponsor her on LMIA, which are not easy to find).
I think this issue with your coworker will likely happen more to people under PGWP as it is not renewable right? I am on a cl
Just curious, can you apply for BOWP if your nomination is employer restricted like the OINP Foreign Worker Job Offer stream? I thought if your nomination is employer restricted you can only apply for closed work permit (hence the WPSL with the nomination certificate)?
whether open or closed WP you can apply for BOWP after PR application with IRCC and you have received your AOR

rcincanada2019

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
whether open or closed WP you can apply for BOWP after PR application with IRCC and you have received your AOR
But this is what IRCC says:

If you applied for the Provincial Nominee Program (not through Express Entry)
Who can apply
To be eligible for a BOWP, you must
  • live in Canada (and intend to live outside Quebec) at the time you apply for your BOWP
    • You can leave Canada while we process your application.
    • However, if you leave Canada after your work permit expires, you can’t work until your new application is approved.
  • either
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
  • have no employment restrictions as a condition of your nomination
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

P1005

Jun 6, 2024
This is depressing. Even getting the nomination now, probably not enough time to get AOR to apply for BOWP. Only have 3 month left. Feel like they are just waiting for our WP to expired.

Reactions: juniorhermanos10
Jun 20, 2024
This is depressing. Even getting the nomination now, probably not enough time to get AOR to apply for BOWP. Only have 3 month left. Feel like they are just waiting for our WP to expired.
Exactly,just lost my job cause my visa expired and I still waiting the Oinp decision,not sure if even worth anymore ..might need to get back to my country

Jun 20, 2024
Wow, this isn't even funny anymore. I feel your pain. what if you try to maintain your status some other way. I know it will be very difficult without a job especially if you have a family. It's crazy.
Exactly,my company had to finish my contract ,but are willing to hire me back if OINP answers fast,but till now nothing...I am trying everything and also the MPP is trying to help...but as I said before....not much hope,I am just waiting to take my decision to go back...I Have a wife and a son and we can't wait much more... unfortunately

TSQUARE

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Exactly,my company had to finish my contract ,but are willing to hire me back if OINP answers fast,but till now nothing...I am trying everything and also the MPP is trying to help...but as I said before....not much hope,I am just waiting to take my decision to go back...I Have a wife and a son and we can't wait much more... unfortunately
so sad!

Tiren

May 14, 2024
That is so annoying to see how they ruin people's life and dreams. Especially for people who already have been settled in Canada - have a job, pay taxes, rent space, children go to school and etc.

Lisuri18291

Jan 17, 2024
Category........
PNP
Same situation here. 2 months left of work permit, applied in January and no response. Been living in here for about 7 years now...