+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My knowledge of getting an LMIA while working in Canada & asking your opinions.

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am working with an immigration solicitor through my company but given the process is so new I was curious to know your opinions. I also wanted to share my knowledge of getting an LMIA if you are working in Canada already.

1) I submitted my profile to the CIC for EE on Jan 19th. I am yet to receive any PDF message and my Application/profile status has nothing in its status details. Have I missed the cut for the January draw?

2) Without an LMIA I have 477 points. I went through the community created spreadsheet and I think I was in the top 6-8%. Do you think many people will have LMIA's and do you think I stand a chance?

I am currently living in Canada on a work visa but my companies solicitor has highly recommended I attain an LMIA even though I am already working for my company. The process of getting an LMIA while working in the country is quite odd actually. Your company first has to advertise YOUR job with a general description. After about a month when there has been a number of applications your company basically fills out documentation to show that you are the most qualified and you are not taking work from any Canadians. From there it can take 6-8 weeks for you LMIA to come through. Even then there is about an 80% chance of success.

I honestly think the EE process is a tad odd for anyone already working in the country. To my knowledge most Immigration Solicitors are a tad annoyed at the CIC as they feel they were not given a huge amount of notice and have not been very transparent so literally everyone is in the same boat in regards to knowledge of the process.

Anyway I would be curious to hear your feedback.

Many thanks,

Shak

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
theshak said:
Hi Everyone,

I am working with an immigration solicitor through my company but given the process is so new I was curious to know your opinions. I also wanted to share my knowledge of getting an LMIA if you are working in Canada already.

1) I submitted my profile to the CIC for EE on Jan 19th. I am yet to receive any PDF message and my Application/profile status has nothing in its status details. Have I missed the cut for the January draw?

2) Without an LMIA I have 477 points. I went through the community created spreadsheet and I think I was in the top 6-8%. Do you think many people will have LMIA's and do you think I stand a chance?

I am currently living in Canada on a work visa but my companies solicitor has highly recommended I attain an LMIA even though I am already working for my company. The process of getting an LMIA while working in the country is quite odd actually. Your company first has to advertise YOUR job with a general description. After about a month when there has been a number of applications your company basically fills out documentation to show that you are the most qualified and you are not taking work from any Canadians. From there it can take 6-8 weeks for you LMIA to come through. Even then there is about an 80% chance of success.

I honestly think the EE process is a tad odd for anyone already working in the country. To my knowledge most Immigration Solicitors are a tad annoyed at the CIC as they feel they were not given a huge amount of notice and have not been very transparent so literally everyone is in the same boat in regards to knowledge of the process.

Anyway I would be curious to hear your feedback.

Many thanks,

Shak
I must say your company is very good...my employers just said we dont provide any support for immigration. Fullstop

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
curious_123 said:
If you are under CEC, i think you should go though...
Yes I am under CEC.

Are you saying you think I should leave the country or you think I will go through the ranking process?

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
dukhi said:
I must say your company is very good...my employers just said we dont provide any support for immigration. Fullstop
Well I work in a very niche area thats not easy to hire for. I of course feel blessed for their support but while the process from a high level seems easier it appears from a low level there is far more competition.

curious_123

Jun 19, 2014
Well what i meant is if you are applying under CEC , you should get the ITA with your score. For CEC, this year the quota is 21000.

2013, total applicant under CEC were around 8k and same for 2014 which was around 8k.

What I understand is that they have separate quota for CEC (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-11-06.asp )

I do not think it will shoot up to 21000 over a year , however i am curious to know why they allocated so many places for CEC. Is there any back log or sum thing ?

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
curious_123 said:
Well what i meant is if you are applying under CEC , you should get the ITA with your score. For CEC, this year the quota is 21000.

2013, total applicant under CEC were around 8k and same for 2014 which was around 8k.

What I understand is that they have separate quota for CEC.

I do not think it will shoot up to 21000 over a year , however i am curious to know why they allocated so many places for CEC. Is there any back log or sum thing ?
My apologies I was not sure what you were saying in your previous reply. To my knowledge there is quite a backlog. The original process for those applying through CEC once application is submitted was 13 months.

How long does it usually take to be submitted to the pool?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
@curious_123 I think they maintained about the same ratio between FSW/FST and CEC last year and they increased total immigrants target. Btw, 8k in 2014 is only for last 8 months I believe? And that cap hasn't been reached. This year's increase to 21k is a big boost.

Those applied in the old rules in 2014 will follow the old rules so EE has nothing to do with them. These applications are suppose to be done next year (13 months plus?) , and that's the end, all applications after that is under EE.

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
curious_123 said:

What I understand is that they have separate quota for CEC.

Actually from looking at my profile again it actually says Federal Skilled Worker - Met and Canadian Experience Class - Met. I work in IT you see. Does that mean I have a much better chance or I will only be stuck in just one category?

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
theshak said:
Actually from looking at my profile again it actually says Federal Skilled Worker - Met and Canadian Experience Class - Met. I work in IT you see. Does that mean I have a much better chance or I will only be stuck in just one category?
Whats your noc code?

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
dukhi said:
Whats your noc code?
Not sure where I can find that, do I only receive that once I received the pdf message saying I have been added to the pool? I am still waiting to be added. Thats why I was curious if I missed the cut for January.

Also what can you tell from my NOC number?

curious_123

Jun 19, 2014
theshak said:
If you qualify under CEC and FSW, most probably you will qualify under CEC...

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
theshak said:
Not sure where I can find that, do I only receive that once I received the pdf message saying I have been added to the pool? I am still waiting to be added. Thats why I was curious if I missed the cut for January.

Also what can you tell from my NOC number?
How did you created your profile in EE without knowing your noc code coz it ask for this in the work history section...

theshak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
dukhi said:
How did you created your profile in EE without knowing your noc code coz it ask for this in the work history section...
Well here is the thing, the solicitor my company hired filled out all the details for me and after I have I gave it a quick read I submitted it myself. I work in IT so I imagine I come under Skill level A - "Professional jobs. People usually need a degree from a university for these jobs."