+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mexico

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mc1234 said:
kk thanks we are applying through Mexico City. What are the requirements to apply to Buffalo?
Some people who have visitor status in Canada choose to apply through Buffalo instead of their country of citizenship. Applying through Mexico makes sense if he's from Mexico since they'll be familiar with all his documents so no worries :)

edgarsitow

Sep 11, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 19 2009
Doc's Request.
April 26, 2012, ARC Request on August 31, 2012
File Transfer...
14 October 2009 to Mexico City (Original) April 04, 2012 (re-processing after appeal allowed)
Med's Request
April 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 07, 2009 (Original) April 30, 2012 (After appeal allowed)
Interview........
March 23, 2010 DENIED, Filed appeal September 2010
Passport Req..
November 05, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 06, 2012
LANDED..........
November 17, 2012
OhCanadiana said:
Some people who have visitor status in Canada choose to apply through Buffalo instead of their country of citizenship. Applying through Mexico makes sense if he's from Mexico since they'll be familiar with all his documents so no worries :)
Those "some people" have some sort of legal status in the USA for at least 1 year, you can't apply through a country in which you're not a citizen and are not legally residing there.

A lot of people do this; their file just gets forwarded to Mexico City and you waste precious time.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wansunika said:
Thanks for the hints! We'll make sure to call them before we go.
You're welcome :D Good luck - all accounts I've had make it a pain-free process (other than needing to go to two offices - one to apply and another to get your fingerprints taken by the forensics team).

Debora

Apr 14, 2012
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone!

I am a Canadian citizen (from Québec) who moved to Mexico City in October 2011 to be with my husband (we married here in Mexico in January 2012)... My question regarding the Family Class Sponsorship is:

Is it true that I have to do my 2011 taxes before sending in my sponsorship forms?

thanks for the answer in advance!!

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
No you don't but you do need to order an option C print out 2010 is just fine

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Oops, actually pls disregard my last post because I just reread and am actually not sure of the rules of Quebec.

wansunika

Apr 15, 2012
edgarsitow said:
Well the IAD (Immigration Appeal Division) sent a letter to my wife on Feb. 8th and she got it on the 17th.

In comparison I just got my electricity bill in the mail......Dated March 10th :-X
Oooooooh! It's a long time for a bill to get to you!!! Well, we'll see were they will send the letter. If it doesn't arrived in Canada in the next 2 weeks, I will assume that they mailed it to my husband's address...

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
edgarsitow said:
Those "some people" have some sort of legal status in the USA for at least 1 year, you can't apply through a country in which you're not a citizen and are not legally residing there.

A lot of people do this; their file just gets forwarded to Mexico City and you waste precious time.
Indeed, Visa Offices can forward specific files, or your whole file, to verify validity of documents if they aren't familiar with them and that just takes up time so it's important to carefully consider visa office selection in any out-of-the-ordinary cases.

That's why it makes sense to apply through Mexico only if the applicant is Mexican and most of the official documents are Mexican (as opposed to someone who is Mexican by descent but was born and spent the majority of his/her life in a third country) and why I was seeking clarification on the OP's situation.

BTW - on your comment regarding legal status, I thought it was beyond bizarre when I read it in one of CICs publications, but for spousal class specifically there's an exception so that you can apply to a visa office even if the applicant is living there without legal status as long as the applicant initially entered that territory legally. When I read this in one of CIC's manuals, it struck me as a very bizarre exception but there it was and although I moved on, that factoid stuck in my mind as one of those quirks of the rules.

edgarsitow

Sep 11, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 19 2009
Doc's Request.
April 26, 2012, ARC Request on August 31, 2012
File Transfer...
14 October 2009 to Mexico City (Original) April 04, 2012 (re-processing after appeal allowed)
Med's Request
April 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 07, 2009 (Original) April 30, 2012 (After appeal allowed)
Interview........
March 23, 2010 DENIED, Filed appeal September 2010
Passport Req..
November 05, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 06, 2012
LANDED..........
November 17, 2012
OhCanadiana said:
Indeed, Visa Offices can forward specific files, or your whole file, to verify validity of documents if they aren't familiar with them and that just takes up time so it's important to carefully consider visa office selection in any out-of-the-ordinary cases.

