Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
chickie72 said:
It was a long haul but thankful that part is over, it feels like I am finally getting someplace even though I know I won't be hearing from them again for a long time LOL
Congratulations! You should order your case notes and see what took them so long (although usually the only hang up for sponsor approval relate to the relationship or doubts about finances).

Hope the rest of your process is smooth sailing!

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
computergeek said:
I understand your desire to make this less difficult for you, but the processes are designed to make sure things work a specific way for the government and your convenience is not a factor in that policy.

Unless she has landed, she is not eligible for the settler's exemption. If she owns a home in Canada or has a lease of three years or longer on a property in Canada, she can import the goods as a "seasonal resident" (this is a once-in-a-lifetime exemption and the goods are imported permanently). If she is coming to work (or visit) in Canada for less than 36 months, she may bring them in as "temporary personal goods" and thus is exempt from paying GST/HST on them until she leaves - and in this case she can then declare them as settler goods when she lands.

But she cannot come to Canada as a temporary visitor and fill out the B4/B4A forms in advance as if she were a settler.

See: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn11-003-eng.html

Oddly, I was just going over this stuff yesterday afternoon because I was discussing the landing process with someone. I previously brought my goods in as a seasonal resident (the benefits of property ownership) and the question was whether or not I needed to re-declare them at the point of landing. Seasonal resident goods are a permanent form of importation, so there is no need to re-declare them. Temporarily imported goods (e.g., on a work permit) however would require being declared at the point of landing.

So, technically, she would need to import them on a temporary basis (for a stay of less than 36 months) and then when she lands she would have to declare the goods again, this time showing them as being a permanent importation.

While you should ultimately ask CBSA, from what I've read she should present her B4/B4A at the time she gets her Visitor Record. That becomes a temporary importation. When she lands, she needs to re-declare everything on B4/B4A forms, even thought it is in Canada already. That makes the importation permanent.

We figured out that properly planned, you could actually get three permanent importations into Canada:

- When you come up as a seasonal resident (this is once-in-a-lifetime, so don't waste it!)
- When your temporary status exceeds 36 months (e.g., your work permit gets renewed)
- When you land as a permanent resident.

These cases also don't have any financial limits on amounts, although the seasonal resident exemption requires that you pay GST/HST on anything you sell or dispose of within the first year. Also, there are limitations on importation of some items (tobacco, alcohol) in all categories.

Good luck!
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was unsure under what classification she would fall under in this case. From the sounds of it, we'll have to present the B4/B4A forms when we arrive at Customs after our flight from the US and use the classification "temporary resident". Once she receives her permanent residency, we'll then have to declare them permanently (through another form perhaps). I'll speak with CBSA to confirm everything, but this gives me a good start. Much appreciated!

chickie72

VIP Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, JA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-12
Doc's Request.
09-06-13
AOR Received.
20-06-12
File Transfer...
04-10-12
Med's Request
20-06-12
Med's Done....
07-09-12
Passport Req..
March 4, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
March 20, 2014
LANDED..........
March 22, 2014
No I know why it took so long, I originally filed on Feb 29th but they returned my application back to me at the end of June as documents were missing and one was incorrect, so i returned them Sept 19th and finally got my sponsor approval now. It is my own fault and am just glad everything is back in process now. Hubby has been gone for 8 months now and I want him back soon!

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
Re: Moving Goods to Canada

I spoke with CSBA and they told me that I can't even fill in the B4 form because she would only qualify as a visitor to Canada. In this case, we'd have to pay all appropriate HST and duties (which I was aware of) before the items are released. My question is, since the tariff booklet is like 99 chapters long, does anyone have a simplified guide of what would be considered subject to a duty? For example, I'm aware that all furniture made outside of North America is subject to 9.5% duty along with 13% HST. I'm wondering if anyone knows the other classifications for household goods or can point me to a document that lays it out for me. Thanks!

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
computergeek said:
I understand your desire to make this less difficult for you, but the processes are designed to make sure things work a specific way for the government and your convenience is not a factor in that policy.

Unless she has landed, she is not eligible for the settler's exemption. If she owns a home in Canada or has a lease of three years or longer on a property in Canada, she can import the goods as a "seasonal resident" (this is a once-in-a-lifetime exemption and the goods are imported permanently). If she is coming to work (or visit) in Canada for less than 36 months, she may bring them in as "temporary personal goods" and thus is exempt from paying GST/HST on them until she leaves - and in this case she can then declare them as settler goods when she lands.

But she cannot come to Canada as a temporary visitor and fill out the B4/B4A forms in advance as if she were a settler.

See: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn11-003-eng.html

Oddly, I was just going over this stuff yesterday afternoon because I was discussing the landing process with someone. I previously brought my goods in as a seasonal resident (the benefits of property ownership) and the question was whether or not I needed to re-declare them at the point of landing. Seasonal resident goods are a permanent form of importation, so there is no need to re-declare them. Temporarily imported goods (e.g., on a work permit) however would require being declared at the point of landing.

So, technically, she would need to import them on a temporary basis (for a stay of less than 36 months) and then when she lands she would have to declare the goods again, this time showing them as being a permanent importation.

While you should ultimately ask CBSA, from what I've read she should present her B4/B4A at the time she gets her Visitor Record. That becomes a temporary importation. When she lands, she needs to re-declare everything on B4/B4A forms, even thought it is in Canada already. That makes the importation permanent.

We figured out that properly planned, you could actually get three permanent importations into Canada:

- When you come up as a seasonal resident (this is once-in-a-lifetime, so don't waste it!)
- When your temporary status exceeds 36 months (e.g., your work permit gets renewed)
- When you land as a permanent resident.