That's why it makes sense to apply through Mexico only if the applicant is Mexican and most of the official documents are Mexican (as opposed to someone who is Mexican by descent but was born and spent the majority of his/her life in a third country) and why I was seeking clarification on the OP's situation.

BTW - on your comment regarding legal status, I thought it was beyond bizarre when I read it in one of CICs publications, but for spousal class specifically there's an exception so that you can apply to a visa office even if the applicant is living there without legal status as long as the applicant initially entered that territory legally. When I read this in one of CIC's manuals, it struck me as a very bizarre exception but there it was and although I moved on, that factoid stuck in my mind as one of those quirks of the rules.
Interesting "exception" to the rule. Being from Tijuana, I would've preferred for my application to be processed in the USA, I believe there's a CPC in LA, so it would've been a lot better to take advantage of the lower processing times (and friendlier officers!).

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
edgarsitow said:
Being from Tijuana, I would've preferred for my application to be processed in the USA, I believe there's a CPC in LA, so it would've been a lot better to take advantage of the lower processing times (and friendlier officers!).
I suspect you slept better at night by not qualifying ;D

missmymexi

Feb 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-17-2012
Doc's Request.
11-26-12 - Common law declaration/PRG/SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa - 09-11-12 / DF 11-26-12
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
memexico said:
Hi!
Good luck to you both!
You guys are lucky, you get to be together to wait it out!
My plan is to go back to Mexico in July and live with my fiancé
if we haven't gotten an answer yet. We'll just wait for his
visa over there 'cause we can't take being apart
anymore!! :'(
I totally relate, we also are apart during the application and have already been apart 8 months, we are looking at 2 years probably till we can live together again, its not easy but it sure makes your relationship solid, if you can survive this you will survive anything :) Good luck to you !!

missmymexi

Feb 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-17-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
Nessa said:
We got AOR from Mexico city today, by email!

In the letter it says that the average time from that office is 6 months.

Also says they are sending the instructions for the PGR today and if we don´t get the letter in 60 days to contact them.

One thing I am not sure of is that it says

¨To facilitate matching of documents requested, please attach a label with your file number
on the top right corner of each document that you sent to our office.¨

I´m asuming they made a mistake and meant to put ¨send¨ instead of ¨sent¨, right?
Good News Nessa ! I will add it to the spreadsheet :)

missmymexi

Feb 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-17-2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
Hi Everyone,

I will be updating the spreadsheet this evening with Nessa's great news and memexico's information, sorry I dropped the ball but got some terrible food poisoning but i am ok now :) If anyone else wants to be added to the spreadsheet or has updates let me know :)

I am so excited that people are getting some response and about the 6 month processing, it made my day !

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Well the moving truck arrived this morning and our stuff is headed to Canada. We thought we would be moving this week - I mistakenly believed my husband could easily get a visitors visa. We are saving money by putting our stuff on my parents truck but now we wait for the PR in a pretty empty house. I still have a month until I get sponsorship approval! I'm so anxious. It's taking so long! I'm going to be bored waiting...but I'm excited our stuff is gone. I've been packing FOREVER! Now the baby and I fly to Canada for 3 weeks so that will pass some time.

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
canadiangirl78 said:
Well the moving truck arrived this morning and our stuff is headed to Canada. We thought we would be moving this week - I mistakenly believed my husband could easily get a visitors visa. We are saving money by putting our stuff on my parents truck but now we wait for the PR in a pretty empty house. I still have a month until I get sponsorship approval! I'm so anxious. It's taking so long! I'm going to be bored waiting...but I'm excited our stuff is gone. I've been packing FOREVER! Now the baby and I fly to Canada for 3 weeks so that will pass some time.
Don't worry, you will get sponsorship approval before you know it! I am just filling out the rest of the forms and hoping to send the package out mid to later on this week! I am so worried, ahh!