These cases also don't have any financial limits on amounts, although the seasonal resident exemption requires that you pay GST/HST on anything you sell or dispose of within the first year. Also, there are limitations on importation of some items (tobacco, alcohol) in all categories.

Good luck!
Hey computergeek, I just spoke with a senior office at CBSA and they said that my wife would qualify as a settler in this case because her "intention" is to establish permanent residence. In order to prove this "intention", we would simply have to provide proof that she has a PR application in process (which should be easy enough to do). The goods would be exempt from HST/duties in this case.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
santoki said:
Hey computergeek, I just spoke with a senior office at CBSA and they said that my wife would qualify as a settler in this case because her "intention" is to establish permanent residence. In order to prove this "intention", we would simply have to provide proof that she has a PR application in process (which should be easy enough to do). The goods would be exempt from HST/duties in this case.
I hope you got the name of that officer, because odds are you will get a different officer at the border and I hope they have the same interpretation. But that would be good news. What I find ironic about this is that the same rationale could be used to refuse her entry ("we don't think you plan on leaving...") This does underscore one thing I've seen repeatedly with immigration: the process has a fair amount of "interpretation" and how it is administered is not always consistent with the rules.

Good luck!

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
computergeek said:
I hope you got the name of that officer, because odds are you will get a different officer at the border and I hope they have the same interpretation. But that would be good news. What I find ironic about this is that the same rationale could be used to refuse her entry ("we don't think you plan on leaving...") This does underscore one thing I've seen repeatedly with immigration: the process has a fair amount of "interpretation" and how it is administered is not always consistent with the rules.

Good luck!
I plan on calling a few more times and speaking with a few different officers to see what their interpretation of this rule is. If I can get a consistent answer across 4-5 different officers, then chances are this is correct. Hopefully the PR comes in before that time, but at this rate, I almost doubt it will. I'll report back either way to update.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
santoki said:
Hopefully the PR comes in before that time, but at this rate, I almost doubt it will. I'll report back either way to update.
I hope so too as well. Your timeline is almost identical to mine, so hopefully you and the other march 2012 folks will be receiving PPR very soon.

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
computergeek said:
I hope so too as well. Your timeline is almost identical to mine, so hopefully you and the other march 2012 folks will be receiving PPR very soon.
That would be awesome, but I'm trying not to compare our timelines because yours is a special case. I can't wait to see who the first March US outland will be!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
santoki said:
That would be awesome, but I'm trying not to compare our timelines because yours is a special case. I can't wait to see who the first March US outland will be!
Oh, I know, the whole thing is so screwy. I was over reading that March 2012 inland people are now receiving AIP. I haven't seen any report second stage completion yet, but as that starts to happen the whole "go outland, it's faster" is going to look like bad advice. But back in March, who knew that Buffalo would be closed in May?

Well, I'm not the first March 2012 to get PPR, but I'm thinking I'm well positioned to be the first March 2012 LA to land - crossing my fingers!

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
computergeek said:
Oh, I know, the whole thing is so screwy. I was over reading that March 2012 inland people are now receiving AIP. I haven't seen any report second stage completion yet, but as that starts to happen the whole "go outland, it's faster" is going to look like bad advice. But back in March, who knew that Buffalo would be closed in May?

Well, I'm not the first March 2012 to get PPR, but I'm thinking I'm well positioned to be the first March 2012 LA to land - crossing my fingers!
Ugh, very frustrating. I wouldn't recommend my immigration consultant to anyone (who told us to go Outland) for various reasons. My mother is about to go through the process with her husband in a month's time. She's debating whether to do it herself or use a consultant. Anyone have any recommendations in the GTA?

ccunnington

Nov 19, 2011
Sincelejo, Colombia
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2012
AOR Received.
19-06-2012 (Mississauga). 06-11-2012 (Bogota).
File Transfer...
11-07-2012
Med's Done....
10-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2013
computergeek said:

That would be great for you! Here's hoping....some of us outlanders have a looonnnnggg wait ahead of us! We've been 3 1/2 months since file transfer, and haven't heard a thing yet....

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
ccunnington said:
That would be great for you! Here's hoping....some of us outlanders have a looonnnnggg wait ahead of us! We've been 3 1/2 months since file transfer, and haven't heard a thing yet....
Where do these predictions/rumours come from? I've seen some people say we could be waiting up to a year. I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anybody because no one wants to say anything that might resemble a real answer for fear of being incorrect. If this process takes longer than 10-11 months for us outlanders, where do we get medicals done again? We did ours back in February, I believe, and I would hate to have to shell out another few hundred dollars because CIC can't process a simple application in a reasonable amount of time.

ccunnington

Nov 19, 2011
Sincelejo, Colombia
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2012
AOR Received.
19-06-2012 (Mississauga). 06-11-2012 (Bogota).
File Transfer...
11-07-2012
Med's Done....
10-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2013
santoki said:
Where do these predictions/rumours come from? I've seen some people say we could be waiting up to a year. I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anybody because no one wants to say anything that might resemble a real answer for fear of being incorrect. If this process takes longer than 10-11 months for us outlanders, where do we get medicals done again? We did ours back in February, I believe, and I would hate to have to shell out another few hundred dollars because CIC can't process a simple application in a reasonable amount of time.
Well i'm not sure about your visa office, but Bogota lists up to 16 months processing time...as far as medicals are concerned, apparently they can now be extended if you're close to the end of the process and the medical is about to expire. There's a thread on here somewhere about it.

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
ccunnington said:
Well i'm not sure about your visa office, but Bogota lists up to 16 months processing time...as far as medicals are concerned, apparently they can now be extended if you're close to the end of the process and the medical is about to expire. There's a thread on here somewhere about it.
Thanks, I'll try to find it.